It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular state sovereignty bills draw comparison to Civil War posturing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Popular state sovereignty bills draw comparison to Civil War posturing

www.charlestoncitypaper.com

The threat is only implied in more than two-dozen state sovereignty bills making the rounds in legislatures across the country, except for a New Hampshire bill where the authors didn't hold back. Any law infringing on the state's right to self govern would trigger the dissolution of the nation: "All powers previously delegated to the United States of America by the Constitution ... shall revert to the several states individually."

The S.C. House of Representatives has approved a resolution with the same state's rights concerns (but omiting the dire consequences), and the Senate is expected to soon take up a similar resolution. State Rep. Michael Pitts (R-Laurens), who authored the House bill, says that it's not as much a threat to the Union as it is a "wake-up call." Federal mandates have strained his patience, particularly those laws relating to gun control and the treatment of illegal immigrants. Threats aren't necessary, he says. "If Washington doesn't wake up and our economy keeps going the way it is going, I don't think we'll have to dissolve the union," he says. "It won't be able to stand."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
More sovereignity reporting in the news.

Is the U.S. on the verge of state independence from the mafioso-like two party crime system, and will their puppet-masters---The Bilderberger / Wall Street / Mega-Corp / M.I.C. shadow ruling complex allow it to happen?

One thing's for certain---We cannot maintain this current course of financial armeggeddon, class-warfare, looting and financial slavery that is being mitigated endlessly amongst the tax base of "little people".

Which direction this may turn is truly one of the most important things facing each of us in modern times IMHO...

www.charlestoncitypaper.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Star for you, this is HUGE news, the significance of which will not be immediately apparent to non-Americans who still regard this country as a single homogenous entity.

The difference in social values between states like Texas and California, is now so huge that they are in effect separate nations with separate value sets.

The imposition of a left wing candidate in the Whitehouse and the threat of greater government control over individual states is bringing things to a head.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Obama could be the President who actually fragments the USA.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Obama could be the President who actually fragments the USA.

Star and flag for both posters.

I'm also concerned that obama's idea about having private insurance pay for a soldier's wound treatment will only help produce a pool of military trained people that will be willing to help take down the federal government.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
A war here would be nothing like the civil war...

there would be many factions -

And maybe the righties will finally understand the patriot act and many of BUSH's policies opened the door 2 freedom, i mean TERRORISMS, I meant terrorists - domestic style

Have fun kids

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You know what, it seems that might be Obama's legacy as the above poster stated. That statement makes alot of sense.

This is a very important development for our times and I think a direct blow to the plans of the PTB. They need the Union in order to created the NAU if it breaks up and we go back to states taking care of themselves, at that point they will need to convince 51 states individualy, instead of their bought off congress.

Very good news IMO, it's nice to see some of the states actually standing up for themselves and showing the people that they care.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

And maybe the righties will finally understand the patriot act and many of BUSH's policies opened the door 2 freedom, i mean TERRORISMS, I meant terrorists - domestic style

Have fun kids

If it "opened the door", it seems the lefties are only too eager to step through it to actually start taking away our freedoms and our money.

Make sure your criticism actually goes towards the people deserving it.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Go New Hampshire!! Wish all the other states would be so blunt and not just seeming to be posturing, maybe then it would get through to the clowns in D.C.

Or am I wishing for too much?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by mental modulator

Have fun kids

If it "opened the door", it seems the lefties are only too eager to step through it to actually start taking away our freedoms and our money.

Make sure your criticism actually goes towards the people deserving it.

I learned this from a BU#TE... Please tell me what freedoms have been taken away in the last three months???

It is not Lefty Legislation that allowed Banking elite to go wild and create BS derivative financial products.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, also known as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act, Pub.L. 106-102, 113 Stat. 1338, enacted November 12, 1999, is an Act of the United States Congress which repealed part of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, opening up competition among banks, securities companies and insurance companies. The Glass-Steagall Act prohibited a bank from offering investment, commercial banking, and insurance services.
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) allowed commercial and investment banks to consolidate. For example, Citibank merged with Travelers Group, an insurance company, and in 1998 formed the conglomerate Citigroup, a corporation combining banking and insurance underwriting services under brands including Smith-Barney, Shearson, Primerica and Travelers Insurance Corporation. This combination, announced in 1993 and finalized in 1994, would have violated the Glass-Steagall Act and the Bank Holding Company Act by combining insurance and securities companies, if not for a temporary waiver process [1]. The law was passed to legalize these mergers on a permanent basis. Historically, the combined industry has been known as the financial services industry.

The bills were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001. On May 6, 1999, the Senate passed the bills by a 54-44 vote along party lines (53 Republicans and one Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).

Thats 0 GOP who voted to maintain regulation in 1999

zero

I suppose all of you will for ever ignore the fact that FDIC would have required the government to pay for most of the lost money provided all the bank had failed.

I don't like any more than you do BTW- my views did not give the ELITES the open door to screw us - remember I'm a Libral, I believe in government.

You should take a long hard look

Once again list the FREEDOMS you have lost, Ok?

[edit on 18-3-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have to support the ideas and spirit behind this if not the entire bill. If a group of smaller entities are contractually bound to a larger management agency then they need only obey the stipulations of the contract as long the larger body continues to fulfill it's contractual obligations and does not impose upon restrictions set forth in said contract.

In other words, I see absolutely no reason why any state should continue to obey the federal government if the federal government no longer fulfills it's promises and obligations to the state. More over, if the federal government becomes obviously detrimental to the well being of the state then I would assume it's the state's own duty to disregard the federal government and handle it's business as a separate entity.

Given what we've seen the federal government do in the past few months/years I can honestly see little reason why ANY state would want to be continually obligated to it.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Asked for and answered ...

HR 1388 thread

See you in camp ...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here's the thing though guys---We have GOT to get past this "bipartisan" bickering and blame fest...This is WAY beyond party affiliations. This runs through our ENTIRE governmental system, on both sides at EVERY concievable angle. >ALL< of these incumbants are bought and paid for by the shadow ruling Elite, otherwise they would never be in such positions of "selected" power.

The entire system has been compromised for DECADES, and now we are seeing the finality of this infiltration come to fruition in a real life waking nightmare. We need to, at every opportunity, shine the spotlight on not only every one of these incumbants and call them out, but more importantly, the people behind the scenes, WHO ARE PULLING THEIR STRINGS.

THESE people are the biggest threat and danger to the citizenry on earth right now.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

You have an excellent point.

But exactly how do you propose that we take action?

What you call partisan bickering is really just an attempt to make sure the people responsible for electing the folks planning to do all of this to us know and learn what they've done. So that they will stop doing it in future elections.

If there are any future elections ...

[edit on 3/18/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Partisan bickering is useless because it doesn't matter what party one votes for or what party wins what election, both sides are the same when you consider their ultimate goals and apparently far reaching corruption.

We shouldn't consider ourselves "right" or "left" but we should think of ourselves as Americans and view the situation from the perspective of The Government vs The American Populous. Which side do you think has a vested interest in our rights and liberties?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
"Please tell me what freedoms have been taken away in the last three months???"

I'll answer this with another question. Have the Democrats proposed any initiatives to restore any of the freedumbs which were taken away during eight years of GOP rule at the White House? And by the way, it was also a boatload of Democrats who voted to take away Constitutional Rights during the eight year term of GWB. How quickly we forget...

If this doesn't signal to you that both parties are part of a two headed and two faced coin, nothing will. So while the masses are being distracted and fighting over the mythical concept known as partisan politics, the powers that be are living it up and devising new schemes to screw over the people.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You really think this will ever happen? Really? Come on no state is ever going to leave the union. The whole idea is just laughable. How is a state like vermont for example going to pay for its all its federally funded progams? Roads, schools, welfare, how about college loans for its residents? The exportation of maple syrup? The taxes would have to be astronomical. Its just not possible.

Nothing will ever happen with these "bills" Its just no-name politicans who want to read thier name in the paper.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yes, but when we get into the "democratic controlled congress" or "republican / democratic administration" is "the one at fault for all this mess", what we are doing is exactly what the people REALLY controlling the entire political /governance game want. It is a trick as old as time---They pit one "side" against the other (even though party "differences" are superficial and illusionary at their core, as they all serve the same masters), and this keeps the masses from focusing on the ROOT of this sinister system of greed, power and control. I myself have been guilty of falling into this trap. Reagan, Carter, Clinton, Bush Sr & Junior, and now Obama ALL are working for the same special interest Elitist cabal, and this cabal is ESCALATING its agendas against what it views as lesser entities, or "cattle"---WE, the people.

I do agree that we need to call out the puppets, whoever is in power making the schemes go through, but we need to also be aware that the ENTIRE game on both sides is rigged, and who is rigging it, and start to escalate our own dissent towards them and let them know that after decades of this, we MILLIONS of people have reached our breaking point with this "business as usual" crap. It's time to call these people out at every turn, and not let them go about their lives without a care in the world until they BACK OFF OF US, and stop treating us as their personal serfs and pawns.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I used to live in New Hampshire and the state motto of Live Free or Die isn't just something slathered on License Plates and trivets, it is lived and breathed every day. Kudos to New Hampshire (and the other states) for standing up for what's right for a change and adhering to the principles for which we all stand.

Now the big question becomes thus:

When and if (I tend to lean more towrds the when theory) Obama decides to implement more of these crazy laws and repeal some basic ones that should be there (such as pilots carrying protection), or mandate community service, will this be enough for those states that have passed these resolutions to actually do something, or is this more hot air.

I hope that it is not, for all of our sakes, we need this wakeup, we NEED to come together for the principles this nation was founded upon, and tell the DC crowd that we are sick of it, we have had it, and in one voice declare NO MORE!

The only stumbling block I can see are the still millions that are blinded by the Obama Demigod.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
I used to live in New Hampshire and the state motto of Live Free or Die isn't just something slathered on License Plates and trivets, it is lived and breathed every day..

Wow that's the state motto?

I tell you, if any thing does come to pass, they had better increase their national guard real quick like b/c Obama wasn't joking around when he called himself the new gen Lincoln.. which was blasphemy at its best.

Ironic? Is it possible Obama was warned of such a possible separation of the union and thus likened himself to Lincoln?

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Techsnow]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
You really think this will ever happen? Really? Come on no state is ever going to leave the union. The whole idea is just laughable.

Dont suppose you have ever been to Alaska or Texas have you? Both rich with oil, land, crazy people that cant stand the rules the feds are laying down for us.

If it gets bad enough, I can see one or both of these states walking away and others will follow. NH, Idaho, Wyoming, Oklahoma, etc...

The big question comes after states start to leave the union. Do the feds declare a 2nd civil war to force them back in? Does DC actually take stock of their actions and change to recreate the union?

Alot of bad may be in our near future now that the states are waking up. Then again, it could be alot of good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join