It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Circles: What on Earth are They?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Nobody knows who made them or how they were made.
Most of the time the ice is too thin to walk on.

How were they made?

Ice Circles

[edit on 18-3-2009 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've seen similar things. I believe that they are caused by water circulation in a rotary pattern.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have no idea how these are made, but the explanation that it is a circular flow of water dosen't seem to fit. They are kind of small and not detailed, (just the circle) but from the photo it does look as thought the ice has been gouged or cut at as opposed to melted, or circulated. Strange...did you take these photos?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

In one picture in the link provided, the place looks like a small municipal waste water pond. There's a bubbler in the pond. That kind of bubbler is often a long pipe with holes for pressurized air, that turn in circle. I often saw circular ice patern in those place. You can also see that above dams and anywhere there's a current in the water. With the right condition, current create a vortex of swirling water. In the right climate it freezes.

As for the smaller circles, it would be easy to make a big pointed compass or to use a big tripod with pointed legs , the kind use for geomatics.

It's clearly a joke. The ice is getting thin now ... but next year I'll take a picture.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
It's not just one place these circles pop up,
They're all over the place, America and Canada.
Just like crop circles nobodys seen one get made.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

It is thought that ice circles are formed when surface ice gathers in the center of a body of water rather than the edges. A slow moving river current can create a slow turning eddy, which rotates, forming an ice disc. Very slowly the edges are ground down until a gap is formed between the eddy and the surrounding ice.

From Ice circles

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Why is this in Aliens and UFO's? Just asking?

new topics

top topics

join