It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
[edit on 18-3-2009 by Holly123]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This may sound weird, but DO NOT STORE CHICKPEAS!!! Not dried, at least. We had a bag of them in the pantry for about a year... and suddenly discovered there was an infestation of chickpea boring bug, or something named like that. Not the nicest thing.... especially because they got into the flour and their droppings were everywhere.

Beans, perhaps.... pasta, maybe.... Tinned stuff seems to last for a few years. Salmon is good ^.^

Not too sure... but I hope you don't mind me posting about the chickpeas >.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
www.ext.vt.edu...

If you scroll down a bit you come to a rather lengthy chart which has suggested shelf life for lots of items. Another thing I've found is to just mill down the isles at your grocery store and check the best-used-by date to get an idea of how long things will last, i did it the other week and was amazed at how long some types of canned meat would keep.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Good point, with regards the "best used by" dates, though they're actually and typically Good for much longer than the date printed on the product itself.

The federal guidelines for determining "shelf life" are based on guidelines set forth back in the days when canned goods and such were produced using a two-part (can) manufacturing process. (50s-60s era)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly123
What foods tend to last the longest in storage. For e.g what foods can I safely store up to three years

Generally tinned foods like meat, fruit and veg will survive three years if kept well cool and the tins frequently turned to ptrevent settlage. rice, wheat, flour etc can be resealed in vac packs to last for years, dry powdered eggs etc similar sorts of periods.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
www.ext.vt.edu...

If you scroll down a bit you come to a rather lengthy chart which has suggested shelf life for lots of items. Another thing I've found is to just mill down the isles at your grocery store and check the best-used-by date to get an idea of how long things will last, i did it the other week and was amazed at how long some types of canned meat would keep.

Yea... I was about to say... Nothing on that chart lasts over two years???

You get some canned foods at the grocery store and they all last to 2012 and beyond.

Canned Salmon lasts awhile (2014)

Spam

Tuna

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
[edit on 19-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly123
Thank you very much Northern Raider.

Your servant Sir/ Ma'am ?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned freeze dried food. It’s by far the longest lasting. Hard to get nowadays, expensive and a bit bulky, but the very best you can get. Dehydrated is next, lasting 20 yrs. If stored and packed right. Canned is cheapest, but for good reason. I’ve got all of the above, in proper proportion, as well as a few gallons of olive oil that I rotate regularly, as it doesn‘t store too long. Keeping a non-hybrid garden and storing the seeds is the most important thing you can do though, IMO. All storage will run out eventually.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly123

Hi, Yes. There are lots of sites on goggle that have short term and long tern food life dates. Here are a couple links. What are you trying to preserve? Flour doesnt keep well.

survivalacres.com...

www.millennium-ark.net...

Spam lasts 50 years. They now have garlic spam, hot and spicy spam. You should go to spam.com. Spam is still joked about but would come in handy.

You are wise to be considering this. Also add treats or candy. survival is psychological and stressful you don’t want to live off beans and rice. Spices may come in handy if we are forced to eat gophers and Squirrels. In a worst care scenerio.

There is also a good book to buy called "When Hell breaks loose" at amazon.com also the US Army survial manual.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cariaddi

I had that happen with brown rice. I didn't even have it a long time. Four months tops. They got wings and flew around the house. My cats had a field day. Threw the bag out and they were gone in a couple of days. The bag of rice was not even opened. I think if I buy again, I will vacuum seal the bags.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly123

IF you believe in any of the 2012 theories, it doesn't really matter much, especially if you keep them in a "basement" atmosphere. Buy a year supply of whatever you are eating and rotate them out by next spring IF you can still buy them..........hmmmmm Any beans, seeds, or such that you can seal in a #10, certainly will last beyond that date. Most canned goods with dates greater than two years of purchase are most likely good for three to four, if not five years......most dating is designed to get you to "buy more ofter"......hmmmmmmm. Ideal storage temps are below 70 degrees.......so, the question IS, how long do you want to store any food for? btw, milk protein is NOT a necessity, just a luxuary. Herbs and dehydrated foods are good for years, just best not stored in cardboard, plastic, or bags.....(this could take a book)

top topics

join