It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum leap for faster computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Quantum leap for faster computers

news.bbc.co.uk

Super-fast quantum computers are now a step closer to becoming a reality, thanks to a breakthrough by scientists.

Edinburgh and Manchester University researchers have created a molecular device which could act as a building block for super-fast computers.

They have created components that could be used to develop quantum computers, which can make intricate calculations faster than conventional machines.

The academics used molecular scale technology instead of silicon chips.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well SkyNet here we come. We may soon be hitting some of those bench marks way before they were ever predicted. The more I read this the more I imagine how the Human Brain may work.

At this rate machines may become aware a hell of a lot sooner than ever thought possible. It goes on to say.

They achieved the breakthrough by combining tiny magnets with molecular machines that can shuttle between two locations without the use of external force.

The manoeuvrable magnets could one day be used as the basic component in quantum computers. Very Interesting

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
when the machines take over i'll gladly fold to the supreme power, plus they can give me accurate directions to the beach and stuff.

nah but really i think this could have a better outcome then you think, unless the only quantum computers end up in the hands of some F'd up people.
Imagine what this could do for scientific study into every field imaginable, the possibilities are pretty amazing. And after quantum computers imagine your media center and how fast everything will get, if they could be used for entertainment.
good op.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Intel will probably muscle their way into the technology, buy all the rights, then make sure it's not released for decades

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
But can it play crysis at full settings and resolution i ask?

Anyway,quantum computing is in reach for most peoples lifetimes,i wouldnt be surprised if the military already have such technology,but in your home..id say within 15 years...if your over 65..sorry...statistics show you wont see them.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As in most high tech, the military will make use of it first to kill people more efficiently then perhaps we can enjoy faster puters.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Looks like we're still on track for the singularity, I just hope it doesn't take the form of self aware computers because it doesn't take a super computer to see that this world is F'n insane.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Why must someone always make a connection to some movie about the end of the world?

Seriously, Terminator is FICTION. Yes, it features AI, yes AI exists in the real world.
But sorry, no, we are not going to have a SkyNet take over the world with machines that hunt & kill humans.

Get a grip on reality.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

Why wouldn't smart machines consider us obsolete eventually? I sometimes think we're already obsolete.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't get it all that skynet bull.. All pc combined and all the supercomputers combined connected too the internet surpass the human brain so we should all ready be killed by the definition those people use .. they say CPU / pc which is faster ect than the human brain wil destroy us all and that allready is a reality so why arent we dead ?

but I like this advance in science and knowledge now we need an advance in the systems used to get us of this planet controlled by these quantum pc.

Rockets are so old fashioned we need a different propultion system which uses not gas or other liquid or solid state fuel which has to be burned. we need a system which interacts with particles and fields like the magnetic field ect. and these quantum computers can be used to find these propulsion methodes.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Its the way in which the human..and other animals minds work,not how many processes it can do in a second,i bet when there is a code that has a self learning mechanism to that of humans and other animals it will actually be easy peasy.Couple that will enormous(far beyond our own) processes per second and you will have..i dont know..it will be scary and magnificent at the same time.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12
Why must someone always make a connection to some movie about the end of the world?

Seriously, Terminator is FICTION. Yes, it features AI, yes AI exists in the real world.
But sorry, no, we are not going to have a SkyNet take over the world with machines that hunt & kill humans.

Get a grip on reality.

Lets face facts.
Hypothetically speaking if by 2009 we had not already invented the internal combustion engine and we developed it say tomorrow the military would classify it top secret so they would have an advantage over the enemy still on horse back

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Erm, no, they wouldn't. Go back in history and check if those things were classified before they became available to the public. You will be shocked.

The reason things are classified before they become available to the public in day to day applications, is because of how the defence-industrial complex has grown and evolved.
To say if the combustion engine was not invented till today, then it would be classified, is wrong because it totally ignores what has proceeded it in the years since it's invention.

In other words, as I suggested at the end of my last post, get a grip on reality.

There are so many flaws with how SkyNet takes over in the movies it's laughable to think that anyway would actually think it could happen in the real world.

Or maybe I'm a t1000 sent back from the future trying to throw you off the trail?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by BLV12]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
about time we ditch the stone-age silicon chip for something faster.
and that's all there is to this. no skynet here. not yet.

but if you're afraid of machines, just unplug from the wall.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
A small bump then off into the abyss

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is something that has interested me for a while now. I don't think we're too far off from seeing these commercially sold. I'm sure they'll be very expensive at first though. I doubt this will bring about SkyNet or anything like that. I would expect to see them used by the government to break encryption codes faster, and I would hope to see it used with programs like Folding@Home.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I really am speaking out of my arse, but I seem to remember one of the major hurdles with making faster computers dealt with the Sun, and the radiation emitted from it. I recall something about even currently on days with moderate solar activity it leads to the minor annoyances We all experience in the average computer. From what I remember it was one of the major issues with faster creating faster computers.

Does anyone else know anything about this? I wonder how it applies to this technology?

S&F

[edit on 19-9-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

new topics

join