It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Week Shortened in Attempt to Lower Costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Will Kids Spend More Time in the Classroom?

Districts in about 17 states already have a four-day week, and similar proposals are being debated in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Missouri, and Washington...

Students are not losing instructional time. Instead, districts are eliminating one school day but adding hours to the other four days of the week in an attempt to lower costs.

Looking back at my school days, I would've loved nothing more than 3-day weekends every weekend. However, this just means more cramming of knowledge as opposed to actual learning.

I do not feel like this is the schools' fault, as they are making due with the limited budgets they are afforded. It is really sad to see that the economic woes bubbling up and bursting in this country are forcing schools to behave like they are a failing company. This does not bode well for the future. We are mortgaging the youth just to save a little scratch.

What do you think about a 4-day school week being forced on districts due to financial instabilities? Will the kids still be receiving a "proper education"?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
How exactly does this save money, if it's the same number of classroom hours? I suppose it might be less school buses that have to run (8 trips a week instead of 10) and a few things like that, but all the biggest costs are still going to be the same, like teacher wages or school supplies or building maintenance.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
What are parents supposed to do for younger students who may need supervision an extra day a week if both parents work? This seems pretty radical to me and could be more important than just a schedule change.

new topics

join