It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New nationwide strike hits France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

New nationwide strike hits France

news.bbc.co.uk

Hundreds of thousands of French workers are expected to join the country's second nationwide strike in two months.

Unions are protesting against President Nicolas Sarkozy's economic policies. Unemployment has reached two million and is expected to rise further.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
As an Englishman, it is a surprise to myself that I'm saying this, but:

Go France, go!!!

The worst bit? Read on...

Many people are angry that big companies like the oil giant Total is making staff redundant while simultaneously announcing record profits, the BBC's Emma Jane Kirby in Paris says.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-3-2009 by The Last Man on Earth]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Good job France. (wow, that felt weird to say)
Keep it up, you are starting to look better and better each time you stand up for yourselves. I applaud you.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
All we need now are strikes like this in Britain (because it's a lovely day and I'd like to get out of the office...).

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
All we need now are strikes like this in Britain (because it's a lovely day and I'd like to get out of the office...).

No money worries, then? You are lucky to have a job at all!

My feeling is that in the States, people won't do anything until it gets far worse than it is, and those who are still lucky enough to have a job, won't strike because they won't be able to afford a loss of pay.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
That is the one thing I respect about the French, they have the balls to stand up and fight when they disagree with government policies etc.

For once we should follow there lead, it's not as if we don't have enough things to protest about at the moment!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
There are national French strikes ALL THE TIME.

It's typically transportation workers, and it can be a pain if the metro isn't running because of this. Small inconvenience though.

My point... I've been saying, for a long time, we should respect the ability of the French people to be organized against common government issues.

Funny how, back in 2005 folks used to say "Buncha French whiners!". But now I hear Americans say "Yeah! Go get em!"

We ARE so very fickle...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
From the UK, good job Frenchies, For the rest of the world , unfortunately we never do anything like this and we all expect someone else to do it for us, thats why we never get anything changed.

Vive La France.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It said over 3 million people took to the streets (news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7951949.stm). It's hard to fathom how many people that actually is. That's crazy. More economic unrest, I wonder when it's going to hit America. David Icke wrote an article on his site that said whatever you do don't riot, it's exactly what they want so that they can finish what they started. I see what he's saying but I don't think we should go down without a fight.

(There's a video at that link too.)

[edit on 19-3-2009 by MSMLies]

new topics

top topics

join