It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just How Many Guns do the American People Have

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
If a army / government (like ours) / police really wanted to "declare marshall law" and started rounding us up, a puny gun isn't going to save your sorry arse. Even a BIG ONE is no match for what is out there in weapon land available to our "rulers".

I'm not so sure about that. Now I'm just grabbing a number out of the air, but let's suppose that our combined military plus Federal, state, and local law enforcement all totaled up to 10 million. And between 25 and 50% of American households own firearms. and there are approximately 300 million people living in America, then you are talking about approximately between 75 to 150 MILLION armed citizens vs. a mere 10 Million collective. Not to mention many of the Military, etc. would jump the fence, as they are also private gun owners (not to mention that they are sworn to uphold the US Constitution; including the 2nd Amendment: Right to Bear Arms). There is just no way the federal government could be overpowering. What are they going to do? shoot tanks at us? drop bunker busters on us? Drop a nuke on us? NO WAY. They could only confiscate privately owned arms by going door to door; which would put them in a position of GREAT disadvantage that is too mind boggling of a challenge for the government to succeed. Americans are armed and it will always be that way.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Ah my friend PT....
I have made it thus far without one.
I have no desire to hurt another person
however if I had a gun in my hand and they
were coming after me, no problem.
Now the reason that I have been in no need
of one thus far is the mind.
In light of your thread don't you think we should be armed?

The reason I like guns is they are fun as a sport.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
According to en.wikipedia.org... almost 50% of American households.

Many people talk about how owning guns make them feel safer.

Maybe from a home invasion by another dumb flucking individual.

BUT

If a army / government (like ours) / police really wanted to "declare marshall law" and started rounding us up, a puny gun isn't going to save your sorry arse. Even a BIG ONE is no match for what is out there in weapon land available to our "rulers".

Are you folks even aware of the weapondry out there available?

Missiles that can be programed and fired miles away from where you're sitting. You wouldn't even know what hit you.

Guns, come on, unless it's a machine gun and then if up against a tank launcher that could take the whole side of your house out, or even a small missile as stated before, you and your house would be gone before you even know what hit you.

Like the suit of armour, any hand held gun is now obsolete in comparison to the stuff any army can get a hold of.

That's just the human army. If we ever have to confront a nonhuman army they may have a single beam that could fry your house / neighborhood /city to a crisp before you reached "your gun".

Guns are no longer the "king of weapons" unless you're talking protecting yourself against another single person invading your home. But, not a army, a government gone mad or worse.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by ofhumandescent]

Tanks and missiles require fuel and that is where You get them. There is no way for a army to keep up its supply trains through enemy territory. Believe me if real revolution broke out the government would fall and it would fall fast. There is no way they could fight hundreds of thousands of small cells that would pop up. The government can't even handle Iraq which is about the size of Texas what makes You think they can handle the whole country?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Also the Americn people have been tested many times and are continuing to be tested yet it has not provoked any collective response to make the perps change their minds or tactics.

Yes, the American public has been tested, and continues to be, and for the most part has not been found wanting. Sure things could be better, yet they could be so very much worse...and the credit for that, in a large part, belongs to the American public. The blame for the bad, and the credit for the good belong to the same folks...weird, huh?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

True that!

That goes for all thing!

We are collectively responsible.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Ah my friend PT....
I have made it thus far without one.
I have no desire to hurt another person
however if I had a gun in my hand and they
were coming after me, no problem.
Now the reason that I have been in no need
of one thus far is the mind.
In light of your thread don't you think we should be armed?

The reason I like guns is they are fun as a sport.

We should be well armed with intelligence. Know thine enemy, think like thine enemy, anticipate your enemy's next move.

Yet intelligence takes on many forms. Chances are a few common household items can be quickly turned into a far more powerful form of weapon that a single bullet. No matter what type of gun you have that is all it can fire is a single bullet.

It wouldn't do much good to have a single bullet capability against a squad of ten men.

It would do a lot of good though to prepare the ground in advance of where those ten men are going to encounter you and make the ground work for you in the process. A little booby trap there, a bigger one ever here, the ability to rain things down on them from here, to make life present for them over there. Now you have ten guns and a whole lot of bullets and maybe some other things these then people no longer need.

You can scoop them all up and either retreat into the security of the ground you are on if it's still well prepared, or you can hightail it to your next well prepared piece of ground for a future encounter there.

One thing is for sure a single weapon with no plan is not going to give you any kind of edge against a numerous and well coordinated group or opponents.

The advantage lies in that they just have one little target to hit and that's you. You have a whole lot of targets to hit so its a lot harder for you to miss. The trick is maintaining a piece of ground you can deliver fire to them but it's hard for them to deliver fire to you.

That takes intelligence and thought and that's what makes the mind the most formidable weapon.

Think of it this way too, they are getting hit from the left and the right by things they can't fire back at because all that existed there was a mechanism to deliver fire to them. If in that process you are cornered and have no weapon, well gee guys, sorry about the other guys screaming in agony and writhing on the ground, it sure wasn't me, look I don't even have a gun!

You might though be failing to mention you have yet one more booby trap or diversion they just stumbled into while your mind is still racing for an exit.

Shooting guns is fun, but they are kind of messy, stinky powder residue, grease and that kind of thing. Hard to ditch a gun and prove you hadn't used a gun!

On the other hand, knives, throwing stars, even a new generation of war tomahawks make for some clean environmentally friendly weapons that a quick wipe down of eliminates all DNA and fingerprints.

When it comes choosing and preparing your ground carefully is the key. Try to not engage in any battle you don't have the terrain and wherewithall to defend or defend long enough to make good an escape to your next piece of defensible ground.

Now you are not just cooking but cooking with gas and you would be surprised what the can from the Bar b q can do!

The person or people or beings that want to take my life and liberty from me should anticipate something a lot worse than getting shot for their attempt!

The more horrible and painful you make it for them, the quicker they are going to think twice and just give up on that silly idea.

Think big CindyMars you are a big thinker! Big thinkers should make big impacts!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join