It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you cook and bake in the past week?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
What did you cook and bake in the past week? I'll start:

-Exotic Sugar Cream Pie aka Dulce de Leche pie (it's exotic because it's made with palm sugar. In homemade oil crust pastry). Came out super, super well.

-Samosa pie in homemade butter crust. It was good, but I used too much lemon juice, I think, it reacted weird with the turmeric and came out kind of weird. But it was worth a try and I need to work on tweaking the recipe.

-Hamentaschen. Two kinds- poppy filling (from the can), and apricot-orange (just a hint of orange) from my stovetop ^_^

and tonight...

-Strawberry napoleon. Three layers of puff pastry, one layer of homemade custard, one layer of homemade whipped cream and strawberries, and dusted with powdered sugar. It's in the fridge waiting to be cut...

and also,

-In the next few hours- a delicious omelette made from the extra 6 egg whites that were paired with the 6 egg yolks used for the custard!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just had one of my fave 'no brainer' meals. I've been working in the garage all day so I got 2 spuds, I wanted a really large baking one but didn't have any. Baked them - oven of course, microwaves suck for spuds.

Way more than an hour on med/low, basically whenever I'm ready to eat they are done... Oh yhea, spuds picked with a fork - corse seasalf rubbed into the skins (too much salt, when the spuds are done toss they and roll around in hands and a load of the salt comes right off - that's why course salt is best)

Tin of baked beans, 2 rashers of crispy bacon cut up small in the beans, loads of cheese (mild cheddar today) in the pyrex bowl with the beans and bacon, big dollop of english mustard and splurge of Lea and Perrins - in the microwave

While that's a doing lots of butter (NOT margarine... I CAN believe it's not butter :bnghd: ) really worked into the inside of the spud(s) making buttery potato goodness.

Microwaves done out onto the spuds, everything so hot you can't eat it very fast - perfect out to the work bench again eating as I do what I'm doing - don't really care if it ends up going cold, that's fine.

Good food when your working on your little projects, after the spuds have been in for more than an hour the whole deal basically takes you away from what your doing for like 5 mins!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Thumbs up for making me crave bacon...

I really wasn't happy with my strawberry napoleon/mille fuille... kind of too rich/sweet but I'm also feeling kind of ick... my mom said it was really really good, so I'm still glad I made it.

I rarely enjoy what I bake or cook. It's weird.

I would try your potato thing but I have a personal ... aversion... to cheese. Other than that it sounds delicious!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Call me wacky, call me crazy but I've become passionate about making oatmeal into a gourmet delight.

I figured oatmeal is just a starchy media for other more flavorable toppings or stuff mixed in.

So far oatmeal and M&Ms mixed in

peanutbutter and jelly oatmeal

oatmeal and salsa served with Red Hot Blues [bluecorn tortilla chips with red chili sprinkled on]

oatmeal with yellow cheddar and cracked pepper

oatmeal with strawberry yogurt and orange slices

all the above were nuked for 2.22 min.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I just gained 5 pounds reading your post!

I have roasted vegetbles in the oven twice this week, along with chicken and some stuffed manicotti.

The weather has been nice, so I have grilled a couple of days. I love grilled portabello mushrooms.

I rarely eat out, so, I cook at least 2 meals a day, but I don't do desserts, since I want to continue fitting in to my size 6 pants!

If I am craving a sweet, I indulge in a handfull of trail mix, or some dried apricots.

I love fresh vegetables, and I have made home made fresh salsa twice this week. It goes great with the roasted chicken!

edit to add:

For the portabella mushrooms, poke a few holes in them with a fork, marinate in greek salad dressing about an hour, toss on the grill. YUMMM!

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
On Sunday I made sun dried tomato & anchovy bread

Would love to take credit for the recipe, unfortunately not, credit for that goes to Panasonic, it was their recipe in the little booklet which came with my bread machine.

And disgusting though the bread sounds ... it really was delicious. Honestly, the bread came out a deep brown colour on top, nice & crispy, the body of the bread was a beautiful dark red colour. And it certainly tasted "different", really fishy. Everyone said they enjoyed it, but I suspect one person was being polite haha.

Obvious downside was the cost. Must've cost £3 or £4 for ingredients alone when I could've bought some cheap supermarket bread for fifty pence.

So, no, it won't be a regular creation.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Cooked up a brilliant mild chicken Thai curry a couple nights ago.

The trick is the get the best quality coconut milk possible

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Good lord honey I am moving in!

Me: bread
ham, cabbage and potatoe soup

microwave dinosaur shaped nuggets

stuffed peppers

somehow doesn't sound as romantic as the poster, lol.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
How much time have ya got?

At home.

Sunday- Poached eggs on English muffins, baked some Rice Krispy squares and just ordered pizza for supper

Monday- Pancakes with banana's for breakfast, Pot roast with Rosemary mashed potatoes, baby carrots and kernel corn.

Tuesday- Just a bowl of cereal for breakfast as I had to take my kitty to the vet for an operation early in the morning, Braised short ribs with brown rice and mixed veggies.

Wednesday-Omelets with ham and cheese, veggie stir fry with oyster sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar over jasmine rice.

Today- Chocolate chip pancakes, Macaroni with bolognese sauce and home made garlic bread.

Work.

An awful lot of stuff from spring rolls to curries to seafood to salads to lamb stew to pea soup( those last two were just for us) and a whole lot more.

Tomorrow's supper is going to be Roast chicken dinner, Brekkie, probably just cereal and toast.

And now I'm hungry.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yummm... good stuff in this thread. I think I'll post once a week or so with my own updates.

Not sure what to make this week (birthday is coming up) but I think a souffle and a stew and maybe a bread of some sort is in my future..

[edit on 3/21/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Wow, all this exotic gourmet vittles.

Almost makes me ashamed to post my burritos.

Blue corn tortillas, onions, refried beans, cheddar, green and red chili, chichironi's instead of ground beef with a guacamole sauce.

All washed down with ice cold Tecate's. followed by Cuervo Gold under the stars.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
My wife and I made two decorated cakes. The first was pretty cool, kind of "Ace of Cakes" like, it was a treasure chest with opened lid (all cake) and had little chocolate coins, edible necklaces, and we used ring pops for gems.

The other one was more simplistic, was a couldron of the same gold chocolate coins, on the grass, at the end of a rainbow.

I'll post some pics once we upload them.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I made a big pot of spicy Mexican meatball soup.

Brown the meat balls

Sweat Onions and garlic, add 1 can of beef or chicken broth, some peppers I add whatever I have at the time I also add squash, Carrots, Potato's, green beans, corn, Cheyenne pepper, and lots of oregano, salt and pepper to taste, add the meat balls bring to a boil lower the temp and simmer for about 20 mins my kids love it.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by glan]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by glan
Sweat Onions

mmm, nothing quite like good old sweat onions

I made some ANZAC biscuits the other day, they didn't last long :'(

If I make more they'll be eaten before they cool down.

Roswell.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i didnt cook the last week but im nasty so i will still write
the past month i made CAKE with lots of nesquick cocoa and peanuts,who i bought and removed the ...soft shell thingies my self..
then applied chocolate on top of it when it was done
maaan it was great XD it looked like poo poo-couse of the chocolate and nuts
but it tasted like sneakers.
i also did chinese fryied spagheti...very tasty...kinda not like in the reastaraunt..but nice experience.
now i want to buy some "duner" breads and make home made duners for the family..cheaper and more tasty^_^
i maked pizza when i was younger...had my ups and downs xD
i also maked some kind of food when i was younger...i puted lots of ketchup,cheesy and meat in the frying pan

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i made a pot of my infamous chili verde!

as each time i make it, it's getting better and better. my wife said this last batch was the best i've made yet, so i edited my recipe. it's crazy good. (thanks to accessing the farmers market for all the ingredients including the organic pork)

yum!

[edit on 3/24/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
hummus with lots of garlic

created a recipe for whole wheat flatbread with flaxseed in it - turned out great

curried cabbage and onions - yummy!

a few weeks ago I took a few recipes, merged, modified, and made whole wheat apple cinnamon rolls - small, thinly rolled, lots of cinnamon and apples, quite gooey - they turned out amazing!!

here's a pic

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The highlight of the week for me was a big pot of vegetable soup.

Beef cross rib meat, ribs & a big knuckle bone
Bacon to render some fat to brown the meat in
Onions (yellow and green)
Green peppers
Potatoes
Carrots
Cabbage
Tomatoes
Snap peas, sweet peas
Corn
green beans
TLC

Not the fanciest dish but a big bowl of it and some good crusty bread and I'm good to go.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I haven't cooked anything at work this week as I'm on a weeks vacation, but I have cooked just a few of my faves here at the house one which my wife absolutely hates. I did Fois Gras well carmalized in a sautee' pan finished with a sherry creme sauce. This is the one my wife hates, but I made her pan seared spotted sea trout finished with a mango/orange glaze. & we both had asparagus with a butter lemon sauce, & for the sweet end we had some chocolate mousse that I had brought home from work. & that will be the extent of my cooking until I go back to work she can take it from here on out.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
ooo, this week started off with "mongolian bowls.
you basically chop veggies of your choice:

sprouts, broccoli, water chestnuts, seeds, meats, etc.
you put them in a bowl, top with sesame oil, black bean paste, chili paste and other spices.

then you throw it all on a hot skillet with a dash of oil and stir fry it.

then back into bowl for dash of soy sauce, and srirachi, and enjoy!
(now i'm hungry)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join