It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Agree With Darwin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by converge
And what exactly is the extent of the Creator's intervention in that Creationism story, that accounts for the 'creation' of man after (assumingly) only a few thousand years after the Earth's creation?

Source

The Time Question

Much less has been defined as to when the universe, life, and man appeared. The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago.

Basically this is saying that the church has infallibly determined the universe is of infinite age but that the church has not defined whether the Earth is billions of years old or thousands of years old.

Therefore individuals can believe that the Earth is billions of years old and that belief is not irreconcilable with the Catholic faith.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studious

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time.

What this is saying is that the church ...

Well, what this is saying is that the Church is punting on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. Perhaps they don't want to upset the crazies who believe the Earth is really 6-10 thousand years old, because it's obvious that the complexity we see couldn't have been produced in a few thousand years.

However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

In other words: "We don't know sh*t about Evolution, but in the event of it being true the answer is: God did it."

Yeah, well there's a surprise...

Concerning human evolution ...

What? Human evolution is part of biological evolution, they aren't two separate things.

Even when I'm faced with so called moderate positions of religious beliefs I can't help but laugh and be dumbfounded at the same time, by the insanity and parallel realities these people make up.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by converge

What? Human evolution is part of biological evolution, they aren't two separate things.

The document states that God may have guided the creation of the human BODY and all other biological entities by evolution. While the human SOUL was created through special creation and thus did not evolve.

The separate category is formed to allow this distinction to be made.

(Disclaimer: The church makes no specific stand yes or no on evolution. However believing in evolution of the human body is reconcilable with the Catholic faith. As long as one believes in the special creation of the human soul)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm not sure why there is a big debate between the ID and evolution proponents. It seems obvious to me that God created the entire thing in 6 days, maybe over 6000 years ago (no word on how long Adam was in the Garden of Eden, since his aging didn't start until he left the place).

The way I see it, if God said it, I believe it.

Next, consider this point: could God make the entire thing appear to be aged? Could a zookeeper make a zoo cage that looks to the animals as if they are in their habitat? Well, if they can, then I wouldn't sell God short here. It would be nothing for Him to make this place appear any way He wants it to. Remember the little blue dot Earth on the Sagan photo from Voyager? en.wikipedia.org...
ale_Blue_Dot_(uitsnede).png We are virtually nothing in the vast emptiness of space. If God can make trillions of stars and stretch out a creation to limitless space, this blue dot is no big deal.

Curiously, I have a hidden scripture for you to back up this concept of the world being made aged. Well, first of all, He made Adam and Eve aged, and the fruit they ate came from trees that were made aged, etc. The entire planet was made aged. Let's take a look at what Jesus Christ said. The Bible says the first miracle that Jesus did in the New Testament was the turning of water into wine. The Bible says the first miracle that Jesus did in the Old Testament was when He created the universe (John 1). Ok, so now you have two creations. One was the universe, the other was the wine. Let's look at the similarities:

1. The wine was created instantly. It was created aged, according to those who tasted it at the scene.

2. The wine was created in six waterpots of water. The universe was created in six days.

3. The town that the wine creation took place: Cana, which is translated, to create, or to build.

Well, you can draw your own conclusion. Mine: With the wine, He literally gave us a little "taste" of how He made everything.

Then you have those rainbows in the granite that mean that all the granite on earth had to cool in 90 seconds. Polonium. See www.halos.com. The scientist that drew the creation conclusion is the world expert on these halos. www.halos.com... It appears his biggest opponents are those still persisting in believing in an old universe, easily considered antiquated uniformitarians.

If you can explain that scientifically, I'd like to know your answer. I think mine takes far far less faith to believe than the scientific suppositions.

Really, when you think about it, science has its hands full trying to explain the ooparts of modern human evidence that predate the dinosaurs. www.s8int.com...

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Jim Scott]

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Jim Scott]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join