It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Doonesbury' Character to Lose Leg in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
By ELIZABETH McKINLEY, Associated Press Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A main character in the "Doonesbury" comic strip will lose a leg while fighting in Iraq (news - web sites), one of two strips published this week that feature soldiers getting injured in the war.

In Monday's "Doonesbury," B.D., a football coach-turned-soldier, was injured after being reactivated in the Army at the end of 2002, following a losing football season.

Later this week, he will wake up to find his left leg amputated, according to Universal Press Syndicate, the strip's distributor.

"Doonesbury" creator Garry Trudeau said he wanted to illustrate the sacrifices American soldiers are making.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040419/ap_en_ot/iraq_ war_comics

Okay, this is totally out of hand now ! I know that a lot of people want to show thier support or non-support for the war and effort in Iraq, but using a comic strip. I think this is just silly.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I think Doonesbury is about to "Jump the Shark", if that's possible for a comic strip

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Doonesbury has always been a political commentary comic strip. He screwed around with watergate, 'nam, whitewater, gulf war 1, etc.

I have to say I really enjoy the comic. I disagree with Gary Trudeau on most things politically, but I think he's pretty darned funny!

EDIT: Sorry to hear about BD, though. Hope he doesn't take his last conservative character who's been conservative since 1971 and make him turn lib...

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Is Trudeau really doing this to recognize the sacrifice of our soldiers or is he one of the many people who couldn't find anything good enough to protest after Vietnam. Let's face it, Crosby, Stills & Nash's best music was war protest stuff.

Too bad it was BD, he was one the best characters.

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by CommonSense]

top topics

join