It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falling for a virtual female/male

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I've been really into the advancements in the areas of virtual reality and things are moving pretty fast.

I actually believe we will have full immersion virtual realities before we even get close to something like A.I.

I actually think that consciousness is all that exists and consciousness experiences these parallel universes through beings like us.

So you could have virtual reality, within virtual reality forever. We could be in say Michael Jordan's virtual reality now and in and in another reality he works at Sears or something.

What if you fall for a virtual female/male? Could you tell her/him that she/he's virtual and not real? I think questions like this are interesting even if there just an excercise in intellectual curiosity.

Some days I do think we our in a virtual universe other days I have my doubts.

If consciousness is experiencing these local realities then our world is virtual but our consciousness is real and it goes to the next virtual reality at death or if we get advanced enough to create these virtual realities our consciousness might enter another chain of virtual realities that way.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, here's an interesting article:

The first virtual reality headset that can stimulate all five senses has been developed. What was it really like to live in Ancient Egypt? What did the streets there actually look, sound and smell like? For decades, Virtual Reality has held out the hope that, one day, we might be able visit all kinds of places and periods as 'virtual' tourists.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Imagine going into a virtual world where your a Pharoah of Egypt. That would be quite interesting.

Also, if you die in these virtual worlds would you actually die in the world that the virtual reality originates from?

hmmmm...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The internet is already a virtual world. When you are online you can become anyone you want and no one really knows the truth, but they do have a feeling of knowing the virtual truth.

AI is a different type of virtual altogether.

Have you talked to A.L.I.C.E. much?

She can be quite pleasant and is a good listener

Alice Bot Blog

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Pick up a book called 'Love and Sex With Robots' by David Levy.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If there was a virtual reality internet would you hook up to it and log on?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This is why people need to get out more and away from the computer. There is a REAL world all around you, it is not confined to the 16x9 widescreen LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Reality is so much better. The virtual reality is just an additive. Switch the two around and then you got some serious problems that need to be resolved.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
This is why people need to get out more and away from the computer. There is a REAL world all around you, it is not confined to the 16x9 widescreen LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Reality is so much better. The virtual reality is just an additive. Switch the two around and then you got some serious problems that need to be resolved.

Cheers!!!!

I don't think it will be that easy. I asked the question in jest but there's serious implications that are underlying the question.

Virtual reality is advancing very fast. Just look at these articles.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

What will it do to human life? Will the guy who works at Taco Bell be stuck in a virtual world where he's a rock star or President of the United States.

It says:

Scientists say the device will also enable users to greet friends and family on the other side of the world as though they were in the same room.

And students will even be able to find out what it was like to live in ancient Egypt, Rome or Greece.

I think it will be great if there's a balance but this does present some serious questions if you can fully immerse yourself in these virtual worlds.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by platosallegory]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Its possible it will be the next step for our race in evolutionary terms, it would be nice to think we could achieve similar results without needing such crutches, but perhaps it will lead to a biological organ that allows similar results.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
Its possible it will be the next step for our race in evolutionary terms, it would be nice to think we could achieve similar results without needing such crutches, but perhaps it will lead to a biological organ that allows similar results.

It might go either way; our own mind that will be used a lot less to fantasize and visualize things like art or difficult scientific mathematics because computers have taken over that task (just like people becoming depending on flash card memory rather than their own, each time trying to remember an appointment is actually which keeps the mind in shape). The parts of the brain that are used less will (in time) become rudimentary and those used more will grow.

Or, people will acknowledge the need to train the mind and use the computer for realizing even more complex thoughts. Something like the way cars changed our bodies because we need to walk a lot less and have to do exercises just to keep in shape.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by platosallegory

I think it will be great if there's a balance but this does present some serious questions if you can fully immerse yourself in these virtual worlds.

Already happened. I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes but I need to know, red pill or blue pill - pick one.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

Originally posted by platosallegory

Already happened. I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes but I need to know, red pill or blue pill - pick one.

LOL, I will bite. Give me the red pill. If you have some info on this, let's hear it.

new topics

top topics

join