It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Wild Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ok so we all know what game covers. The small animals in the woods, or birds, or big game.
But are there any special preparations on certain game? Should we avoid certain game?
I have heard O'possom is greasy unless you feeb it dog food for about 2 weeks. So that might be something to avoid.
I have heard that wild turkey has a real gamey taste, but have been a turkey hunter for years and wild turkey seems to be a little tougher meat.

Does anyone have any special preperations they would like to share?
Wild game we should avoid?
Birds we should avoid?
Or just share some game that might seem taboo, that you have eaten.
Me, I have ate o'possum, racoon, snake,

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by realboogyman

We eat moose here almost as much as beef and its is AWESOME!!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have had moose once and it great.
we eat whitetail like beef here. Hamburgers hamburgerhelper, sloppyjoes, and jerkey all from deer.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Squirrel is very good. The trick with squirrel is to skin them while they are still warm. It's a bitch to skin them when they get cold.

Now as far as eating them. fried is good, but if you have an older one, then slow stewed is the best way.

Rabbit is excellent, however there is NO fat on a rabbit so be careful to add some sort of fat or you'll hurt yourself in the long run. They're easy to skin and fried or stewed is decent.

Bluegill, Bass, catfish and Crappie are excellent fare. You can fillet all except the bluegill, which is too small for fillet. Gills have a lot of bone, but their meat is absolutely marvelous. Fried is the best way for gillls, crappie, bass and cats. Skin the catfish and fillet. Another way to cook catfish, which some of the places I've been to down south is to skin the fish and make slices laterally along the sides (3-5 cuts), fry the fish and then just pick off the slabs of meat...divine!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
We eat deer year round, you can cook it the same as beef. Wild turkey is a little tough but you can pound it real good and its less tough.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jmurman

That is something I forgot to mention is rabbit poisoning, or protein poisoning
Too much protein is linked to high cholesterol levels, converted by the liver and stored as fat.
Too much protein irritates the immune system, keeping it in a state of overactivity.
Too much protein causes fluid imbalance, so calcium, other minerals are lost through urine.
Too much protein is linked to arteriosclerosis, cataracts, kidney stones and arthritis.
Too much animal protein contributes to osteoporosis and some cancers through mineral loss.
femme-vitale.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Wild turkey - Take the breasts and smoke em. That's all I will eat from wild turkey. I guess if I was in a pinch where, starving was more important then my sense of taste I would harvest the whole bird.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'd make a point to stay away from ground dwelling squirrels and the like.

Some parts of California and Arizona have ground squirrels that carry bubonic plague.

An Arizona Game & Fish bioligist recently died due to dissecting a mountain lion to see why it died.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Cut-off the snake's . and neck about 3-inches downfrom the ., clean it with a knife.
Cut the snake lengthwise up the middle and remove the insides. Rinse and clean the inside of the snake.
Remove the skin. Start where the neck was and slowly peel back.
Remove the tenderloins of the snake. You do this by laying the snake belly down (like you would filet a fish), cutting the meat away from the reptile’s back and ribs.
Put the meat in a bowl of fresh water with about a tbsp. of salt. Let this soak until you are ready to cook. Once you are ready to cook, place a beaten egg, salt, pepper into the bowl. Mix it up and let the reptile sit. Once satisfied, dip the saturated snake into flour. The snake is ready to be fried. season to your taste

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Pronghorn antelope can be good however a couple of things not to do. First don't shoot one that has been running. Second once you knock one down use one knife to skin it, only touch the hair with one hand and do not let any of the hair touch the meat. I always carry coolers when hunting then and put them on ice right away after skinning them, if I need to cut them up I use a another knife. Taken care of like this I have never had a bad one. If however you shoot one that has been running, don't get the hide off real quick or get hair all over it you might end up with meat that the dog will not eat.

We like it cooked in a crock pot with stewed tomatoes and peppers.

Canada goose, take the breasts, soak over night in salt water and slow cook with bacon on the grill. I skin them because it is a b!tch to pluck them.

Rein deer cut up into chunks and stewed with a brown gravy.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by realboogyman
reply to post by Jmurman

That is something I forgot to mention is rabbit poisoning, or protein poisoning
Too much protein is linked to high cholesterol levels, converted by the liver and stored as fat.
Too much protein irritates the immune system, keeping it in a state of overactivity.
Too much protein causes fluid imbalance, so calcium, other minerals are lost through urine.
Too much protein is linked to arteriosclerosis, cataracts, kidney stones and arthritis.
Too much animal protein contributes to osteoporosis and some cancers through mineral loss.
femme-vitale.com...

Excellent reasons to garden potatoes and other starches. Also, wild rabbit carry a disease that is transferable to people, though I can't remember the name of it now. Some natives claim to be able to smell it in the meat, and I believe them.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Heres how to prepare turtle. I wouldn't eat turtle until I was desperate. But it is actually good if prepared. I know this is alot but it might save your life one day.
Skip the first step if you life depends on it.
Put live turtle in a 55 gal. drum about a week, to allow it to empty it's system, it helps with the smell. Keep fresh water in the drum. Scoop out the feces with a net.
Using pliars, hold him tight by the mouth with his neck stretched out. Chop off his ..
Hang him upside down to bleed out for about 15 minutes.
Put him on his back, cut the claws and feet off.
Cut skin around shell top and bottom, cut and pull skin away from shell on the front legs until skin is removed.
On the soft shell belly outside edge of shell, cut through soft shell contact points and remove.
Remove guts and innards.
Remove front legs, may need to twist to break the joint.
Cut and peel skin from back legs and neck.
Remove back legs and neck, again twisting to break joints.
Leave meat on bone, but try to remove as much fat as possible.
Wash with cold water, repeat until clean.
cook the turtle like you would cook chicken.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Rattle Snake is good,
Frog Legs are great

There are not many critters in the woods i would not fry up.
Freezer usualy has Deer, Elk and Moose in it.

Turtle is good, Grouse is the best as far as birds.
Easy way to clean them, Put a foot on each wing, Grab the feet and pull
you will be left with a breast and feet, The skin, feathers, . and insides will go with the wings.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
We get heaps of rabbits here is Australia, soaking the meatin honey for a few hours really helps the gamey taste.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
What about parasites? That would be my biggest worry.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A bit off topic but hope no-one minds me question...

Is there anything that should be considered in terms of sudden dietary change from super market to mother natures market?

Although I'm getting more vegetarian by the week, I still use a lot of other ingredients in my dishes that are basically processed 'supermarket food' with additives/colourants/antioxidants/preservatives/etc.

What kind of effects could be expected if the X hit the fan and all that were available to eat was wild-growing veg and game? Anyone done anything like this and completely switched diets overnight?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A quick note for any who think that eating squirrel and rabbit in sit-x will save you. It wont. Neither of these animals have any fat on them. We need natural fats to survive. As a protein source they are great, but if this is all you are eating, you wont be for long. Big game animals have a good deal of fat, and some small ones such as coons have very fatty meat.

With that said. I havent eaten store bought meat in a long long time. Aside from the rare occasion I go to a restaurant. Cant remember the last time I ate a cow.

Some of the "odd" animals I have or do consume with no ill effects.

Whitetail
Moose
Wild Boar
Yak
Coon
Beaver
Porcupine
Rabbit
Squirrel
Dall Sheep
Lion (yes, was legal, found a website a few years back that sold it, no longer exists however)
Elk
Lynx
Caribou
Grouse (all types)
Ptarmagain (like a grouse)
Vols

Thats to name a few. There is alot of great tasting meat out there if you can get past needing it to be shrink wrapped in your local supermarket. Tastes great, better for you, and if you kill it or buy from a local farmer, you know exactly what is in it. No hormones, steroids, etc...

As for birds, I have heard many times that all birds are safe to eat. I dont know this as fact however, but I cant think of one I wouldnt try that isnt a scavanger or a fish duck.

As for the transistion from supermarket crap to real meat, may take a little adjusting, but well worth it, and you wont go back to the bland tasteless meat that society eats.

To prepare wild game, cook it slower than store bought stuff, generally a little less fat content, also this helps wipe out any "gamey" flavors. Be smart about preparation as well. You wouldnt drive home from the deli with pork chops tied to your roof, so dont do it with a deer. When cooking, bring up the internal heat to what you would do for pork to kill off any nasties, and you will be eating well.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

Good point. Here in Colorado along the front range prairie dogs test positive for bubonic plague. Not sure if they have them on the western slope. I don't have them where I live, it's too rocky. They have them in Denver and a truck goes around and sucks them out of their burrows and relocates them.

Locals don't mess with rabbit in summer months they get infested with fleas so most wait for colder weather for rabbit.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A sudden switch to an all natural i.e. wild diet may bring on constipation and cramps or even go the other way and bring on diarrhea.

grasshoppers and crickets roasted in sugar are delectable. They can be seasoned with pepper and chiles as well. They could almost be considered natures popcorn and are treated as such in many parts of the world.

Avoid bugs that are hairy or are brightly colored as a general rule.

As a general rule in the CONUS if it moves eat it.

Always try to remove any glands on mammals. They can be found in some joints, arm and leg pits and around the neck area.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Australia has an abundancy of wild game that is just downright tasty.
To list a few
-Kangaroo/Wallaby
-Rabbit/Hares
-Emu
-Wild Boar
-Goannas
-Camel
-Snakes
-Crocodiles
-Buffallo
-Turtles/Tortoise
-Frogs
-Grubs
There are so many more its silly, plus if you have any sort of fishing equipment the oceans and the rivers should keep your belly full.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by pazcat]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join