It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FermiLab Discovers New, Untheorized Particle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

New Particle Throws Monkeywrench in Particle Physics

While they were searching for the newly narrowed down Higgs Boson, scientists at FermiLab found something they hadn't expected.

The hits just keep on coming from Department of Energy's Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. So far this month, the lab has announced the discovery of a rare single top quark, and then narrowed the gap — twice, actually — for the mass of the elusive Higgs Boson particle, or "God particle," thought to give all other particles their mass.

Now, scientists have detected a new, completely untheorized particle that challenges what physicists thought they knew about how quarks combine to form matter. They're calling it Y(4140), reflecting its measured mass of 4140 Mega-electron volts.

Source:www.universetoday.com...

The 'hits" just keep on coming!

Between Fermi and LHC we'll know more by the end of the year than we didn't know we didn't know.

jw

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Nice find

Things have been a bit quiet of late but Fermilab are definately starting to see some good results. Itll be nice to see this race hot up when LHC get turned back on.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

LHC should be ready any time now and the competition will be fierce. I have read that quantum physicists are among the most competitive and discovery-aggressive of all scientists.

Good for the rest of us.

jw

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I read somewhere its due back in June or spring which is good news, have to keep up to date on it a bit more now.
I am suprised though the Fermilab find hasnt recieved as much attention as it should. I bet if it was LHC there would be a whole lot more attention paid.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by pazcat

LHC should be ready any time now and the competition will be fierce. I have read that quantum physicists are among the most competitive and discovery-aggressive of all scientists.

Good for the rest of us.

jw

Yeah, between the Two labs we could witness the Construction of a Real "Death Star". Some relatively friendly competition is always a good thing, as it breeds ingenuity, and also allows for the verification of results.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You watch. With Cold Fusion being "Found" and this being "found" we can all of a sudden figure out a way to do some really cool scientific thing that I couldn't explain that somehow propels us off the edge of economic suicide.

I love technology.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
My take.. I think this is a perfect reminder of what we really know about matter on the quantum scale (not as much as we thought). This will not be the last unexpected find.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My take? We will finally realize how much time and $$$ we've wasted chasing these theoretical dream-particles - which are so fancy because they are constructed to fit/make sense of all the BS the Standard Theory spews out.

We will finally discover what really powers the universe (Electromagnetism), what the universe is really made of (Plasma), and...if we're lucky and the republicorps don't get greedy...we'll learn that we can get all the energy we'd ever need right out of our own backyard.

Nikola Tesla, anyone? His discoveries didn't quite fit in with the ole' US model of everyone paying handsomely for their power (instead coming up with a model for FREE power for all), and thus was eliminated.

Please don't let him die in vain!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I know someone who works there.I'll see what he has to say.
I know they were slow with work mabey this will pick things up

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Also just thinking, you guys have any questions I should ask him. I tried talking to him about black holes and stuff, it's all sounds cool even though I don't have a clue on how it all works.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
www.friesian.com...
Just to bone up on all those little neutrinos, bosons, quarks, leptons, gluons and all that.

Particle/Wave duality has got to be a limitation of our minds abilities. Not an actual dicotomy of existence but merely a reflection of our frame of reference.

I'd like to ask your friend questions, but I don't even know enough really to ask a good one.

How about - Since this seems to be a charm anticharm combination, can this new Y(4140) have its own anti-Y(4140) even so? This is Y(4140) is being refered to as a state and a particle. Are both correct and is this just a function of the wave-particle duality to call it both with popular literature calling it a particle and the physics hardcore calling it a state just being a matter of preference?

new topics

top topics

join