It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Big is the "militia" in america?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I cant seem to find any numbers anywheres, are there any reliable or otherwise estimates or total size or the size of any individual groups?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Few groups use the label "militia" in the US.

All that does is bring the feds down on them.

The term militia now is linked to skinheads and KKK type groups and and now is just used by mostly skinhead and klan types.

Some groups now use the term Tri-Staters or Tri State Coalitions from the "Out of the Ashes" books by William W. Johnstone

www.lostbooks.org...

Others call themselves hunting or fishing clubs.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Heya, Coffinman.

Did ya try googling 'militias in U.S.A.' ?
I got back almost half-a-million results...

But two well-known ones that come to mind for me, are: Michigan Militia
and: Militia of Montana

If you're serious, you'd have to attend some functions!
don't forget to bring your hearing protection!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
My question is:

Why do YOU want to know?

It will be a tough fight, regardless.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well... something like 200 million weapons at a known number.

www.policefoundation.org...

128 million long guns and 64 million hand guns.

American civillian population, if organised, is the largest militia in the world. Americas combined millitary force has less weapons than 5% of the total population.

Now you understand all the auto weapon bans and the likes. If the people wake up there is no stopping them. And I hope they do. The bull$%^+ going on in your country is directly affecting mine down in the southern hemisphere!

Enough is enough!

[edit on 19/3/09 by GhostR1der]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am just curious is all. It is sad that the word Militia is linked to KKK and skinhead groups... especially american militia. proud history it has... im not talking about the national gaurd either.. but yeah, i still dont have any numbers here..??? im not talking about peopleless guns or gunless peoples, i want the peoples with the guns... how many is there right now? is the movement on the rise or is it dead? i think its a fundamental right, its what made us america better than other countries because if a tyrant ever were to sit in the white house, we had the RIGHT to boot him out if he sucked. I think the american public showed how lax it is by voting for bush a second time and then he was never impeached or arrested. scary times i think... hadnt realized how deep obama was with the NWO :\

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How many really does not matter.

What matters is the fact that they are all just self serving.

There is not collective effort between them, the tea party, the 912 people with Glenn Beck, etc.

There are 100's of different groups out there. It would not be hard to put together 100 thousand to "march" on DC, if there was a collective effort.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The answer is every able bodied male[and one could even say female] over the age of eighteen. This is what is constitutionally regarded as the militia. You cannot just consider the guns or those that have them. You will also need quartermasters, medical, organizers, transporters, the list goes on and on. One can be considered part of the militia and not ever touch a firearm. How big is this you might ask? Why everyone in the CONUS.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Most militia groups are not very public, just a few family members or just friends. Its just too risky to be very public, if you do go public and start recruiting from the general public you can guarantee that some sort of state or federal agent will be included in your group.

The Federal government in the 90's cracked down on many militia groups across the USA including Ruby Ridge, Waco Texas, Montana Freemen, The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord, and well the list just goes on and on. The federal government went after these groups both physically and by public propaganda campaigns, and it looks to me like they were successful.

Today mainstream America when they here the word militia they think radical, racist, domestic terrorists.

So finding the numbers of people in militias today is all but impossible. So that brings up the population of the USA at around 303 million people and at any given time half of this group is a potential militia member, because you can't make everyone happy. Also our prison population has tripled in the last 20 years.
USA-Prison Nation

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
It is sad that the word Militia is linked to KKK and skinhead groups...

Your tax dollars at work. The central government has been trying for almost half a century to redefine "militia" to mean "domestic terrorist group"; when, in fact, the traditional meaning of "militia" is entirely patriotic — an armed civilian body whose purpose is to locally defend against a hostile central government.

In case you haven't noticed, our modern central government is not only hostile, it's positively oppressive and un-American. Its ultimate objective is to undermine the U.S. Constitution, disarm the American populace, and destroy your right to revolt.

This much is obvious: Our central government is dangerous and a threat to our continued American liberties. If it requires an armed revolt to bring down the corrupt tyrants running (and ruining) our country, then I say Bring On the Revolution.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/19/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Ohio Unorganized Militia, 3rd Battalion

The Southwest Ohio Unorganized Milita is in NO WAY associated with the Aryan Nations. We welcome ALL American Patriots, regardless of the color of their skin, or their religious beliefs.

From the Constitution for the United States of America
Bill of Rights
Article the third [Amendment I]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Article the fourth [Amendment II]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

From the Ohio Constitution:
Article IX 1 Who shall perform military duty.

All citizens, residents of this state, being seventeen years of age, and under the age of sixty-seven years, shall be subject to enrollment in the militia and the performance of military duty, in such manner, not incompatible with the Constitution and laws of the United States, as may be prescribed by law.

(As amended Nov. 7, 1961.)

From the Ohio Revised Code:
5923.01 Composition and organization of state militia; definitions; troop limitation.

(A) The Ohio organized militia consist of all citizens of the state who are not permanently handicapped, as handicapped is defined in section 4112.01 of the Revised Code, who are more than seventeen years, and not more than sixty-seven years, of age unless exempted as provided in section 5923.02 of the Revised Code, and who are members of one of the following:
(1) The Ohio national guard;
(2) The Ohio naval militia;
(3) The Ohio military reserve.
(B) The Ohio national guard, including both the Ohio air national guard and the Ohio army national guard, the Ohio naval militia, and the Ohio military reserve are known collectively as the Ohio organized militia.
(C) The Ohio naval militia and the Ohio military reserve are known collectively as the state defense forces.
(D) The unorganized militia consists of those citizens of the state as described in division (A) of this section who are not members of the Ohio organized militia.
(E) No troops shall be maintained in time of peace other than as authorized and prescribed under the "Act of August 10, 1956," 70A Stat. 596, 32 U.S.C.A. 101 to 716. This limitation does not affect the right of the state to the use of its organized militia within its borders in time of peace as prescribed by the laws of this state. This section does not prevent the organization and maintenance of police.

www.mpna.com...

See, the thing is, after Oklahoman City, and Ruby Ridge, Militias have basically gone underground. they are unorganized, for the most part, so as not to draw attention from the Feds. Know this though, they can be called up at a moment's notice, so take heed, Feds and elite bankers!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
BIG!
BIGGER!!! (Second line)
TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!! (Third line)
\ /
---

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
"There are now thought to be over 400 militia groups in the United States, but many are believed to be inactive. The largest is the Michigan Militia, claiming a membership of over 10,000 people. Overall, militia groups allege that they have the support of over three million people, but this is more likely to number around 30,000"

thats according to Jane's World Insurgency and Terrorism, where do they get their numbers?

new topics

top topics

join