It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Detainees May be released in the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Guantanamo Detainees May be released in the US

online.wsj.com

Attorney General Eric Holder said some detainees being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, may end up being released in the U.S. as the Obama administration works with foreign allies to resettle some of the prisoners.

ERIC HOLDER
Mr. Holder, in a briefing with reporters, said administration officials are still reviewing individual cases of the approximately 250 detainees to determine which will be put on trial and which may be released to comply with plans to close the detention facility by next year
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
WTF?! Has this administration completely lost it's mind??? With all the problems we have with illegal immigration, now the administration is going to try to illegally put all those dangerous criminals on our soil? When most top Generals and officials in the Pentagon say those that are currently there are the worst of the worst, is it really a good idea to let them run around our country? When one of the detainees released recently became the top general of the Taliban in Afghanistan, what do you think the detainees will do if they are released on our own soil? This administration is desperately trying to ruin our country at a rapid pace. When will we be brought out of the corner and into the spotlight where most people think we aren't crazy conspiracy theorists, and start seeing the light?

online.wsj.com

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Apparently there are some unanswered questions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They for the most part haven't been convicted of being criminals.

I'm not to convinced that bring the gitmo people to the US is a good idea.

If I had of been picked up and innocent. I wouldn't stay innocent for very long.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
A good portion of the people being held down there were innocent of any real crime against the US. However, they would have to be some kind of saint to not be ticked off at us for their extended vacation in Cuba.

Sounds like letting a bunch of angry foreign nationals into the country would play perfectly into the government's plan to weed out and "secure" the country from "domestic terrorists"

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
As I have not seen the charges, I cannot say why they are there. In a time of war, anyone suspected of terror crimes can be detained for any amount of time. Like it or not, that is the way it is. Also, these are not American citizens and are not privy to the rights that we are. People said before they didn't do anything or they haven't done anything to us, then they go over and lead a revolution against the US in Afghanistan. I don't know if any of you have been in the military, but you don't go from civilian to top General in a matter of a few weeks.
We put most of those people there for a reason, and while just like in our own country some people are imprisoned when they are innocent, if there is a shadow of a doubt that some one is a dangerous criminal, let em stay in Gitmo until we are sure one way or another. Years ago this wouldn't have been a problem. There would have been a military tribunal, and they would have been shot. It takes strong people to be able to do what the military does, especially when it isn't the popular decision. Especially when we catch someone who was a sniper and shot our best friend in the face, and then the American Public says he didn't do anything. He should be released. The problem is the MSM has made people believe that most of the people held in Gitmo are innocent people who are being denied their rights (ACLU), what rights? They fall under the Geneva Convention, and the laws of War, not the laws and rights of the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
A good portion of the people being held down there were innocent of any real crime against the US.

And you know this for a fact how? Remember you're the one making this claim, so please back it up with some proof. Are you basing that claim just because they were put there by the last administration and your hate for the Bush Administration drives you to make claims that may or may not be true? Or do you have proof?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

lol, you mean other than the fact that there's no way that every person in Gitmo was responsible for the attacks on 9/11 or the fact that no rational person would believe such a claim?

Well, there's this entire thread about it here:

Former State Department Official Says United States Knew Many Gitmo Prisoners were Innocent

Oh yeah and there's this

Oh, and this too

Nice try though

I understand the need to ferret out nasty rational moderates like myself who're only looking to keep America free though, it's a good fight.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The people in Gitmo weren't sent there just because they were in on 9/11, it's people that committed crimes against the Geneva Convention, against our troops, or having to do with the planning of terrorist events around the world. Who's to say the innocents haven't already been freed? Do you believe everything you read? Do you realize there are more than 4 versions of every story? Depending on the classification only some of the story is let out.
You are entitled to your opinion, if you want to believe all the people left in Gitmo are innocent, then ask yourself why after Obama said the first thing he would do is bring our troops home and close Gitmo, did none of it happen? We have been told we are continuing the war in Iraq for another 2 years, and Gitmo isn't closing down for at least another 6 months. If they were innocent, why not close it now and let everyone go? Why would more camps be erected in other countries? Why would we look to send them away to different countries? But most of all why in the hell when we have such an illegal immigration problem in this country as it is, allow more illegals that were suspected of terrorism stay in our country? If that happens, I guarantee you that you will see another terrorist act in this country and it will be one of the released prisoners from Gitmo.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I served in GTMO in detainee operations and I can tell you that those people deserve to be where they are.
It is true that most of the people there had little or nothing to do with 9/11, but they all are the upper echelons of Al qaeda and the Taliban. Most are well educated by western standards including Rhodes scholars. Most speak, read, and write in English.

Make no mistake these people are the executives of the terror network. Not the trigger pullers, even though many have plenty of experience with that.

These people largely are unrepentant for their actions and beliefs.

If it were up to me they would not be breathing.

Also, know that they have full access the the international red cross. This fact is largely over looked. As well is the fact that most of these people gained weight after living in GTMO for a while.

Putting these people in the civilian court system would be as good as setting them free ( look at what obama did with the Terrorist Abu al-Nashiri).

Which would be the security equivalent of giving Maddoff all of your money.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94
In a time of war, anyone suspected of terror crimes can be detained for any amount of time.

What war ? Where ? When ?

Never got the memo, did you ?

When was the last time USA officially declared the war against another COUNTRY ? Did some other country declared the war against the USA?

Terrorist attack is not act of war, that is why it is called a terrorist attack...

It takes strong people to be able to do what the military does, especially when it isn't the popular decision. Especially when we catch someone who was a sniper and shot our best friend in the face, and then the American Public says he didn't do anything. He should be released.

You obviously never been in the war...It is a very rare event and great luck for those caught behind enemy sniper to even reach the point of getting to the prison. Those are the lowest bastards I have EVER encountered in my entire life...

They fall under the Geneva Convention, and the laws of War, not the laws and rights of the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by irongunner
Make no mistake these people are the executives of the terror network. Not the trigger pullers, even though many have plenty of experience with that.

So, why are they not prosecuted?

What's the problem ???

Are their crimes beyond the power of the mighty USA judicial system ?

Why they are there, what is the reason, you should know, you been there, what is the problem ?

Let's hear it, I triple dog dare ya

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Does Speaker Pelosi need a house keeper or a workers the maintain her yard.

Maybe they should hire them at the White-House.

Let them bring there relatives to the US and put them to work for the democrats in congress.

Maybe if they got good paying jobs in the US they would no longer be mad at the US.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

So, why are they not prosecuted?

What's the problem ???

Are their crimes beyond the power of the mighty USA judicial system ?

Why they are there, what is the reason, you should know, you been there, what is the problem ?

SO,

What you think I am afraid to tell the truth about the US legal system?

First, because most of where the terrorists operate is a third world country it's a little hard to collect evidence, and in our backwards ass legal system they would walk.
Second, because they do understand that what they do is terrorism they compartmentalize their operations from recruiting to execution, making the only connection between seemingly innocent actions is the testimony of other terrorists.
Third, you have bleeding heart liberals that want American's to be more angry at other American's than at the terrorists that have sworn oaths to destroy the US and the rest of western civilization. Look at the haditha incident, Congressmen called American service men murderers before any kind of investigations or trials. Ohh, and Congress didn't have multiple tapes of Marines taking credit for the killings either.
So, before you mention why these killers haven't had a trial why don't you explain to me how several tax cheats are at the apex of the US government, how drug lords are listed on the Forbes top 500 list of the wealthy yet are left free, or how our politicians don't have the spine to uphold the Constitution.

Or are you just one of those bleeding heart liberals who think that American WASPS are the only ones capable of such depravity....that is other than Israel?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I served in GTMO in detainee operations and I can tell you that those people deserve to be where they are.
It is true that most of the people there had little or nothing to do with 9/11, but they all are the upper echelons of Al qaeda and the Taliban. Most are well educated by western standards including Rhodes scholars. Most speak, read, and write in English.

These people largely are unrepentant for their actions and beliefs.

If it were up to me they would not be breathing.

Also, know that they have full access the the international red cross. This fact is largely over looked. As well is the fact that most of these people gained weight after living in GTMO for a while.

Putting these people in the civilian court system would be as good as setting them free ( look at what obama did with the Terrorist Abu al-Nashiri).

Which would be the security equivalent of giving Maddoff all of your money.

Thanks for adding some truth to speculation. LOL - some of them got FAT while serving time. Yea, we're such a mean, mean country..

+1 on they shouldn't be alive.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

In a time of war, anyone suspected of terror crimes can be detained for any amount of time.

When was the last time USA officially declared the war against another COUNTRY ? Did some other country declared the war against the USA?

Terrorist attack is not act of war, that is why it is called a terrorist attack...

It takes strong people to be able to do what the military does, especially when it isn't the popular decision. Especially when we catch someone who was a sniper and shot our best friend in the face, and then the American Public says he didn't do anything. He should be released.

You obviously never been in the war...It is a very rare event and great luck for those caught behind enemy sniper to even reach the point of getting to the prison. Those are the lowest bastards I have EVER encountered in my entire life...

They fall under the Geneva Convention, and the laws of War, not the laws and rights of the Constitution.

What part of "JIHAD" do you not understand?? Remember, that little cute chant they love to do in their videos?? If they declare war on us, then we will reciprocate in similar fashion - by declaring war on THEM.

The terrorists in gitmo would happily use you to their advantage, and then leave you in a dumpster when they are through with you.

JIHAD - read up on it.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

WTF?! Has this administration completely lost it's mind??? With all the problems we have with illegal immigration, now the administration is going to try to illegally put all those dangerous criminals on our soil? When most top Generals and officials in the Pentagon say those that are currently there are the worst of the worst, is it really a good idea to let them run around our country? When one of the detainees released recently became the top general of the Taliban in Afghanistan, what do you think the detainees will do if they are released on our own soil? This administration is desperately trying to ruin our country at a rapid pace. When will we be brought out of the corner and into the spotlight where most people think we aren't crazy conspiracy theorists, and start seeing the light?

online.wsj.com

Nope their right on track, Bush and kerry were both rogues setup for this, same with mccain, hillary and obama, we wouldve gotten stupid crap. HEY MY GOVERNMENT, YEAH YOU LOSERS, SHUT UP, SIT DOWN, AND LISTEN TO US FOR ONCE. BACK DOWN LIARS>

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stinger94

Yeah that sounds great!

First we torture them, then we release them into the American population.
Then we disarm the American people and leave them defenseless.
Finally we sit back at watch the fireworks.

I am against Gitmo but I am not for releasing tortured Muslims onto Americas streets.

It seems like this administration wants bloodshed and it looks like its American blood that they want.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Or are you just one of those bleeding heart liberals who think that American WASPS are the only ones capable of such depravity...

No.

I'm one of those who actually tasted the war in the worst possible sense...

Been in the over 3 years of civil war.

Seen things from entire villages being wiped from the face of the earth (kids, women, children and farm animals), massive graves and use of heavy rocket launchers (Katyusha) on civilian population.

Been on the front line, fought for the ideals which I did not fully identify with, because I was forced to, those who called them self my enemy were on my door step, ready to kill me for what they believed into and "shared" my time in concentration camp (not to be confused with military prison) for 11 months deprived of Geneva convention, so I have a little insight of how things are...

If there was no International Red Cross from Geneva to intervene after 9 months to trying to get to us, I would not be here to talk to ya about it

No, I'm one of those who believe in Geneva convention and International Red Cross, simply, because they saved my life, while armchair generals of the world were watching and doing nothing about it...

Yep, you can call me liberal, or whatever you want, but rule of law is a rule of law, if they do not have it does not mean that we need to discard it, we ARE better than that, at least I want to believe that

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have but one retort to the right-wing whiners arguing these guys should never be let on US soil.

You caught 'em, you own 'em. 'Nuff said.
The flies wondered into your web, no one else's.

This is America's problem and America's problem alone.

Why does Cuba have to foot the bill for a bunch of prisoners they never asked for nor had anything to do with their capture?

Oh right, I forgot, so no one can tell we're torturing the hell out of them.

Hey you want to fruitlessly imprison people that in all likelihood had nothing to do with terrorism (since less than 1% have been prosecuted) face the consequences.

You have to hang onto these guys until they can legally be extradited back to their home countries, if at all.

[edit on 21/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

You caught 'em, you own 'em. 'Nuff said.
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Sorry buddy but its Bill Kristol and the other neocons problem not mine as I never supported this illegal war.

Thats like making me pay for your mortgage cause you defaulted or vice versa

top topics

<<   2 >>

join