It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - North Korea holds US reporters!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Alright, I know you were a little late responding to this, for this story broke a week ago and you are now just catching onto it, but at the time nobody knew why they took them in or why. So dont attack me for asking why they took them in when nobody knew the full story. Dont be an ahole =)
Thanks.

Edit to add- I never said anything was an "Act of War". stop putting words in peoples mouths.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

You sure can kick up a big stink about absolutely nothing.

It is nothing like the mexican illegal immigrants entering the US. They do that to work/live and suck up some welfare/medicare. I am sure these reporters, whatever their crime, did not intend to live/and take welfare/medicare from N Korea.

Illegal Immigration is Illegal immigration.

It doesn't matter if the intentions of the immigrant are to stay permanently, or stay for a few hours, you need proper the visas, documentation and passports otherwise you're an illegal alien and subject to deportation or imprisonment, as you are in virtually every country in the world.

It's trespassing, not illegal immigration.

They mean the same thing in the context of violating national borders.

Illegal aliens are people who trespass a country's border or to put it in other more PC words, illegally immigrate into a country, with authorization.

To illegally immigrate you have to trespass into another country. Trespassing into another country makes you an illegal alien/immigrant.

Starting to see the uniformity?

I have read "claims" that they were spying, due to the fact they were photographing N Koreans and their military.

It is generally consider wrong/illegal to photograph another countries military men/equipment. (In time of actual war, that can lead to removal of their equipment and a removal of the offending person from the country-for obvious reasons.

So it took you 4 paragraphs to finally agree with the conclusion I already reached?

You're very perceptive.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
I read somewhere they were separated from NK by a frozen river and may have gone across. I am familiar with Laura Ling from Current TV (back when my TV worked) and recall she was a very brave reporter getting access to some spooky places and doing dam fine reporting. It is kind of obvious the Chinese would be keeping an eye on her at all times and the North Koreans were probably aware of her presence just across the border.

I hope they are treating her well. Better than we have treated some of our prisoners for sure. I hope that.

Yes many N.Koreans try to flee by crossing the tumen river into china then make their way to South Korea.Alot of people dont make it though and die on the river,there was a documentary about it that followed some people,it was filmed by some south koreans who were helping them flee,they found a frozen old woman on the river who obviously didnt make it.Very sad.Sorry for off topic.As for this they were there illegally,the N Koreans have every right to detain them,threads like these completely unmask the balatant bias of many Americans where its one rule for them and another for the rest of the world.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

You sure can kick up a big stink about absolutely nothing.

It is nothing like the mexican illegal immigrants entering the US. They do that to work/live and suck up some welfare/medicare. I am sure these reporters, whatever their crime, did not intend to live/and take welfare/medicare from N Korea.

Illegal Immigration is Illegal immigration.

It doesn't matter if the intentions of the immigrant are to stay permanently, or stay for a few hours, you need proper the visas, documentation and passports otherwise you're an illegal alien and subject to deportation or imprisonment, as you are in virtually every country in the world.

It's trespassing, not illegal immigration.

They mean the same thing in the context of violating national borders.

Illegal aliens are people who trespass a country's border or to put it in other more PC words, illegally immigrate into a country, with authorization.

To illegally immigrate you have to trespass into another country. Trespassing into another country makes you an illegal alien/immigrant.

Starting to see the uniformity?

I have read "claims" that they were spying, due to the fact they were photographing N Koreans and their military.

It is generally consider wrong/illegal to photograph another countries military men/equipment. (In time of actual war, that can lead to removal of their equipment and a removal of the offending person from the country-for obvious reasons.

So it took you 4 paragraphs to finally agree with the conclusion I already reached?

You're very perceptive.

It would not be a big issue if you stated the truth, not your interpertation presented as fact.

Illegal immigration refers to immigration across national borders in a way that violates the immigration laws of the destination country. ...

en.wikipedia.org...

Immigration means to live in another country, not just illegally crossing over to take pictures.

Trespassing is completely different issue.

is a legal concept, which refers to intrusion into another person's property.

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope I was able to show you the difference in terms so you may use the correct terms in your posts so as to not give the wrong impression.

You just need to say what you mean and mean what you say.

Glad I could clear this up for you.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I used to watch CurrentTV A LOT and this isn't the first time they have had young journalists going over there and taking footage.
Good for them!
At least SOMEONE with an ounce of courage is showing the truth!
I'm SURE they knew the risks!
I hope they are released soon, without having to worship at the feet of kim il!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Here's your own source right backatcha pal:

Terminology
See also: Illegal immigration to the United States#Terminology

* illegal alien
* Illegal immigrant
* undocumented immigrant
* clandestine workers
* sans papiers/"without papers"
* Irregular immigrant/immigration
* undocumented immigrant/migrant/alien/worker/resident
* unauthorized immigrant/migrant/alien/worker/resident
* paperless immigrant/migrant/alien/worker/resident
* immigrant "without immigration status"
* out of status
* unnaturalized immigrant
* boat people

en.wikipedia.org...

All of the above as classified as illegal immigrants.

United States

It is illegal to enter the United States without inspection or authorization from government officials. The illegal entry of non-nationals into the United States is a misdemeanor according to the Immigration and Nationality Act, which prohibits non-nationals from entering or attempting to enter the United States at any time or place which has not been designated by an immigration officer, and also prohibits non-nationals from eluding inspection by immigration officers.

en.wikipedia.org...

And I rest my case.

[edit on 25/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I used to watch CurrentTV A LOT and this isn't the first time they have had young journalists going over there and taking footage.
Good for them!

Yes! Yippee for breaking the laws of another country and illegally crossing their borders without permission!

Woohoo for lawlessness!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The articles I can find say they were arrested for taking pictures (Most likely) on the Chinese side of the border.
Thereby NO Illegal Immigration!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I read they actually did cross the border into N Korea.

Of course they were not illegal immigrants -as they had no intention of moving to and living in N Korea.

If they were still in another country: S Korea or China, then that would imply that N Korean troops invaded S Korea or China to get the reporters.
If that had happened, I am sure much more of a stink would have been made.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The articles I can find say they were arrested for taking pictures (Most likely) on the Chinese side of the border.

Spying is still a crime, is it not?

How about if N. Korea sent a few "aid workers"/"journalists" to Mexico and took photographs of American border security patrols and INS border inspection bases?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

CurrentTv journalists aren't spies,
they are MUCH like ATS!
Trying to get to the Truth!
I wouldn't mind if a democratic NKorea were spying on us, if we were prisoners like most of the North Korean populace!
Go ahead and while you're at it, get Amnesty International, Voice of the Martyrs and other human rights agencies involved!

Here's an article from yesterday;
Journalists still held

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
For what it may matter, your link stated:

Chinese-American Laura Ling and Korean-American Euna Lee, who were detained by the North Korean military earlier this month after crossing the border between China and North Korea while they were reporting on refugees fleeing poverty

techcrunch

Clear,
please understand, I am only look for the facts and in no way challenging you, just the possible facts at hand.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No problem!
Well, there are differing reports.
Some say they DIDN'T cross the border, but that the guards did.
Whatever, the point is that NKorea doesn't like ANY filming that isn't flattering!
In one CurrentTV episode, they wouldn't let the guy take pictures of a statue of Kim Il, from his feet, looking up, because that was not 'respectful'!
Not to mention they couldn't go ANYWHERE without a government chaperone or take pictures of anything not specified!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
journalists are nuts sneaking in and around hostile countries. I don't think its worth starting a war and getting many killed - journalists trying to win an attaboy award and moving up the ladder are doing so at their own risk when they do this sort of reporting.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I agree with you.

N Korean security makes the security around US military bases/borders seem like Disneyland.

I believe it is VERY important to know for sure what really happened, I mean did they cross into N.Korea or did the N Korean troops cross into China?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I am all for stepping on NK like one would a cockroach, but I have one question. Why would a sane and rational person expect to go to NK and take photographs without being detained? I do not view this as kidnapping. Kidnapping is when they row a boat from NK to Japan and steal people.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

There are two possibilities that I see.

1) They border is not well defined and they crossed without realizing they had.
2) They knew where the border was and illegally crossed anyways-this would take all the steam out of the US's case.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I've been near the border of China and NK, I highly doubt anyone get's into China using that route. It is very likely that they were taken beyond what China controls at it's NK border.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join