It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Drops Controversial Health Care Plan for Wounded Veterans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

President Obama, after an uproar by veterans groups, has scrapped a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service.

"In considering the third-party billing issue, the administration was seeking to maximize the resources available for veterans," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Wednesday in a written statement. "However, the president listened to concerns raised by the [veteran service organizations] that this might, under certain circumstances, affect veterans' and their families' ability to access health care.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
holy crap. Im amazed. Really I am. He actually listened to the people this time. Eventhough I believe that this was all about PR..i still think it was the right move to make.
So what does that make him now... One for Twenty.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm glad to see he listened to the Vets. The plan shouldn't have even been announced, but I'm glad he took it off the table.

Who knows, this might show that he is going to start to try to reverse what Clinton did to the trust of the military. A Dem President for the military? It might be possible.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I think its PR. I still dont think he is as passionate of our military as some say he is. If he was though, I would be amazed.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I can't believe it even came up in the first place, honestly. You have to be a MORON to treat your military bad. Someone needs to study some world history, and isn't the AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!

This is rule numero uno: Treat your military as you would your own children.

Politics will get you an inch, a good military takes you the rest of the way, whether they fight or not.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I have hope though. He cancelled out his snubbing the troops for basketball gaffe with this in my book. He is back to even, lets see if how he treats us in the future.

Can't do any worse then what Clinton did.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

I have hope though. He cancelled out his snubbing the troops for basketball gaffe with this in my book. He is back to even, lets see if how he treats us in the future.

Can't do any worse then what Clinton did.

I dont know about that, haha. It will be a hard task to accomplish if he did get worse than Clinton in that respect, but I see how a lot of the military are looking at him as of today, and it dont really look to well. I havent been in the military in 7 years though, so I only keep contact with so many of them.
You are still in the military, how would you say the majority of the troops feel so far? The ones you know at least/They feelin optimistic about him, or vice versa?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Wow, impressive. Thank you, president Obama, for listening to the vets. My dad is a Vietnam vet who thanks to agent orange is 100 percent disabled. I am glad to see you won't be screwing him out of any benefits, or forcing him to bleed his private insurance to pay back your overbloated, out of control government coffer.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I recently got out of Active Duty and joined the Reserves for personal reasons. Its been about a month or so since I was active.

During the primaries and election I was buddies with the old war horses who served under Clinton and I spent 2 years under Clinton. We cringed when we found out Obama was going to be the next President. Our memories of Clinton stood out. We wanted McCain, mainly because he could identify with us and doesn't take war lightly, nor does he look down on it.

We knew that him being a POW he would weigh heavily on decisions that might put us in harms way. It wouldn't be an easy decision for him and if he made the decision to send us then we knew the good out weighed the bad.

Its hard to put our trust and lives in the hands of someone who never put on the uniform. However, we came to accept that he will be the one to make the decisions and hope that he does right by us and restore our faith that a Dem President will not treat us like red headed step children, like Clinton did.

Then again, there were some, like in the civilian world, who talked constantly about wanting to vote in the first black President. Those were the ones who didn't really know what Clinton did to the Military.

But hey, they are entitled to vote for what ever reason they wanted. We will see if it was the right choice.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Right. Scary times indeed. My cousin is being sent back to Iraq I think either this month or next month, it will be his 3rd time there I believe, hes in the Marines. Im not sure how he feels about Obama though, cause his family are pro democrat, but im not so sure about his views though as I dont get to talk to him much. I tried to give Obama a chance after he was elected to be that person he said he was going to be, but he hasnt showed me anything but scandals and shadiness. I can truly understand that these are indeed some rough times for many military members, but a lot of people dont see it. what can you do though? Lets just hope he treats them right. This decision was the best one so far in his presidency considering all.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I imagin yesterday as Mr. Obama walked in to the house of the president that perhaps the marines at the door glared at him a bit, perhaps the Marine pilot of Marine one had some technecal Dificulty and lost some Altitude! still it is an Obamanation that he even considered this for a second it should have been shot down the minute it was proposed!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

If you watched the Daily Show on Monday - Jon Stewart said "WTF"? over this idea! He made a big deal out of it!

So, I honestly think, by Jon Stewart being part of the "ARE F----ing kidding me?" over this, it was one of the reasons they had to completely back down on it.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Yea, I don't think that a "reporter" on a Comdey channel rates that high on the political radar.

Everybody was running the news about these veterans being against this, John Stewart wasn't the only one covering this.

new topics

top topics

join