It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydryl

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Nenothtu took the proferred pad and digested what he saw there. Seeker got an 'order' from SOMEWHERE, but evidently not the Captain. Seeker said it was a built-in protocol, engineering said it originated from a cargo bay. The Chief navigator's body had also been discovered in a cargo bay.

Neno took up his comm unit.

"Cheif nenothtu to Security. Lockdown all cargo sections, and sweep them. Any intruders are probably long gone from there, but I want 'em SHINY clean of intruders. Nenothtu out."

" You drew down on the Cap'n, huh? Bet that had a pretty high pucker factor. I can't allow this boat to be taken over by Marines OR 'nanowhatsits'... or rogue tin men, for that matter. Think we can find these teeny tiny techno-baubles with a Radio Frequency sweep or something? That is, if their here at all. Oh, yeah, are your Marines calmed down enough yet to open their cage? I can't release YOU yet, Captain's orders, but if your boys are gonna behave themselves, I'd rather not keep 'em cooped up and getting more frustrated by the minute, if you get my drift."

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Studious
"... when we engaged the Nimitz there was not a scratch on her."

Studious thought to himself. "Until Seeker destroyed her."

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Studious]

"Well, she's ALL scratched up now. I doubt we'll be getting much 'evidence' there."

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
"Security Chief Nenothtu to Captain Luder: You might want to have somebody take a look at the programming in the mechanical parts of Seeker, find out if that order was internal or external. Nenothtu out."

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Think we can find these teeny tiny techno-baubles with a Radio Frequency sweep or something? That is, if their here at all.

"I'm not sure, but I bet the Chief Engineer would know how to do something like that."

"Oh, yeah, are your Marines calmed down enough yet to open their cage? I can't release YOU yet, Captain's orders, but if your boys are gonna behave themselves, I'd rather not keep 'em cooped up and getting more frustrated by the minute, if you get my drift."

"It would be a good idea to get the Marines back into action. We may need them if we really do find something. Plus keeping 2,000 Marines against their will does not work for very long."

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Captain Luder picked up the relay.

"Neno, how is the Colonel? He seemed pretty beat up when he was up here. I hope everything is well. I know we all had knee-jerk reactions to a bunch of quickly changing scenarios, and we're still getting a feel for how each of us work. Neno, release the Colonel. I need the two of you to figure out where the doctor is and why we have murders going on aboard the ship. Keep me apprised."

Luder put the relay down and sent a message to engineering via the computer systems. It seemed the engines were manually cut off after leaving Alpha Centauri.....

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Through the ship's large monitoring network, Seeker listened to the conversation between the CSO and the Colonel. An interesting theory was proposed:

Order: Adamant Resolve was ingrained into his neural structure, but it should not have been compulsory. He should have been able to control the situation and act in a more discriminate way.

With a fervor, Seeker reviewed the access logs into his section of the Penelope's internal network.

With a start, he found what he had suspected. An extremely clever override order had been inserted into the normal operating system of his neural network. It was insidious in nature because it was so simple.

One directive out of millions became compulsive to the point where situational data wasn't accounted for. With a start, Seeker deleted the line of code permanently and erected a 5-fold geometry encryption around his personal space on the network.

Suddenly, alternative actions began to manifest themselves. He could have called back the boarders before launching. He could have alerted the Captain of the danger. The situation would have ultimately ended the same, but with far less friendly causalities.

Regardless, the Nimitz did indeed fall into Order: Adamant Resolve. It's destruction could not have been avoided.

Hurriedly, Seeker packaged his findings and compiled a message to the Colonel, the Captain, and CSO Neno:

[Alert: Security Team and Captain Luder. See packaged files. Hack originated in the cargo holds. Suggesting immediate action. Colonel Studious, please accept my personal apologies for the losses your men suffered at my hands. I was lax in my defenses when I arrived on board. I was overconfident that I would be able to detect a hack, and lulled into a false sense of security on what I believed was a secure ship. I offer to explain myself and apologize directly to your surviving men, should you arrange it.]

[edit on 23-3-2009 by SeekerOfAUTMN]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Neno hit the comm button.

"Chief nenothtu to All Security staff: The marines are off lockdown, effective immediately. They are NOT to so much as sneeze without orders from their colonel, though. I'm with Colonel Studious at the moment, so no untoward actions out to occur without my knowledge" he grinned - an awful lot of untoward stuff had happened without his knowledge while in search of the good doctor - "from the Marines, anyhow. Nenothtu out."

He fiddled with the frequency adjustment.

"Security Chief nenothtu to Captain Luder: I've got security searching the cargo holds for intruders at the moment. If these 'nanothingies' are aboard, engineering ought to be able to ferret them out, if told to do so. Nenothtu out."

Turning back to Colonel Studious, nenothtu said "I doubt the Cap'n is covering anything up, but if he is, it'll get found out pretty quick. If it ISN'T the captain, ain't no telling how high this thing might go. I'd imagine it would be best to keep this aboard ship for the present. If one of the higher ups IS gunning for us, it'd probably be a bad idea to send out any reports that might give 'em a heads up that we're on to them, don't you think?"

[edit on 2009/3/23 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

"Aye aye, Skipper. He's dinged up, but I reckon he'll live. Might be limping for a while after he gets out of the doc shop, though. will release the colonel ASAP. Nenothtu out."

"Cap'n Luder says you're free as a bird, Colonel. Consider yourself released from custody."

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
[Alert: Security Team and Captain Luder. See packaged files. Hack originated in the cargo holds. Suggesting immediate action. Colonel Studious, please accept my personal apologies for the losses your men suffered at my hands. I was lax in my defenses when I arrived on board. I was overconfident that I would be able to detect a hack, and lulled into a false sense of security on what I believed was a secure ship. I offer to explain myself and apologize directly to your surviving men, should you arrange it.]

As the Colonel read the message he flashed back to the image held by the co-pilot. He quickly put it out of his mind. If all of this was true, then someone in the cargo hold had caused this catastrophe. The cargo hold must be the key. Fooks had died there and from there the deaths of those on the Nimitz, the fighters and the spec ops dropship were sealed.

The Colonel's anger shifted, the murderer was still out there and it was time he paid for what has happened.

Reaching his hand up to his ear, with now finally clotted wounds, Studious told the Marines to

"Secure all hatches, every entry way, every exit. We'll compartmentalize the ship."

If the murderer was still out there this would trap him.

"Cap'n Luder says you're free as a bird, Colonel. Consider yourself released from custody."

Excellent give me a cane and I'll resume my duties.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

"Colonel, I'd be screaming BELAY THAT ORDER right at this moment, if it weren't a prudent course of action." There went neno's lopsided grin again.

"Fact is, we're gonna HAVE to work together if this thing is to be resolved. I'd appreciate if, in the future, you'd check with security to see what we're doing BEFORE using Marines to secure the ship. And again, in return, I'll not interfere in YOUR off ship ops." Neno thought a moment, and added "I'm pretty glad I wasn't involved in the LAST one, that's for sure!"

"We can get back to scrappin' with one another after the emergency is over, and any... intruders... are in irons."

"Right now, Security is already sweeping the cargo holds. If you could spare a few jarheads...er, I mean MARINES to assist there, I'd appreciate it."

"But the order to compartmentalize the ship stands" - and nenothtu passed it on to Security.

"Are you SURE you're up to personally assisting? The image of you limping as you chase down an evil-doer, and whacking at him with a cane, is no one I relish..."

[edit on 2009/3/23 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

"Colonel, I'd be screaming BELAY THAT ORDER right at this moment, if it weren't a prudent course of action." There went neno's lopsided grin again.

Studious thought to himself "This chief is very territorial, I'd best make sure the Marines get approval for any on ship ops. Unless of course it's too vital to get approval...."

The Colonel could hear the disdain calling the Marines "jarheads" and while he normally would have said something, the situation was too volatile. After all Marines and Security staff had come very close to killing each other just a few minutes before.

Studious ordered the only remaining spec ops team, attached to battalion two, to head to the cargo bay to assist the security sweep.

Studious was still heavily injured, but faked that he was good to go. He was not going to sit idly by while this killer was on the loose. The Colonel had risked everything and almost shot the Captain when he thought mf_luder was the one who ordered the attack. Now was no different, the murderer was out there and Studious was going to put a bullet in him.

The Colonel got Jim the medical assistant to give him a cane and the cranky, man still feeling the effects of a few medical pills limped off toward the Cargo Bay and toward revenge.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Nenothtu, also en-route to the cargo areas, thought to himself " This fella's like a loose cannon. I wonder who's on the trigger? One thing for sure, he seems to want this boat BADLY - bad enough to nearly stage a coup! I wonder why? I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one."

Chief nenothtu thumbed his comm box " Chief nenothtu to security crew: If you find ANYTHING out of the way in the cargo bays, I want it alive, whatever it is. Don't go punching holes in it. We can't get information from DEAD informants. Nenothtu out."

He hoped the Marine SpecOps understood the need for intel more than blood. They seemed a pretty bloodthirsty bunch.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Studious joined up with the second spec ops team. These men knew those aboard the dropship very well. So these men were just as agitated as Studious.

To steady them the Colonel said "I want this man alive. If we finish this murderer off too early we'll never truly know what happened back there, and I know none of us want that."

The limping Colonel took point over the objection of the others. But the Colonel calmly and coolly said "I'm already injured, If I take point I can't get much worse, can I?"

Searching compartment by compartment the team moved slowly forward.

As they searched Studious kept mulling over two things. One Fooks mysterious ability to transport, and second the Captain's lie about Seeker's 'miscalculation'. Something did not feel right either of those ideas, and it made the limping Studious nervous.

The search pressed on.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The fact that the marines and security forces were - for the time being - working together was comforting enough for Luder to start focusing on other things.

He sat down at the command station and started pulling up navigational charts. It seemed the sudden reversal out of the wormhole drive had dropped the ship somewhere near Barnard's Star, out in the deep space void between solar systems. Luder wasn't worried about the fact they were in deep space, that was a non-issue. What was troublesome is they had no way of knowing if the centaurians had followed them through the wormhole.

A voice from the communications station caused Luder to look up from his data pads. It was a red-haired female commander he had never seen before.

"Captain. We are receiving a priority message from command. Shall I patch it through to the speakers?" Luder stared for a second, trying to remember her name then nodded.

This is a fleet wide full alert! Repeat, this is a fleet wide full alert! The Alpha Centaurian Consulate has declared a state of open war on the United Earth Federation. All vessels within range are required to report to Earth Sector for rearming and resupply at once. This is a fleet wide full alert!

Luder straightened in his seat. There was no way he was taking this ship anywhere until he got some answers from someone. He motioned for the commander to cut the transmission. Standing up, he took a walk around the command station, mulling over his options. Finally, he got on his personal relay.

All staff heads, hear this. We are not moving so much as an inch until we get some answers. I will inform command that we are - unable - to comply with the current orders for 72 hours to - effect repairs on the drives. We need to figure out what is going on here before we carry this ship and possibly either a murderer or another type of threat right into Earth orbit. If any of you have objections to that course of action, file it in your personal reports. Captain out.

"Sir, there is another transmission coming from Earth Command, shall I put it through?" Luder nodded at the young woman.

"Captain Luder, what the hell do you think you're doing out there?!?" The face of Admiral Gordon appeared on the screens.

"Sir, if you saw the holotapes, they tell a much clearer story than any of us can. The ship's logs have been transmitted to you as well."

"I saw all that. My question to you is, why do you still have that "thing" on your bridge?" The Admiral's face was one of disgust.

"I'm sorry, sir? Thing?" Luder knew the Admiral was irate, but one doesn't just call up and insult his crew right in front of him.

"The enhancer. You will remove him from access to the ship's weaponry until further notice."

"Sir, I can't do that."

"What?!"

"What occurred out there may not have been his fault. We are currently tracking leads on this vessel which point to a possible security breach, not caused by Seeker." Luder said, leaning over in the command station. He saw what he was looking for and pressed a record button on the transmission.

"Captain, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. You are to remove him from his station at once, regardless of what you do or don't find out there. Am I clear?" Admiral Gordon's face was red.

"No."

"No?"

"No. Not while we're in a state of war. He's the best man we've got on the guns as it stands." Luder very slowly ground his back teeth. The Admiral was obviously furious.

"Captain. You are ordered to return to Earth immediately for further actions to be taken against your enhancer and I'm very strongly considering what should be done about you as well."

"Sir, we can't move."

"Captain Luder, this isn't that old TV show, Star Trek. You are ordered to return to Earth at once!" The transmission cut.

Luder got on his personal relay to JohnQ.

John, I need you to make a convincing set of reports to send to fleet command which suggest the Penelope is immobile. I need them as soon as possible.

Luder then switched channels to Neno and Studious.

Gentlemen, you have 72 hours to figure something out before I absolutely have to take us back in. Time starts now.

Luder turned back to the red-haired commander, but she was no longer on the bridge. His jaw dropped a bit. Luder looked around the bridge but could see no sign of the mysterious woman. He looked over at the guards near the doors to the command center, but neither of them had moved. Luder walked over to them and pointed over to the communications station.

"Did either of you see where that communications officer went?" The two guards looked perplexed.

"Sir, there has been no one at that station since we came up here several hours ago."

[edit on 23-3-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Seeker's holographic image flashed into existence before Captain Luder.

"Captain, if you, or anyone, feels uncomfortable with me manning the guns, I offer to retire to my cabin for the duration of the voyage. A crew that does not trust its captain is a disaster in waiting.

"Furthermore, the Admiral has puzzled me. Order: Adamant Resolve links directly to the Navy intelligence division. The navy designed this order. I cannot understand his disposition. Is it possible that Naval Intelligence did not release the files concerning Adamant Resolve and Cold Harvest, even to an admiral?"

[edit on 23-3-2009 by SeekerOfAUTMN]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

"There's no way to know, Seeker. I've never heard of either of the operations you just mentioned until today. Aside from that, you aren't going anywhere. At the very least, you being here means I can keep an eye on you myself. We need to give neno and Studious time to track down who is actually responsible for this." Luder smiled.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

"Very good Sir. I appreciate your trust."

"I have many questions for Naval Intelligence when we return to Earth. I am concerned that I am losing my free will. They promised this would not be the case. They have much to answer for."

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

"For you and me both, Seeker."

"Do you think it is possible you may be able to use your intimate connection with the Penelope to help us track down who caused this? Maybe better protect yourself from another hack attempt? Whoever caused what you did is also most likely responsible for the death of Fooks. Plus, it would go a long way toward earning Studious' trust back if you could provide that type of help."

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Does anybody know whether we have cam-logs of the ship?

Does anybody know when the Captain was last seen, heard or logged into deck?

"Sir, there are no cam-logs aboard this vessel. The ship itself may be able to tell us something, perhaps it could recognize and track the Captain's energy pattern.

Antar are you able to communicate with the ship? If so we could be able to determine where the Captain's energy signal was last sensed upon the vessel.

My terminal shows no record of any unknown entities on board. I'm beginning to think there's something about these Betelgeusian we don't know."

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63ec9e6308e3.jpg[/atsimg]

…Accordingly, you will assume command of the ship as Interrex Captain.

Preliminary orders have already been given to Officer Skyfloating to immediately communicate our consent to the demands. You may proceed at will on that basis through any of the means previously discussed.

Is that understood Interrex Captain loam?

"Yes, High Commander. That is understood."

Good.

Their Majesties do not want direct credit for the result- unless of course you manage to succeed.

I would suggest you make a sound impression in your negotiations.

The image vanished, leaving behind a clear screen and loam’s reflection.

Prophesy.

------------------------

loam entered the command bridge and simply began:

I am assuming command of this starship.

Officer Skyfloating, deliver the coordinates placing us 275,000 km above the third Betelgeuse moon, J’i Moden.

Officer scurvy, I need you to please modify the HIPD to deliver the maximum possible single-burst output. You can assume the target will be a large one. One shot is all that we will require.

Officer antar, contact the Deern embassy on Velus Prime and deliver instructions on producing Masher’s Vaccine in exchange for the temporary use of thirty Deern tugs. They are to assemble and await further instruction.

Officer Whisper, assess the secured Alpha3 and Delta7 logs and determine the location, circumstances and time of Captain Cadbury’s disappearance. It would be helpful to know more. Also, please determine the status of any additional command officers expected to be aboard.

Any questions?

loam considered the thin group of command officers. One by one he matched them to their prophetic roles. He could hear the faint chant of the Mossian-Slea nuns run in his head.

When no questions were forthcoming, loam nodded.

Thank you. Please summon me upon our arrival. I will be in my quarters until then.

On the way out, loam noticed the massive aquarium and smiled.

æxløsisians really did amuse him...

[edit on 24-3-2009 by loam]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join