It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: New deal for Blackwater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

EXCLUSIVE: New deal for Blackwater

washingtontimes.com

On Feb. 2,...Robert Wood, said the department had told Blackwater "we did not plan to renew the company's existing task force orders for protective security details in Iraq."

But records available through a federal procurement database show that on that same day, the State Department approved a $22.2 million contract modification for Blackwater "security personnel" in Iraq, with a job completion date of Sept. 3, 2009.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19 Mar 09 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Despite all of the atrocities committed by Blackwater, their contract has been renewed. For those that don't know, Blackwater is now going by the name Xe, in an attempt to distance themselves from their past.

There doesn't seem to be any real action taken against a company responsible for a number of "incidents" where innocent people lost their lives.

This is both surprising and mundane at the same time. I am genuinely surprised that the US continues to contract this company, however, it appears that this is business as usual.

edit: At least the contract was only for $22.2 million /sarcasm.

washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-3-2009 by kawz1]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Go Blackwater!

I hope they get all kinds of contracts. Everyone loves to point their fingers at Blackwater because they do the jobs our politicians don't have the courage to support. They don't have to be "politically correct", they identify problems and erradicte them.

Just be thankful we don't have to rely on UN forces to help in these trying times.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Whether it's Xe or Blackwater, the stench is still the same.

There shouldn't be a need for them anyway, (but there was).

Get corporations out of the action completely. Use our services better.

War whores, . . be gone !

(They're banned in Irag but their contract was re-newed ?)
( I wonder if it was competively bid or just "given".)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just one more example of the government saying one thing and doing another. The government could tell us that the sky is blue and I would still go outside to see for myself.

Kawz, there were charges brought against a bunch of Blackwater guards late last year, but I have not heard anything about it since then. This article is from December 8, 2008.

Blackwater Guards Charged with Manslaughter

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Good news, good news.

For all you in favor of the government using a company until it appears bad for them to do so say say "I".

Private security forces play in important role in today's world. Issues have come up with XE but these issues could have happened to any private security force. If you are not willing to physically put yourself into a situation then what business do you have judging those who do. Many of you are quick to judge what happens in combat situations but 99.9% of you have no idea of what is going on.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Did anyone bother to read the article? The issue is that the government said "We're not renewing this contract" and then the SAME DAY gave them over 22 million dollars when Iraq has not renewed their license. In other words, the government is giving this company over 22 million dollars to operate in Iraq when they might not be able to legally work there.

Now the question is: Did Iraq change its mind about the license or are Blackwater/Xe just going to operate there regardless of the legality?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Good news, good news.

For all you in favor of the government using a company until it appears bad for them to do so say say "I".

Private security forces play in important role in today's world. Issues have come up with XE but these issues could have happened to any private security force. If you are not willing to physically put yourself into a situation then what business do you have judging those who do. Many of you are quick to judge what happens in combat situations but 99.9% of you have no idea of what is going on.

"Combat" situations are why we train and maintain a standing Army. They are bound by the UCMJ and have long standing institutional codes of honor. Xe is a for profit company.

If you can't see the difference then it must be the paycheck blinding you.

"Private" enterprises should not conduct 'combat' actions.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Maxmars : I starred your answer. Well said.

Private security forces should remain just that, "private".

Combat action should be left to the soldiers fighting for their country and
a cause, not to those who plunder for the highest dollar.

top topics

join