It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Researcher Admits Massive Fraud!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Dr. Scott Reuben, fabricated the data used in over twenty pharmaceutical studies published in peer-reviewed medical journals. Read the full NaturalNews report on this topic here: www.naturalnews.com...

These studies promoted the safety and "benefits" of drugs like Bextra (Pfizer), Vioxx (Merck), Lyrica, Celebrex and Effexor. The lead researcher on these studies, Dr. Scott Reuben, was being paid by Pfizer and Merck, so there's a verified financial connection between this clinical researcher and...

Read all about it at:-

www.naturalnews.com...

Note how the mass media has not mentioned this fraud at all as they get paid to advertise these dangerous fraudulant drugs...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Great find esecallum.

Here is an article by Scientific America on the same subject.

Medical Madoff

"We are talking about millions of patients worldwide, where postoperative pain management has been affected by the research findings of Dr. Reuben," says Steven Shafer, editor in chief of the journal Anesthesia & Analgesia, which published 10 of Reuben's fraudulent papers.

Paul White, another editor at the journal, estimates that Reuben's studies led to the sale of billions of dollars worth of the potentially dangerous drugs known as COX2 inhibitors, Pfizer's Celebrex (celecoxib) and Merck's Vioxx (rofecoxib)

I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his natural life.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
One of the bad things is that it took 12 years to find out that his data was pure fiction.

This is from an article:

The question is: Why did it take 12 years before a "routine audit" revealed Reuben's widespread data fabrication? "Baystate publishes about 200 [studies] every year, and of those [articles], the audit rate might only be 5 percent," Baystate's Jenson says, acknowledging that ultimately "Baystate is responsible" for making sure that research done there is properly conducted and reported.

It seems we are not as safe as it seems to be.

The question is if something else is also faked and we don't know about it. We might not find out about it until another 12 years.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by danielsil18]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That is the power of science they can tell you what ever they want. And you will eat it without thinking.

Its like we have hired people to do the thinking for us. And that is big bisnis.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It all makes you wonder just how low the integrity standards really are at drug companies these days. If a highly-paid executive can fake his own cancer in order to avoid a lawsuit brought against him because he lied to investors, what other sorts of fabrications and deceits might be going on at these companies?

source

Does the word 'scum' suffice or am I being a little too diplomatic?

Healthcare companies were registering dead people for years, but this!! Another notch in the money scheme from hell.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
article March 10th in NY Times

www.nytimes.com...

Doctor Admits Pain Studies Were Frauds, Hospital Says

By GARDINER HARRIS
Published: March 10, 2009

In what may be among the longest-running and widest-ranging cases of academic fraud, one of the most prolific researchers in anesthesiology has admitted that he fabricated much of the data underlying his research, said a spokeswoman for the hospital where he works.

The researcher, Dr. Scott S. Reuben, an anesthesiologist in Springfield, Mass., who practiced at Baystate Medical Center, never conducted the clinical trials that he wrote about in 21 journal articles dating from at least 1996, said Jane Albert, a spokeswoman for Baystate Health.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very disappointing. He should lose his license. I hope he is prosecuted as well.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Nice article, but it would be nicer if they would have listed ALL 21 of the medications and not just pick and choose which ones. Now I sit here wondering if I am on one of those not listed

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Aggieman, it wasn't 21 types of meds, it was twenty one studies on the meds mentioned.

Esecallum's second link shows the studies in question.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Your question is certainly intersting. Will they let us have another 12 years to investigate other inadequate agency reporting and qualifing? The crap they've put us through for so long now, has dumbed us down to the point ,we cant get enough people mad enough to really send a message to the their local representatives.
We need to get mad as hell, their poisoning us and killing our children without recourse against themselves.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thank you! I misunderstood based on the title of the article. Whew!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The question is if this is the only case of research being falsified like this? Common sense says that it isn't. If they caught one guy, how many more are scrambling right now to cover their own misdeeds? I stay away from pharmaceuticals if at all possible. I was forced to take some antibiotics a while back for an infection that wouldn't heal, but other than that no meds for me. You just never know.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Thanks for the information esecallum. I'll be passing these nuggets of information onto the people who are supposed to hear about the criminally inadequate practises, that in a big way get kept out of the main stream media. I'll be calling the local am talk radio station and also be letting my govt rep know that another big pharm company conspiracy theory is out of the bag, again. Of course S&F,thx.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I personally believe this is the same type of research coming out about climate change.
All the big funding coming out to pay for freudulent research and cherry picked data.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The entire peer review process is flawed. I started a thread last year dealing with my concerns with the peer review process. For those interested, the thread is here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Without repeating my arguments about peer review, let me just say that my dealings with it, left me convinced that fraud is rarely caught in the peer review process, unless it is blatant. Fudging data is one of the hardest frauds to catch, without an actual audit of the data capture and experimental modes. I find that fraud frequently gets past the referees, especially when they are paid. In addition, depending upon the field, if it is a very new field or area, finding referees that are appropriate can be a real problem.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
FDA is corrupt. Drug companies are corrupt. And there are a lot of lined pockets. It was only a matter of time before one of these guys defected.

There will be more unless they are found dead first.

Nice find.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is why I hate going to the doctor, and usually refuse anything they want me to take.

Now, if they find a brain tumor that might convince me otherwise...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
let's see- they poison us with bad meds. They poison us with bad food. They steal our money, take our property, threaten us, spy on us, rob, rape, and otherwise ruin our very lives- pollute our minds with media crap on the tube, feed us garbage and lies almost daily, if not hourly

AND WE LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT.

When will it stop? WILL it be stopped?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Why is this not surprising?
I mean, with all of the lawsuits surrounding these drugs in recent years, I would have figured most people would already be aware of this.

And the funny thing is, I'll bet they don't care much because they realize people are so desinsitized at this point that they won't do much at all unless it is broadcast out the nose by the MSM.
And it won't be.

PS - I don't take their damned drugs, so I'm mad.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What kind of accountability in terms of charges brought against those who perpetrated this and other cases involving such fraud? How widespread is the corruption (that we actually know about and can verify)?

If peer review is eventually deemed unhelpful in verifying certain scientific claims, what other types of confirmation can be established for any given scientific claim released by any individual or group?

There must be a better way.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum

This is basically the formula that makes America what it is.

As long as cost of LawSuits/Fines caused by the pharmo is a lot less
than the profit made by the pharmo over the years. Then the product is safe.

And you just replace the word Pharmo with Car, Palm, iPhone, iPOD etc.....

Rules Of Acquisition

#1.Once you have their money, never give it back
#14. Anything stolen is pure profit
#15. Acting stupid is often smart
#18. A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all
#32. Be careful what you sell. It may do exactly what the customer expects
#36. War is good for business

I never realised how many Ferengi rules of Aquisition that Corporate
America actually follows. Apparently it's all 286 of them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join