It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea 'holds US reporters'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

North Korea 'holds US reporters'

news.bbc.co.uk

North Korean soldiers have detained at least one Korean-American journalist near the North's border with China, South Korean media say.

YTN TV channel quotes a South Korean official as saying two reporters were held after being asked to stop filming.

Other reports say one female journalist was arrested.

It is not yet clear who the journalists were working for. The reports come amid heightened tension between the US and North Korea.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hmmm, you really have to wonder how much controll the ChiComs have over Kim. I suspect they are truly pulling the strings and are using them to keep the US occupied. Kim seems to do nothing without his masters blessings.

If this missile overflys Japan they should take it out. Space program by rear end

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
already posted!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If you ask me, what they did is the same thing as taking hostages.
Why did they arrest this person? What charge? Last time I checked, I didnt think "being a camera man/woman reporting on facts" was an offense? If they dont release these people, I can sense that things can get really ugly really soon. Afterall, 'terrorists' didnt take them, a country did.
Lets see how this all pans out. Hopefully they get released soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If they are holding a US journalist, why isn't plastered all over the news here in America. We would something. But there is nothing. Not even as much as a side note. This story seems fishy and I wonder what the truth really is. On N Korea having missiles. I am not surprise if they have been supplied rockets already that can reach Japan if not the west coast.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
History repeating..not to mention more mutliple threads on the same subject.

This may be a mirror of the Iran hostage situation back in the late 70's.

US citizens held for bargaining points.

Only this time, I doubt the US government will do much for a few reporters since they dont seem to do much for the entire populace of the country..except to rip us off at every turn.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
An interesting and worrying development.

Here's an update from the other NK-related thread.

Japan to ready defence against N Korea rocket

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
If you ask me, what they did is the same thing as taking hostages.
Why did they arrest this person? What charge? Last time I checked, I didnt think "being a camera man/woman reporting on facts" was an offense?

As I posted in the other thread, it has been reported that they were actually in North Korea when they were arrested. Without visas.

That's a legit arrest, in any country.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Now why in the hell would they be stupid enough to go to N.Korea without Visas? If that is the case, then yea, they deserve to be arrested. You cant just go into any country you feel like whenever you feel like without credentials.
Is that what the N.Koreans are saying? Or is that what our own people are saying? This could just be a 'reason' they made up for taking them.

But if what they say is true, then they should be arrested. Politics aside, they broke an international law.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
At this stage, the story is still coming out. The Russian and South Korean news media are both reporting that they were arrested in NK.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

en.rian.ru...

The earlier reports of NK soldiers invading China to capture them make no sense to me - the Chinese may be the closest thing NK has to an Ally, but even they're not likely to let that happen. It'd be about as likely as US border guards allowing Mexican soldiers to wander over and make an arrest in El Paso

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'm not surprised that the journalists were 'detained'. For a peek at what life is like in NK, read the FAQ from their official website:

www.korea-dpr.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I don't buy it. They had to cross the border at some point. I doubt they parachuted into the country. Having been to South Korea many times, I know how difficult it is to cross into North Korea. They would have been looked at and studied over and over while crossing. No visas? I doubt it.

If they flew in, North Korea has a very stiff Customs force. Same thing here. They would have been looked at and studied over and over upon arrival.

Now, North Korea crossing the Chinese border and taking them? Yeah, I can believe that. And it would substantiate their having "no visas".

I do have to laugh to myself though, when I hear others lament about the MSM saying nothing about it. Heck, they don't even tell you what's going on in your own country!

top topics

join