It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Mack Calls for Geithner to Resign or Be Fired Over AIG Bonuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Geithner is the guy that the country absolutely could not do without as Treasury Secretary. He and only he, according to Obama, possessed the unique intelligence and skills needed to guide our country out of the current economic mess.

This despite the fact that Geithner tried not once, but four times, to deduct his kids summer camp fees from his taxes as a 'bidness eckspense'. And after his accountants warned him it was not a legal deduction.

Now it seems that Geithner, the architect of the AIG 'bailout', knew about the bonuses to be paid to AIG employees that were deemed irreplaceable much longer than the week he admits to..

www.foxnews.com...

Florida Republican Rep. Connie Mack called for Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner to lose his job Wednesday, becoming the first Capitol Hill lawmaker to call for his ouster over AIG's using tens of millions of taxpayer dollars for executive bonuses.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., later joined in the call Wednesday.

Mack told FOX News that Geithner should resign or the administration should fire him.

"The American people certainly don't see any competence in him. And I think he's got a lot of questions to answer," he said.

Mack said in a written statement released earlier in the day that President Obama should nominate a new treasury secretary with "the experience and leadership skills America deserves."

I say he should resign or be fired. Immediately.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I agree JSO

Fire him!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
He does need to go.

He can't give a straight answer to a question. He was instrumental in the original TARP legislation. He is a tax cheat. He cannot lay out the administration's plans for the economy in a coherent manner.

There has to be someone that is better for the job......someone who wasn't and isn't tangled up in the mess that got us into the mess we are in now.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think a lot of Congress members should join him for their incompetence also.

It isn't like Geithner was responsible for writing the law.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

He can't give a straight answer to a question.

He should trying using a teleprompter.

Helps Obama.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Not always. He did have that mix-up with the Irish PM yesterday. :shk:

But, Geithner needs to go. But, if he goes, who is left at Treasury? They haven't managed to fill any of the other appointed positions there yet, have they?

Yep, this is the kind of change I was expecting.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Out of a population of over 300 million people, I find it hard to believe that we cannot find a qualified individual to be Treasury Secretary.

What Obama needs to do is expand his search outside of his cronies.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Obama wants "Yes Men and Women"; he doesn't do well with criticism.

But, there has to be someone better out there. And, more importantly, there has to be someone out there who can do the job and wasn't tied to the BS that got us in this economic mess we are in now in the first place.

But, then again, common sense seems to be in short supply in DC.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
300 million? no, a few hundred.

You have to be both CFR and TC to get a job.........

Kind of a internal breed program for minds........

[edit on 18-3-2009 by j2000]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Why are all of the well known leadership throughout history known for inbreeding/interbreeding?
Perhaps that is part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive!

I think he and Obama should be fired. As both are 100% incompetent to be in any government position. I am completely disgusted with the man voted into the Presidency, those he chose to put around him and lets not forget that mess of a speaker, Pelosi.

to them all.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I am horrible with money and not very good at covering my tracks. That makes me qualified right? How many scandals have we had so far in the first 57 days. I have a feeling the SUPER MASSIVE PROTESTING will begin soon. Oh Americas Next Supermodel is coming on, That's Hot. Gotta go

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...
Dodd acknowledged his role in the change after a Treasury Department official told CNN the administration pushed for the language.

Both Dodd and the official, who asked not to be named, said it was because administration officials were afraid the government would face numerous lawsuits without the new language.

Dodd, a Democrat, told CNN's Dana Bash and Wolf Blitzer that Obama administration officials pushed for the language to an amendment designed to limit bonuses and "golden parachutes" at those companies.

"The administration had expressed reservations," Dodd said. "They asked for modifications. The alternative was losing the amendment entirely."

On Tuesday, Dodd denied to CNN that he had anything to do with adding the language, which has been used by officials at bailed-out insurance giant AIG to justify paying millions of dollars in bonuses to executives after receiving federal money.

Geithner is the scapegoat

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

When pushed by Greta Van Susteren as to who in the administration pressured him for the amendment, Dodd stated "The Treasury".

Of course, we all know that "The Treasury" takes it's cues from Obama and Emmanuel. But unfortunately (or not) Obama trumps Geithner, so yes, Geithner will get thrown under the bus.

Whatever happened to the notion of resigning over principles? Oh wait - that presupposes that you have principles to begin with.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

When pushed by Greta Van Susteren as to who in the administration pressured him for the amendment, Dodd stated "The Treasury".

Of course, we all know that "The Treasury" takes it's cues from Obama and Emmanuel. But unfortunately (or not) Obama trumps Geithner, so yes, Geithner will get thrown under the bus.

Whatever happened to the notion of resigning over principles? Oh wait - that presupposes that you have principles to begin with.

This new Dodd acknowledgedment sorta rewrites the whole story doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Almost makes me afraid to turn the page and discover what happens next!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have a suitable replacement...i think many of you would like him.

Ron Paul.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Almost makes me afraid to turn the page and discover what happens next!

No doubt, no doubt,

two lines

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
www.thehopeforamerica.com...

AIG Bonus Was In Stimulus Bill
Eric Cantor talks to Morning Joe

new topics

top topics

join