It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico governor repeals death penalty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

New Mexico governor repeals death penalty

www.cnn.com

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson signed a bill Wednesday repealing the death penalty in his state, his office confirmed.

"Regardless of my personal opinion about the death penalty, I do not have confidence in the criminal justice system as it currently operates to be the final arbiter when it comes to who lives and who dies for their crime," Richardson said in a statement Wednesday.

"If the State is going to undertake this awesome responsibility, the system to impose this ultimate penalty must be perfect and can never be wrong."

The bill replaces the death penalty with life without the possibility of parole.

"Faced with the reality that our system for imposing the death penalty can never be perfect, my conscience compels me to replace the death penalty with a solution that keeps society safe," he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Nothing is perfect. Nothing ever will be.

While I know some do not agree with the death penalty for any offense, there are definite offenses that deserve nothing less than the death penalty.

I support the death penalty and I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend in other states. True, it isn't perfect, but it is a helluva lot better these days with the advent of DNA than it ever was before.

And, that's as close to perfect as it will ever get until people come back from the dead to identify their killers or until horribly hurt victims don't have to worry about being on trial themselves for being attacked and identifying their attackers.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think this is a good move, I hope the other states follow.

I don't know why people think the death penalty is such a nice thing, it does nothing for the victims ...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I don't think anyone views the death penalty as "nice".

But, a lot of people view it as deserved.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I think this is a good move, I hope the other states follow.

I don't know why people think the death penalty is such a nice thing, it does nothing for the victims ...

Committing murder is hardly 'Nice" itself.

I could care less if it costs more. I fully support its use AND think the appeals process is out of controll. 20 years on death row? That why its so expensive. Cut down that time and its going to be much more cost effective.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Attention all murders and serial killers.

The Governor of New Mexico just announced that you can murder, torture, and kill as many people you want in New Mexico, and you will not be harshly punished for it.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I live in NM and we were told not to go out at night this weekend because of the gang initiations that will be taking place.

By initiations I mean senseless murders

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by unfndqlt

Well, now they don't have to worry about the death penalty if they get caught. The taxpayers will just feed, house, and clothe them for the rest of their lives in a place that is probably more sanitary than where they live now.

And, gangs fare pretty well in jail.....so life without parole wouldn't be a hardship for them, probably.

Ridiculous..... :shk:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Snarkiness on: I am sad. There is not enough death and murder and killing in this world. What's next? making war illegal? It doesn't make any sense. We should be killing so much more people than we are now. Sad day from America.

Snarkiness off: This is a good thing. Hard labor. Or suicide, that should be a choice when facing life imprisonment, ever see Escape From L.A.?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Do you know how loud and obnoxious groups like the ACLU would get if prisoners were actually forced into "hard labor" while locked up? I mean, they can't be made to do what they did before.....chain gangs and all are so 1920s. :shk:

Suicide....I'd go for that. But, then, all the prisons would have to be investigated for inhumane conditions and lack of supervision, not to mention over-crowding and lack of security measures. :shk:

Like I said, nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be. But, as a taxpayer, I shouldn't have to pay for housing, food, and "upkeep" of a murderers and child killers for the rest of their worthless lives.

The death penalty is much deserved in some cases, and with DNA advances and witness testimony, it can be proven at about 99.7%. Don't let them sit there for 20 years on death row with umpteen appeals......then, it wouldn't cost so much.

.....and, yes, I applied snarkiness in the above....

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am from NM also and I am very conflicted on this issue.

Yes, some crimes are so heinous that only the death of the perpetrator is justice.

However is that worth the death of one innocent person?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I really don't care too much for the argument about the death penalty.

I support it because it gets rid of people who would kill, maim, or hurt others at the drop of a hat.

Even with life they are still capable of killing guards or other inmates.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Prison is a scam anyway, all those bonds in place, and I'm not talking about shackles, I am talking about pieces of paper.

If everyone just "paid" their (the strawman's) bonds, there would no prison time.

But I must disagree. If someone killed my brother, I would not want that person dead. Enough murder and death; I say, healing and forgiveness are important attributes--the last time I checked the tattoo on my ass.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well, this is interesting.

You'd think NM was a little more.....Old Fashioned than that eh?

I think it's a wonderful decision by the governnor, the death penalty is overrated and should not be used, unless you've torture/murdered/abused children, then a hole in the ground is well deserved.

But really, do we really need to be killing people? I mean really?

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I completely oppose the death penalty. No exceptions.

I formed this opinion after seeing so many Holocaust survivors (like Elie Wisel or Viktor Frankl, etc) who fervently oppose capital punishment because of what their experience has taught them about life.

Mother Teresa, PJPII, Nelson Mandela....all had very profound things to say in this regard. Only God can give life...only God can take it away.

My favorite:

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"......

We'll get there

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
I completely oppose the death penalty. No exceptions.

I formed this opinion after seeing so many Holocaust survivors (like Elie Wisel or Viktor Frankl, etc) who fervently oppose capital punishment because of what their experience has taught them about life.

Mother Teresa, PJPII, Nelson Mandela....all had very profound things to say in this regard. Only God can give life...only God can take it away.

My favorite:

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"......

We'll get there

A lot of Jews would actually not give the Nazis the death penalty if they could I've heard.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Do you know how loud and obnoxious groups like the ACLU would get if prisoners were actually forced into "hard labor" while locked up? I mean, they can't be made to do what they did before.....chain gangs and all are so 1920s. :shk:

Suicide....I'd go for that. But, then, all the prisons would have to be investigated for inhumane conditions and lack of supervision, not to mention over-crowding and lack of security measures. :shk:

Like I said, nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be. But, as a taxpayer, I shouldn't have to pay for housing, food, and "upkeep" of a murderers and child killers for the rest of their worthless lives.

The death penalty is much deserved in some cases, and with DNA advances and witness testimony, it can be proven at about 99.7%. Don't let them sit there for 20 years on death row with umpteen appeals......then, it wouldn't cost so much.

.....and, yes, I applied snarkiness in the above....

WUAHAHAHA LET EM BURN!!!! JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!

*sarcasm*

link   
I figure an eye for an eye.
If you choose to take someones life,then you should be willing to give up your own in return.

So by taking away the death penalty,we have no decided to allow these people to live on the back of our tax dollars.
Disgusting!
Most of these lifers will live better lives than most homeless people.

Perhaps those who are against the death penalty would feel different if a loved one was murdered for a couple of dollars.

link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Donnie has a valid point. The death penalty brings nothing to the victims or their families. The only attributable gain that comes from the death penalty is the notion of "eye for an eye" nonsense, which in of itself is primative thinking.

Putting the offender behind bars for life with no chance of parole, placing them in hard labor, solitary confinement, stripping them of every tiny bit of what little luxury and earned benefit a prisoner can have is a better form of punishment, a "life long hard lesson", and it also gives the offender plenty of time to ponder about what they did. And even if they dont think about their deed, so what, they are in no position to celebrate either.

Any kind of forced death is wrong, doesnt matter if its done through a criminal act, or sanctioned through the justice system. Killing is wrong, across the board. The death penalty is primative and should be left in the past as did burning at the stake for witchcraft.

In fact, someone posted a video recently about a burning of 5 people alive because they were accused of practicing witchcraft. Watch that video...your death penalty is just as primative, and just as horrific.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-3-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I don't even trust the state with my tax dollars, I sure don't trust them with my life, or your life as well.

The death penalty should be abolished nation wide.

Lets see, The state charges you with a crime and they have all the money they need to prove you guilty. You on the other hand get a public defender who can't make it in the world as a real lawyer. You will get the death penalty whether you're guilty or not.

Oh but there's more. Lets say you actually have a few million in the bank, Like O.J. did. You can then buy the jury you want, hire all the lawyers you want and buy your way back into a free life.

The death penalty is always stacked against the weakest members of society, those who can not defend themselves. It always has been, it always will be.

Even if someone is guilty, I would rather them spend the rest of their natural life living with the atrocities they committed, then give them an easy way out. Perhaps in their next life they may be a little more understanding.

These are just my humble thoughts on the subject.

wupy

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join