It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - North Korea holds US reporters!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
come on guys, keep on the topic.

at this stage it has nothing to do with france or with the US taking on N.Korea (YET!!). Its a case of what happened.....and what is going to unfold???

Suggestions?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I suggest that N. Korea let go of them. They are not enemy combatants, they are reporters, doing what they are paid to do, report.
I think if they dont release them, that there willbe hell to pay for N. Korea.
If I was President of The United States, I wouldnt be letting them get away with this, I would be holding them accountable for every second they have our people locked up. If they didnt, well then I wouldnt be a very nice President from that point on.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Sorry for going off topic. My bad.
two lines.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
seems like N.Korea dont know what to do at the moment, so they talk of missile launch, satellite launch, of full scale war with S.Korea, they close the borders, open the borders, threaten to shoot down civilian aircraft, .....and now take reporters hostage.....

very strange, its like they are trying to confuse the enemy!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

They arent confusing us, they are pissing us off, thats what they dont realize. If they think they are going to 'outsmart' their enemies by confusing us, they are ill informed. but that was funny

God help them. They know not what they do.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
NK should have always been a target before Iraq IMHO. Sadam couldn't beat sh*t with a blender but the NK rhetoric was even in full effect back in 2001. If China and Japan could solve their differences, the West wouldn't have to step in at all. In all reality, this should have nothing to do with the West. Asia should be primarily taking care of their own region.

IRM

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
NK should have always been a target before Iraq IMHO. Sadam couldn't beat sh*t with a blender but the NK rhetoric was even in full effect back in 2001. If China and Japan could solve their differences, the West wouldn't have to step in at all. In all reality, this should have nothing to do with the West. Asia should be primarily taking care of their own region.

IRM

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment here. They certainly have the resources to deal with crazy assed North Korea. It's a very poor country ran by a completely insane person. It shouldn't take long to take them over. They people are probably dying for a change right now.

That said, if China and Japan won't take care of business with NK and NK starts taking our citizens hostage, well then something else WILL be done with them.

This isn't a leftist rebel group operating here. As someone else said, it is a country making an act of war. The United States cannot afford to not act.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by uplander

agreed as well.
I think some of you would make o.k Generals someday. but not all of you! hah.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Cutting through the rhetoric:

The most current reports are that they were arrested while trying to LEAVE North Korea, where they were illegally. As in, without papers or visas or anything else that every government in the world - bar none - requires journalists to have before going on assignment in the country.

en.rian.ru...

edit: another source (South Korea's Yonhap):
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

[edit on 19-3-2009 by vox2442]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well the first thing that has to be figured out where the journalists were detained . If they were not detained in North Korea then that regime has returned to its old habbit of the state sponsored kidnapping of foreign citizens for its own means . Hell North Korea even kidnapped a South Korean film maker by the name of Shin Sang-ok at one stage .

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I attempted to post something in defense of a post that was very insulting and negative to an entire country.

The mods have removed it.

You know, it is getting ridiculous on this site.

The mods and owners allow insulting posts, and pretty much ANY anti-Christian or anti-American posts, no matter how negative or sick.

But they do not allow anything in defense, or anything retaliatory.

Very, very unbalanced. Very, very deliberate.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
china/north korea, man this must be every countries worst nightmare to have a kidnapping involving these two. Must be hard getting access, getting info etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Ok,

This leads me to one simple question, among others.

Why does Kim want a war with US, US Allies???

He has/is doing his best to cause a war, IMO

He has to know if he did flatten Soul and the 30K US troops there, he would be vaporized.

It just does not make sense to me.

Now, the have, for all intent purposes, kidnapped Western reporters.

Is he really so insane as to think that that would stop Japan, much less the US from shooting down his ICBM test, er satilte launch (
:lol
?

I feel this will get ugly VERY fast.

Japan "WILL" shoot down Kim's ICBM, and if he kills the reporters, that will be his act of war.

So here it is:
Japan shoots down his rocket.
Kim kills the reporters.
Kim levels Soul and the US troops
Us vaporizes Kim and his military
????How does China react???
????How does Russia react???
????How does the UN/NATO/EU react????

I realize it seems as if I am going off tract, but I believe this is just a small part of the tract I see happening.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Why did they arrest this person? What charge? Last time I checked, I didnt think "being a camera man/woman reporting on facts" was an offense? If they dont release these people, I can sense that things can get really ugly really soon.

Oh I dunno, let's see:

-Illegally crossing the border into N. Korea without authorization.

-Taking photographs/gathering intelligence regarding sensitive military sites in North-Eastern N.Korea (which is where N. Korea tested it's "nuclear device" in 2006), coincidentally right across the border from the Yalu River.

-Possibly being CIA agents posing as journalists, which they routinely disguise themselves as: www.questia.com...
www.highbeam.com...

-Helping people defect from N. Korea.
Quote: ", according to the Rev Chun Ki-won of the Seoul-based Durihana Mission, a Christian group that helps defectors.

They also planned to meet with children of defectors, said Chun, who helped the journalists organise the trip."

au.news.yahoo.com...

I'm not playing Devil's Advocate here and suggesting N. Korea is an innocent party in International politics, but America is no angel either.

It's not beyond Washington and the Intelligence Bureaus to send undercover agents into N. Korea like this.

In fact it's probably somewhere high up there on their list of Intelligence gathering priorities.

So please, stay rational and chill out on the "Act of War" accusations.

[edit on 22/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
I suggest that N. Korea let go of them. They are not enemy combatants, they are reporters, doing what they are paid to do, report.
I think if they dont release them, that there willbe hell to pay for N. Korea.
If I was President of The United States, I wouldnt be letting them get away with this, I would be holding them accountable for every second they have our people locked up. If they didnt, well then I wouldnt be a very nice President from that point on.

I suggest you brush up on REALITY! United States citizens are NOT allowed to enter North Korea from China/Dandong. The ONLY time that US citizens are allowed to ENTER North Korea is the Mass Games (Airirang Festival).

Journalists are NOT allowed to enter North Korea without special permission.

If I was the Dictator of North Korea I would interrogate them.

What they did violated the rules of North Korea. Tough.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Glad to see someone else is seeing this incident for what it is, a breach of N. Korea's sovereignty.

You wonder into N. Korea illegally and expect to face some consequences.

The INS treats border-jumpers the exact same way in the United States, and no one for a second considers illegal immigration an "act of war" by Mexico.

It's illegal immigration, period.

The same way trespassing over a neighbour's fence or across the N. Korean border is trespassing either way.

You best believe, North Korea will act within it's State Laws and detain illegal aliens.
The same way America would.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
reply to post by deessell

Glad to see someone else is seeing this incident for what it is, a breach of N. Korea's sovereignty.

You wonder into N. Korea illegally and expect to face some consequences.

The INS treats border-jumpers the exact same way in the United States, and no one for a second considers illegal immigration an "act of war" by Mexico.

It's illegal immigration, period.

The same way trespassing over a neighbour's fence or across the N. Korean border is trespassing either way.

You best believe, North Korea will act within it's State Laws and detain illegal aliens.
The same way America would.

It is nothing like the mexican illegal immigrants entering the US. They do that to work/live and suck up some welfare/medicare. I am sure these reporters, whatever their crime, did not intend to live/and take welfare/medicare from N Korea.

It's trespassing, not illegal immigration.

I have read "claims" that they were spying, due to the fact they were photographing N Koreans and their military.

It is generally consider wrong/illegal to photograph another countries military men/equipment. (In time of actual war, that can lead to removal of their equipment and a removal of the offending person from the country-for obvious reasons.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Entering a country to work generally requires a visa. If you don't have one, you're an illegal. It's not immigration in the sense that they're looking to settle down and raise a family, but it is immigration nonetheless.

It doesn't matter if your company and paycheque are coming from another country. You're working there, you come under their rules. You may even have to pay tax on what you make while in the country.

For comparison, here's the USA's application process and criteria for getting a media visa: travel.state.gov...

And here's what happens if you try to work without one in the USA:
www.rcfp.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I read somewhere they were separated from NK by a frozen river and may have gone across. I am familiar with Laura Ling from Current TV (back when my TV worked) and recall she was a very brave reporter getting access to some spooky places and doing dam fine reporting. It is kind of obvious the Chinese would be keeping an eye on her at all times and the North Koreans were probably aware of her presence just across the border.

I hope they are treating her well. Better than we have treated some of our prisoners for sure. I hope that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join