It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydryl

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

"Go ahead and take us out, helm."

In the bowels of the Penelope, the massive drive turbines came to life, beginning the cycles they would need to propel the ship through the aether to their final destination of what would hopefully be a meeting with the Yydryl.

The Penelope gracefully nosed up and slid through the debris field surrounding the destroyed orb of what was once their home, several of the crew silently watching as she slid out of the Penelope's forward viewports and into the silence. Penelope reached a clear area above the debris field, elongated and jumped into a wormhole.

Once the exterior was back to the familiar swirl of wormhole travel, Luder sat down in the command chair. He sat back and put his hands on the armrests, wiggling around for a bit. Something didn't feel quite right about the chair. He looked at the arm rests and the cushions and even spun it side to side ever so slightly, but couldn't seem to get comfortable. Luder looked back up and gasped. There was no one left on the bridge save for who appeared to be a civilian female.

"Who the hell are you and where is my crew?" Luder said, grabbing the edges of the armrests and propelling himself up onto his feet. He reached for his pistol and noticed it was gone. The woman moved from around the helm control station and walked to within five feet of him, a smile on her face. She looked.... familiar.... She had stark white skin, which offset the raven black hair pouring down across her shoulders and bosom. Her eyes were a shade of rich purple and her lips were glossed with a dark shade of black or deep blue lipstick. She was wearing a midnight blue, long-sleeved shirt and a black leather skirt with knee-high black boots.

"I am Tess Luder."

Luder felt uneasy and actually sat back down on the chair which was beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable.

"But you're - you're....."

"Dead?" She smiled and sat on the edge of the tactical station, folding her arms across her chest.

"....yeah." Luder felt his face grow pale and he suddenly felt a chill run down his spine. "I'm not...."

"No silly. You're not." She chuckled, her laugh sounding like the faint tinkling of wind chimes in a summer breeze.

"Why are you here then?"

"I've come to start you down a path, Myron Francis. A path that you were predestined to follow many years before you ever thought about stepping foot on a starship. Once which runs thick in our family line."

"My name is not..... Wait. What kind of path are you talking about? I'm needed HERE on this ship, RIGHT now. So much has happened. I can't leave the Penelope now." Luder frowned and shook his head.

"You don't understand, MF. You have to trust what I'm about to say. Many things are in motion in this galaxy right now which far outweigh anything going on in your life right now. Things that not only put your ship and the world at stake, but the galaxy and possibly the universe. People like us are amassing and need each other and the time has come for us to set into motion plans which were spoken about in prophecies eons ago. This is your destiny." She stood up.

"Go? Go where?" Luder was baffled.

"I will feed coordinates into the Storm's Breath and set you up a direct flight line to where the research is taking place. You need to act quickly, MF. Time is running out. Your time here, with these people and this ship has come and passed. They need to follow their own destinies now. You have impacted them in many ways as they have you and what you've done here was for the positive influence of all involved. Now, you need to take that leadership elsewhere. We need you."

Luder took a deep breath and felt a knot in his chest. The chair was supremely uncomfortable and he stood up. As much as it caused pain, he could see she was right. Things were changing around him. He looked at the floor for a long time and looked back up.

"Alright, I'll do it." She was gone. In her place, the helmsman and tactical officer both turned around.

"Sir?"

"Nothing, nothing. Helm, drop us out of wormhole drive at once."

"Sir??!"

"Do it."

The Penelope's engine noise changed suddenly, the drives protesting the sudden reversal of the wormhole process. Theresa crossed the bridge and furrowed her eyebrows, looking into Luder's eyes. He smiled and nodded at her. He turned back to the chair and flicked on the inter-ship communications channel.

As of right now, I am effectively resigning as the Commander of this ship. I am turning complete control over to Lieutenant Commander Asher. To the crew of this ship I would first like to say thank you for your service. The things you have done in this life will echo in eternity. Give Asher the same respect and courtesy as you gave me. Good luck and safe travels.

There was an immediate uproar on the bridge. Luder took one last look around, feeling his heart pounding in his chest. Communications channels were lighting up all over the board. He snatched up his communicator and headed out of the command center, Theresa hot on his heels.

"What the hell are you doing, Luder? This ship needs you now more than ever!" Theresa grabbed his arm and spun him around. "I need you....."

"Theresa, I can't explain everything right now, but you have to come with me. There's something I have to do." She stared at him for a long time and frowned.

"I can't, Luder, just as you can't. You know we can't leave here like this."

"I have to. I will. Either you can come or you can stay. There are events in motion which not even I can explain right now but I just know I have to get out of here." Luder felt her grip relax and her hand slide off of his arm. She looked around the corridor and finally nodded.

"Let's go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bay Luder's personal ship, the Storm's Breath was docked in was quiet for the time of day and there were only a few technicians present when he and Theresa barged in and headed up the ramp. Behind them, a group of reporters and the Vice President were all following, everyone yelling at once. Brandom was supremely pissed off and she was making it clear that she was going to do everything in her power to ruin everyone's careers involved.

Theresa patted Luder on the shoulder and smiled. "I'll run the start up sequences. Get rid of the civilians." Luder laughed.

"I think we're technically civilians now too, sweetheart." He turned back to the ramp and pointed at Brandom.

"You can take the ship and my damned rank, Mary. You didn't want my help, well.... looks like you got your wish. So long your highness." He winked and mashed the retraction button the ramp. As he jogged the corridor to the cockpit, he could hear the engines coming to life. He climbed into the cockpit and took a seat next to Theresa, helping with the rest of the launch preparations.

Outside of the Storm's Breath, the massive bay doors began to slide open, revealing the inky blackness of the void. Theresa moved some levers and the ship lifted up from the deck, sliding through the atmospheric shielding into space. Theresa flew out about ten clicks and came back around, stopping the ship about five hundred meters from the Penelope.

"She's beautiful." Luder said. Theresa nodded.

"Where to, Captain?" She asked, smiling. Luder ran through some computer files and noticed the one Tess said would be there. He plugged it into the auto-pilot and sat back in the cockpit chair, kicking his feet up on the dashboard. He grinned, a cocky - lopsided grin and crossed his arms behind his head.

"Second star to the right and straight on until morning."

Outside the Penelope, the Storm's Breath turned into an long point of blurred light and vanished into the aether.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Studious was still adjusting himself after having been brought to a guest quarters by a droid.

His uniform was torn and seared by the weapon blast that had cut him but his flesh was fine.

Then suddenly and without warning he gripped his chest and dropped his cane.

He had felt a disturbance.

Maybe it was just a side effect of that device they'd put him in but he felt like something had happened. He couldn't quite describe the feeling but before he could think of it further he heard someone outside the door.

The old man tried to make himself presentable but his shirt was torn so his efforts were somewhat futile. But he was as presentable as he could make himself under the circumstances.

He picked up his cane and approached the door...

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Studious]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Not quite sure what to say to the U-Man I raised my hand to push the call button to his door, and then dropped my hand to my side again.

Tipping my head back on my shoulders I took a deep breath and tried to relax, tried to convince myself it wasn't his fault I felt such unease.
My tension and unease was stress created from feeling I’d been far too long gone from Ship's Center.
And that, I had to remind myself, was not the fault of the U-Man behind the door.

All the unanswered questions on the other hand was something Studious was responsible for and the sooner the questions got answered the better.

Like, why had he returned? After the way Studious had boarded the Yydryl the first time, then escaped, only to come back?
Was it intentional? A strange coincidence? Some strange cosmic joke?

And the U-Man crew? Even Twitchy Nathan?
Where had they come from? And where were they now?
I wasn't naive enough to believe they’d stayed on the Yydryl a moment longer than they’d had to.

And Ship? What was her role in all this?

But Ship and I would have to talk later, about her role in the U-Man and his crew, about her allowing the Hologram Entity aboard, if she had that is.
About the eyes that followed us all throughout the corridors, an entity separate from the Hologram.

Shaking my head I took a breath to clear my mind and find my center, to relax myself.

Cim was right. First we had to deal with Studious.
The U-Man had a lot of questions to answer and only the least of them being the tapes he’d brought with him from the Penelope.
It was time to get him to the bridge where we would all meet and get to the bottom of the situation.

Raising my hand to punch the call button I stopped, and cocked my head to listen.

A laugh, not unlike the tinkling of the wind chime at Cim’s cabin floated through the corridors of my mind.
A voice I’d heard only once, after the U-Mans first escape from the Yydryl, in those moments of darkness when I hadn’t known if the U-Mans had burned to death or escaped, it was her voice now that swept through my conscious.

‘Where to, Captain?’ She said, her voice full of wonder and hope.

A second voice, one I recognized from the diplomatic packet sent from the Captain Luder of the Penelope echoed through me as he answered her question, his own voice full of the same hope.

‘Second star to the right and straight on until morning.’

And then they were gone.

My heart wrenched and a sob caught in my throat.
Loss.
What I felt now was a deep well of loss.

Stunned I hit the call button to the room, waited for the door to the Embassy Suit to open, and blinked when my eyes met those of the U-Man Studious.

In that one glance, I could tell, he had felt it too.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

As of right now, I am effectively resigning as the Commander of this ship. I am turning complete control over to Lieutenant Commander Asher. To the crew of this ship I would first like to say thank you for your service. The things you have done in this life will echo in eternity. Give Asher the same respect and courtesy as you gave me. Good luck and safe travels.

For several moments I can't believe my ears, but this is space and stranger things have happened, the Lieutenant Commander of course is not on this ship, I grab my datapad and send a message to Mr. Toodles.

"Mr Toodles, since Lieutenant Commander Asher is not on board it seems that, as the RSM on board, command of this vessel has dropped in my backyard, command is something I have studiously avoided, to that end I am going to take command just long enough to get this ship and the Yydryl within a boomerang of each other and get the Lieutenant Commander here if I have to light up the quantum stream myself!"
Chief Engineer Prof-Rabbit
end

As Luder's ship Storm's Breath left the docking bay I keyed the com-link "Sheila, interface to the ship's navigation and the long range scanners, pulse them if you need to, find the location of the Yydryl please."

"Yes Professor" and a moment later Sheila intones "the name of the planet the Yydryl is in orbit of is Kelvax, coordinates have been passed to navigation"

"Thank you Sheila, Ms Craig give me bridge comms" the comms light flashes "Bridge, this is the Chief Engineer, I believe we need to pickup Lieutenant Commander Asher, stand by for wormhole drive"

I key the ship to ship comms "Mr Luder, I hope you know what you are doing, I'm sure the commander's seat will be kept warm if you decide to return" turning to my 2 IC, "Ms Craig, engage wormhole drives" in less than a blink we are headed to the Yydryl.

Re-entering normal space we are indeed a "boomerang's throw" from the Yydryl, well at least from the forward part of the enormous vessel hanging in space, keying ship to ship comms I carefully phrase my request.

"Yydryl, this is the Penelope, would you please inform Lieutenant Commander Asher that due to unforeseeable circumstances he is now named as the current Captain of this ship, if possible would he be so kind as to make an appearance on the bridge to discuss the current situation, Penelope out."

Picking up my datapad I send another message, "Mr Toodles, would you please meet me on the bridge, I have asked Yydryl to inform him that he is currently ship's Captain"

"Ensign Roberts, to the bridge please"

[edit on 6-9-2009 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Asher watched Studious from his ethereal vantage point. The man seemed to be much the same way he had always been, paranoid and delusional.

There didn't seem to be much point in revealing himself. Studious would probably have a coronary. He wasn't on the best of terms with Studious, and the deranged man certainly wouldn't be happy to see him.

Suddenly, Yydryl broke its silence and informed Asher that it had received a transmission from the Penelope. With some amusement, Yydryl then revealed that the Penelope had broadcasted the transmission from less than 15 kilometers away.

The great ship seemed to take amusement from Asher's surprise.

Asher quickly sought out the quantum shard of himself that he had left upon the Penelope before realizing that it had been purged. Asher speculated that that must have been quite a feat.

He informed the great Ship that he would return and converse with it at length. Yydryl was grateful for the company and welcomed him to return at his leisure.

With a binary gasp, Asher fled from the Yydryl's colossal quantum mind.

Moments later, there was a flicker of blue light on the Penelope's bridge at the same time as a quantum flux was observed within its computing array.

With a snap and a hum, Asher's image appeared before the Captain's chair. It looked taken aback to find it empty.

The image turned to the bridge crew and a voice emanated from the bridge's announcement system.

"What has happened? Where is Captain Luder?"

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

We did not have long to wait, no sooner than I arrived the hologram emitters light up.

With a snap and a hum, Asher's image appeared before the Captain's chair. It looked taken aback to find it empty. The image turned to the bridge crew and a voice emanated from the bridge's announcement system.

"What has happened? Where is Captain Luder?"

"Lieutenant Commander Asher I presume" I said "To answer your last question first, we do not know where the former Captain is, only that Mr Luder is on his ship 'Storm's Breath' approximately half way between here and Earth, your first question would take some time to answer and likely be biased between renderings," I touched my com-link " Sheila please package all data from the point of attack on Earth and the Station to current and stream it to the Lieutenant Commander"

"Compiled and sending Professor" replies Sheila

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Nenothtu arose from his bunk with bleary eyes, a foul taste in his mouth as if he'd been eating cigarette butts. "That stuff ain't fit fer human consumption." he mused, adding "at least there ain't no hangover this time". He stumbled into the bathroom, brushed his teeth to get rid of the taste of ashes, then straightened the uniform that he'd passed out in. Thinking better of it, he tripped over to the closet and retrieved a fresh one, eyeing the clandestine still he had set up in the closet with some trepidation. "One of these days you're gonna kill me" he muttered to it before shucking out of the rumpled uniform he was wearing, and into the fresh one.

Taking a few minutes to gain his bearings and make sure his legs were truly operative enough to get him around, he vacated his quarters and headed for the bridge. Enroute, he stopped at the ship's mess to get something on his stomach.

The server behind the counter eyed him with some amusement. "You look like you been rode hard and put up wet, Chief" she said.

"It ain't all THAT pleasant, Cookie" neno replied.

"What can I get you, Chief?" Cookie said to skirt the comment.

Nenothtu looked around, and couldn't see anything that struck his fancy at the moment. Honestly, he couldn't even see anything he was sure would stay down at present. "Just coffee, I reckon. Hot, strong, and solid black please" he finally decided.

"Big 'un or little 'un?" came back the query from Cookie.

"Big 'un. HUGE one. Big as ya got. A 55 gallon drum of it on an IV rack would be about right."

Cookie suppressed a grin. "You want donuts with that?"

Neno's stomach did a flip-flop. "Cookie, for all those curves you hide under that smock, you ARE a sadistic little thing. That's probably why we never hit it off just right."

Cookie snorted, and said "we never hit it off 'cause you keep running away! Ain't MY fault."

It was neno's turn to snort. "Who want's a woman that can't even keep up with a gimped up old man like me anyhow?" he replied rhetorically.

Cookie grinned. "I got cuffs. I'll get you yet!" she teased.

"YOU are incorrigible, and I got work to do." neno said as he threw his head back and turned to leave.

"I'm off at 1800, I'll see you then" Cookie threw out as a parting shot.

"Not if I see you first!" neno responded as he scooted out the door.

"Women. Sailors. Women sailors!" he grumbled as he headed down the corridor.

Nearing the bridge, neno could hear a commotion inside. As he entered the bridge, Mary Bransom's shrill voice assailed his ears. It seemed she was pleased to be displeased with some recent event. A hologram of Seeker stood on the command deck facing Captain Luder's chair, looking over it at Ms Bransom with a bemused expression. Mary, for her part, seemed to be in a fine rage. Unfortunately, she and her entourage were standing between neno and his work station.

"You and your straphangers are in my way, Mary. Pipe down and move."

President Bransom became even more purple in the face. "You can't talk to me like that! I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UE..."

Nenothtu cut her off with " Fine, MARY. Go be presidential elsewhere. You're disrupting the workflow here."

"I'll.... I'll..." She sputtered.

Neno cut her off again. "You'll get off this bridge. NOW. Pitch your fit elsewhere." As an afterthought, he added " The chow hall has a decent audience for your histrionics at the moment," Neno thought Cookie could use the excitement.

Bransom was absolutely livid. " I'LL HAVE YOUR JOB!" she shouted at him.

Neno was in no mood for it. "Fine. It's yours as soon as you complete the paperwork to fire me. Not before. To be honest, though, I doubt you can handle my job."

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THIS? I AM THE PRESIDENT OF..."

Neno sighed, and cut her off yet again, "I know, dear. You are the president of the UEF. You may not have notice in all the hissy fits you been throwing, but your little empire is in ruins. I DARE because I can. What are you gonna do? Clap me in irons? Destroy my home? Take away my birthday? One day soon, you may want a shooter in your corner, instead of these creampuffs and yes-men you surround yourself with. When that day comes, if you've fired me, I sure hope these... men... you have in your retinue are tougher than they look. Now GIT! We have work to do on this bridge, and you are disrupting it." Almost as an afterthought, nenothtu added "That disruption is grounds for arrest under the Military Code, and I believe you mentioned some paperwork you wanted to fill out concerning a termination. Go do it, please."

President Bransom began to look pensive. "You wouldn't really try to arrest me..."

"Try me, sweetie. Try me."

Without another word, Mary Bransom turned and left the bridge, taking her retinue with her.

Neno looked around, and for the first time noticed the planet looming on the main viewscreen "That looks like... what are we doing back here? What was Bransom in a tizzy about?"

Looking at Seeker, neno said "nice to see you up and about again, bud." not realizing it was but a holographic projection.

Looking all around the bridge, and not seeing Captain Luder anywhere around, neno innocently asked "Where's the boss?"

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

"Thank you Mr. Nenothtu, that woman is about as useful as a humpless Camel and less attractive, as for the "Boss" he has resigned and jumped ship about halfway here. In the process just before departing Captain Luder put Lieutenant Commander Asher in the hot seat, so we jumped here to ahh pick the Lieutenant Commander up, at least in a manner of speaking, given that his appearence here is courtesy of the hologram emitters." I said noting our Chief of Security looked like he'd spent a night in his own cells.

"We were just updating the Lieutenant Commander with the latest information, as little as we have, which reminds me, there are three recorders from the fixed cameras that covered the Maintenance hanger port, the main vent dump outlet and the aft fuel dock, I will have one of the engineering crews remove them and deliver the recorders to your office, they may give some insight into the attack on the station." I said as I tapped out a quick note to one of the "day" crews.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Rabbit had been explaining the situation to him just as the self-appointed President of the UEF waltzed onto the bridge looking every bit like a bottled up thunderstorm.

Then the rant that had followed had been a work of art, as if it were a polished and greatly treasured skill in Bransom's not-so-vast array of skills.

Asher listened casually as she blew off steam. His image on the flight deck reflected his amusement.

Finally Nenothtu had entered the bridge and put a quick stop to the politics at work. Neno was very skilled at such things. The poor man looked haggard and tired, but Asher was glad to see him up and about.

His image spoke:

"Good to see you Neno. As Rabbit says, it would seem that Luder has recently vacated the Penelope and made me Captain. I'm not sure if I can handle such a thing in my current state, but I will do what I can."

The image turned to Rabbit.

"Rabbit, you are hearby promoted to the rank of Lt. Commander. I will surely need your help on the bridge, just as surely as I will need Neno's help elsewhere. Inform Mr. Toodles that he has also received such a promotion.

"Lt. Com. Rabbit, the first thing I ask you to do is open coms with the nearby Yydryl. Be diplomatic and inviting. Make certain to inform them that there will be no more intrusions onto their vessel. Finally, inquire as to the status of a man named Studious. He is no end to trouble and offer to place him in the brig aboard the Penelope, where he can cause no more trouble aboard the Yydryl."

The image turned back to Neno.

"Neno, old friend, I need your help now more than ever. I need you to be my conscience. I'm less human now than I have ever been, unfortunately. Simple things tend to slip my mind. I need you to say your mind at all times.

"Before I forget, Neno, would you mind sending a squad down to the brig to retrieve the old man named Sorokov please? I would like to discuss some things with him on the bridge at earliest convenience."

The image turned its attention to the bridge crew.

"If there are any among you that are uncomfortable with the current situation, I expect you to speak up. There will be no repercussions for your opinion. I know that my story isn't the easiest to follow and my past actions have been somewhat extreme, but this ship needs you now more than ever.

"I will gladly step down as Captain at any time if it becomes a problem. You have my word on that. I will also return command of this vessel to Luder if he ever rejoins us from what would appear to be a personal quest. You have my word on that as well.

"We will get to the bottom of Earth's destruction. Those responsible will be held accountable for their actions. If we stay strong, we can secure the future of our species from further attacks by such foes.

"Look lively men and women, we have a job to do."

The bridge began to buzz with activity...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was surprised to hear that Luder had resigned as captain. Not too much though. That man had been through so much and I cannot blame him for needing to leave.

Now that we are with the Yydryl, maybe we can finally make some sense as to what had happened to the earth.

"Toodles to Profrabbit. My apologies for the tardiness, I am on my way to the bridge. Please inform Asher that I have some new information that both him and you might like to see"

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The image of Asher turned.

"Rabbit, you are hearby promoted to the rank of Lt. Commander. I will surely need your help on the bridge, just as surely as I will need Neno's help elsewhere. Inform Mr. Toodles that he has also received such a promotion."

"Yes Captain, and thank you, although I have avoided promotions where possible, however circumstances have changed and I will do my best, may I suggest Ms Craig takes the post of Chief Engineer, at least in my absence? she is highly capable, level headed and quick thinking."

"Lt. Com. Rabbit, the first thing I ask you to do is open comms with the nearby Yydryl. Be diplomatic and inviting. Make certain to inform them that there will be no more intrusions onto their vessel. Finally, inquire as to the status of a man named Studious. He is no end to trouble and offer to place him in the brig aboard the Penelope, where he can cause no more trouble aboard the Yydryl."

"Yes Sir", thinking, this will take some tact, my pupils called me "yardstick", straight as a laser, but diplomacy you learn dealing with inlaws and I've had a few of those.

Walking to the comms I key the ship to ship communications, "Yydryl this is the Penelope, Captain Asher is in command and wishes to assure you there will be no further intrusions to your ship from anyone on the Penelope, in addition one of our crew is apparently still aboard the Yydryl, a Mr Studious, I understand he is somewhat problematic, we would be happy to have Mr Studious returned to the Penelope if that is your wish. You can be assured he will be held in strict custody, however if you wish to incarcerate Mr Studious yourself for his crimes against yourself and your crew we do not object. Penelope out." precise yet tactful, I wonder if a sentient ship has inlaws?

My datapad chimes.
"Toodles to Profrabbit. My apologies for the tardiness, I am on my way to the bridge. Please inform Asher that I have some new information that both him and you might like to see"

Typing quickly on my screen I send a message to Mr Toodles " Certainly, btw Mr Toodles you have been promoted along with myself to the rank of Lt. Commander, congratulations :>"

Addressing Captain Asher I explain "Captain, Lt. Commander Toodles will be here in a few moments with some updated information, I have also informed him of his promotion Sir."

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Cim found Chumley after she left Silo and ask him to see if Deson had any technology to locate this nefarious allusive menace that she and Silo had experienced in the corridor.
Chumley been the gallant trooper he was said “Will do!”

“Chumley after you have checked SHIP for this possible saboteur, you and Deson meet us on the bridge. Oh and make sure that Silo does not have to carry that Studious character here.” Cim smiled and gave Chumley a buddy tap on the arm.

“You got it Officer Cim!” he said with a salute. Cim liked the humor.

When Cim reached the bridge there was an eerie sense of déjà vu, no one there and the com was flashing like some 20th century phone answering machine. Cim hit the button.

"Yydryl this is the Penelope, Captain Asher is in command and wishes to assure you there will be no further intrusions to your ship from anyone on the Penelope, in addition one of our crew is apparently still aboard the Yydryl, a Mr Studious, I understand he is somewhat problematic, we would be happy to have Mr Studious returned to the Penelope if that is your wish. You can be assured he will be held in strict custody, however if you wish to incarcerate Mr Studious yourself for his crimes against yourself and your crew we do not object. Penelope out."

Cim tapped her fingers on the control panel. “What are these U Mans up to? Where is that handsome Captain Luder and who is Asher?” She was a bit perturbed by the occupants of their vessel, but also she was wary of speaking for the others.

“What to do, what to say? Hmm….” Still in her human form, she reponded with visual of herself.

“This is The Yydryl, Officer Mars speaking. Last time you were here, in this neck of space, causing problems for our SHIP, before you scampered away, before the Earth was destroyed, your captain was a dashing man called Luder, where is he? Who is Asher and why is he now captain? Are you here just to pick up Studious because you think he might be a nuisance, or is there something else you want? When my crew gets up here with Studious I am sure we have a few more dozen questions? So, please respond with these answers before we turn and leave. Yydryl out!”

Cim really did not like to be so hostile to humans, as she really cared for them,
But this bunch had been a pain in their bio-genetic bums.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8ac0ded4974.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

‘What did you say!’ Slapping my head and turning back to the droid I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

‘He’s not there.’ The guard droid stationed outside the Ambassadors suit responded stoically and waited patiently, as only droids can, for new orders.

‘Find him. NOW! And this time don’t let him out of your sight! If you have to restrain him, DO IT! I want him on the bridge ASAP! GO!

Taking a deep breath I rubbed my face and entered the quarters assigned to the U-Man Studious.

Nothing.

Not a trace he’d even been there.

Not a piece of food missing from the tray, the wine and water hadn’t been touched.
It was like he walked into the room and turned and walked right back out again.
Which is exactly what he’d probably done.

Sniffing the wine I took a small sip holding the drink in my mouth.

Nope, no poison, noting, just sweet white wine.

Draining the cup I stopped my hand before throwing the goblet against the wall.

I knew I was wrong the minute I let the U-Man out of my sight.

‘Ship? You there?’ I yelled, frustrated and infuriated Ship was in her on-again off-again mode of responding to my pleas.
If anyone knew where Studious was, Ship did, and I needed her to tell me, now.

Ship didn’t respond.

Storming from the room I punched Ship’s intercom with a accusatory stab.

‘ATS Silo to the Bridge. Cim, post a Ship red-alert for the U-Man Studious. He’s gone missing. I’m going to check his escape pod at the Armory, then I’ll check Ship’s Center. I’ll report to the bridge immediately after. ATS Silo out.’

Breaking into a ground eating trot I headed for the Armory fingering my knives at my hip as I ran.
I liked their feel, I wish I’d had time to practice with them, but I had not, and I needed a weapon.
One I wouldn’t miss with.

While in the Armory I’d pick up a Deson special before going ahead to check Ship’s Center.

I wasn’t about to go in there again, and alone, unarmed.

Not until all this foolishness aboard the Yydryl was worked out.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

“This is The Yydryl, Officer Mars speaking. Last time you were here, in this neck of space, causing problems for our SHIP, before you scampered away, before the Earth was destroyed, your captain was a dashing man called Luder, where is he? Who is Asher and why is he now captain? Are you here just to pick up Studious because you think he might be a nuisance, or is there something else you want? When my crew gets up here with Studious I am sure we have a few more dozen questions? So, please respond with these answers before we turn and leave. Yydryl out!”

Well I guessed this was not going to be simple "Officer Mars, former Captain Luder is now searching for his son, Lt. Commander Asher was promoted by Captain Luder and is resident within the quantum stream, in fact Captain Asher has been residing with Yydryl, we returned to request Lt. Commander Asher to take his place on the bridge, as for Mr Studious I do not know the man, I joined this ship after the massacre on Earth, I am passing Yydryl options as to what to do with Mr Studious, we will take him back if that is your wish, however given the grief he has given you we would understand if you wished to incarcerate him yourself. Lastly you are on a sentient ship, perhaps you may wish to ask Yydryl is "she" wants to turn and leave, Penelope out."

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

‘I don’t know how it happened! I just don’t! I nearly screamed at Deson before I caught myself, took a deep breath then allowed my words to tumble out without yelling.

With a glint in his eye letting me know he appreciated me reigning in my temper Deson shot me a nod to continue as he listened intently, his body changing subtly, tensing as I related the incident.

‘Deson, he was right there in front of my eyes. Right where he should be in the Ambassador suite.’

‘And?’ Deson egged me on, one ear cocked forward following my pacing up and down in front of his work bench where his hands never stilled from fitting the pieces of a pistol type grip to a long barrel.

‘And? We felt something.’ I concluded, blushing a bit feeling more than foolish at my choice of words.

‘You ‘felt’ something?’ Deson didn’t meet my eyes but now his ears were both at full attention, the edge to his words warning me something was amiss, greatly amiss.

‘Yeah, we felt something. Both of us. It was, well, I don't know what it was, but that isn’t the point. The point is he was there, standing right there in front of me.’ I tossed my hands up in the air and let them fall against my hips with a slap.

‘Annndd...’ Deson asked, again, with a bite this time. Even he had his limits.

‘He said he needed a moment and shut the door. I waited a few moments but he never came out. When I forced the door open, he was gone.’

‘Gone?’ This time Deson’s eyes did meet mine and it wasn’t an expression of concern I saw pass over his face, it was something even worse.

Fear.

‘So he was there, and then he wasn’t?’ Deson’s hands stopped working the metal under his fingers.

‘Yes, that’s what I said!’ I didn’t blink or breath as I watched a horrible transformation come over Deson as he reacted to my words.

The Armor’s nose flared and his eyes narrowed to take on a glint like diamonds were splitting behind his irises.
A terrible grimace flattened his lips tight against teeth he ground together before he answered.

‘Take this.’ Deson forced the weapon into my hands. ’Now go! Get to the bridge, I‘ll follow you as soon as I can - GO!’

Deson reached for his own weapon and tossed his chin for me to leave.

‘But Deson, what? What’s going on?’ My hands grew clammy around the stock of the gun, my finger flexing beside the trigger warming to the event.

‘Think Silo! Did he have his cane?‘ He asked and slapped a handful of extra energy clips into my hands the force making me flinch.

‘What?‘ I grimaced truly frightened now.

‘Silo. Did The U-Man You Saw In The Door Have His Cane?‘ Deson roared, spittle flying.

The horror of the situation dawned on me and my mouth fell open.

I didn’t have to answer. I knew.

‘Right! You didn’t see Studious. You saw the ShapeShifter! NOW GO!‘

The bottom of my stomach felt hollow against my spine and tears of frustration sprang to my eyes.

I had to get to Cim.

She as on the bridge, and for all I knew now, she wasn’t alone.

Running down the hall at full tilt, jamming an energy clip into the pistol I clicked off the safety and set the weapon to it’s highest level.

If I had a chance to shoot, and I suddenly hoped I did, I’d shoot to kill.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

“Well I guessed this was not going to be simple "Officer Mars, former Captain Luder is now searching for his son, Lt. Commander Asher was promoted by Captain Luder and is resident within the quantum stream, in fact Captain Asher has been residing with Yydryl, we returned to request Lt. Commander Asher to take his place on the bridge, as for Mr Studious I do not know the man, I joined this ship after the massacre on Earth, I am passing Yydryl options as to what to do with Mr Studious, we will take him back if that is your wish, however given the grief he has given you we would understand if you wished to incarcerate him yourself. Lastly you are on a sentient ship, perhaps you may wish to ask Yydryl is "she" wants to turn and leave, Penelope out."

Cim is slightly taken aback by the audacious reply from the Earth ship that had done nothing but harm to our friend the Yydryl, but this guy was new and had just lost his home forever, so…..she would give him a break.

“SHIP! It’s Cim, I know you received the message from the Penelope, would you like to speak to them yourself?” Cim waited, there was no response. “SHIP, come on!

A soft deep female voice resonated from the speakers and sent a vibration through out her entirety. “No, Cim you are welcome to speak for me, you know this!”

“Yes, SHIP, I know and thank you. However I think it would be good for you to speak, to express yourself, it was kind of cool that this Officer Rabbit recognized your sentience, don’t you think?” Cim was anxiously waiting to hear SHIP’s response.

Time passed Cim loved SHIP but was not crazy about floating around in space, she preferred dry land and specifically Earth. Lost in a day dream of other times and places,
Cim almost feel off the seat when SHIP spoke.

“Ok Cim, I will address them.” SHIP sounded confident. Cim was really curious now.

“You ready? Should I hail them?” Cim ask.

“I can do it, but yes, please. That way we are working together.” SHIP says.

“I will introduce you. You deserve it.” She hailed the Penelope.
“Penelope this is once again Officer Mars, I have spoken with SHIP as you suggested,
she would like to speak with you directly.”

“Penelope this is Yydryl. I know Captain Asher and I request he return to speak with me and my crew. There is much to do, is there not? We have a saboteur aboard and so it can be dangerous. Asher as is not corporeal, so should be safe. I have some ideas that I think may be of interest and benefit to your vessel. Thank you for the acknowledgment. SHIP out.”

“That was fantastic SHIP! You are right diplomat. I hope to hear a lot more of you.
I wish that I could hug you.” Says Cim

“Maybe you can.” Replied SHIP

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dbc5b9ca0e8f.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 14-9-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I walked up onto the command center almost happily. Talk about a rough last few days though. I was still almost sad that Luder was gone but happy to be a Commander on board the Penelope now.

"Profrabbit. I apologize for the tardiness and thank you for informing me of the promotion. We have made progress as to the location of the nearest inhabited world that might be populated by the Synthetic species".

I turned back to my station and began some diagnostics. We just finished our first worm hole jump since the battle near earth and wanted to make sure that our Previous engineer had done as good a Job as he said he had. I trusted Slayer no doubt but hell...Nothing better to do while Asher is out and about.

"Science lab to Toodles. Looks like the previous quantum streaming error has resurfaced. I believe it had something to do with the wormhole travel".

"Alright. Isolate the processor and don't allow it to jump". I said. "Toodles to engineering. I want another team to get down to the processing core and work out this quantum streaming error again. Make sure it does not come back".

I looked over to Rabbit. "I know, I know. It's your team and all. But you seem to be busy with other things. Hope you don't mind".

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The Green Man amulet bounced rhythmically against my chest as I jogged for the bridge.

I wondered, and not for the first time, why Ship had given me the amulet, and as if it answered my thoughts it began to hum and grow warm, calling me to Ship’s Center.

I had to make a choice, and the choice was easy.

I kept running for the bridge.

Ships Attendant or not, there was a very real threat aboard Ship and for all I knew it, whatever ‘it’ was, might be headed right for CindyMars who was waiting for me on the bridge.

I tried yelling for Ship, but got no response.

Ship’s communication with me had been so hit and miss the last few days it didn’t surprise me the only sound that followed me down the corridor now was the echo of an unanswered call.

Rounding the last bend to the bridge I nodded at the huge form of Chumley lumbering towards me from the opposite direction.
Without the need for words we fell into step and I was relieved to see Chumley’s weapon was raised and at the ready.
Whatever we were going to find ahead, we’d be ready.

Bursting onto the bridge weapons flashing, spinning in half circles our backs to each other Chumley and I moved like a well oiled machine.

He scanned left, I scanned right expecting the worst, but everything was as it should be.
The bridge was clear, no threat, nothing out of place.
Stepping farther into the Command Center I shrugged at the huge Regallian guard who answered me by waggling his chin from side to side in a sign I read to mean we could relax.

CindyMars stood bent over a communications console looking calm as ever, her eyes rose to meet mine in a silent question.

Motioning to Chumley to guard the door I lowered my weapon, my fingers tingling with the after effects of an adrenaline rush.

‘Cim! We thought maybe you were in some trouble up here. The U-Man Studious, he's gone...’ I finished as I trotted up to her side.

‘Again?’ She barked, a cold fury forming behind her eyes.

‘Again.’ I nodded and let my breath out in a rush of frustration.

‘That’s it!’ Cim bent back over the communications console stabbing at the controls with barely restrained fury.

‘What?’ I inched closer but kept my antenna sweeping the bridge for anything unusual.

‘Ship and I just finished a communications to the Penelope, but they've yet to respond. Which suits me just fine!‘ Continuing to punch in codes I waited for her to continue. ‘So... Now we’re going to just...add a sentence or two to that last transmission, before they get a chance too!’

‘What’re you going to say?’ I asked, the hairs on the back of my neck began to prickle in expectation.

‘Stand back and hear this...’ Cim growled and waited for the communications center to give her the go light, bent over the microphone and began...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The entrance of Silo and Chumley on to the bridge, reminded Cim of a 20th century Earth television show about police detectives, called “Miami Vice.”

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0142c9804ddd.jpg[/atsimg]

Quickly the humor faded, once Silo informed her that Studious was not where he should be, therefore roaming about their vessel.

Cim hailed the Penelope who still had not replied, she wondered if their communications were down.

“Penelope this is Officer Mars. The U man Studious has gone missing aboard our ship, we would really appreciate it if you send someone to locate and retrieve him. Also as she expressed in her communiqué, SHIP would like to meet with your Captain Seeker. I think it would be mutually beneficial. I for one was and am, very fond of your planet Earth. I have spent a great deal of time there, probably more than many of you, so we, or at least I, want to stop the Ophiuchi as well. We hope to hear from you soon. Mars out!”

She turns to Silo and Chumley, “Well what now? Should we play some checkers, maybe go find whatever that creepy shadowy thing is, or sit and wait for a response?”

“Checkers, that game with all the squares?” Silo says in jest. “No, let’s go shoot something!”

“Easy there, Rico and Crockett, what you planning on shooting?” Cim ask.

“Ok, who are Rico and Crockett? I am mad as hell, I am so tired of this subterfuge going on around here, and maybe it’s time to take some action!” Silo is red in the face all the way up to her antennae.

“Yes, I know but don’t be impulsive. Sit and I will tell you all about “Miami Vice” from the late 80’s on Earth. Hey we will go there and dress like Madonna!” says Cim all excited.

“You mean the “Like a Virgin”, “Material Girl” chick! No, stop trying to distract me from killing!” Silo says but with humor. “Fine, I will wait a bit, then some shooting!”

“Whose Madonna?” ask Chumley

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bee4241be33.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 23-9-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
"This is Mr. Toodles of the Penelope to the Yydryl" I said while I was holding down the comm button. "I am requesting access to Yydryls main computer core. I have information regarding the assailants who destroyed the earth. I would like to cross check our data with yours and upload any new data we may have. I would also like to inform the Yydryl that Seeker has been in contact with Ship. He is currently in command of this Vessel and resides on the quantum 5th dimension. Which is why he has access to Ship and his/her quantum systems. "

I awaited a response.

While rabbit and Seeker were dealing with the details, I decided to take another look at the quantum error. I had assumed we corrected it the first time.

I got to engineering and immediately received a status report. Quantum logics error, from unknown source. Error code 000. Nonrecursive alghorithm

"Nonrecursive" I said outloud. "That means the error is coming from more than one source. nonrecursive means that the error is jumping from source to source inside the 000 error".

"Listen up everyone! We may have intruders getting into our computers. If seeker can exist on the quantum 5th dimension then we can assume someone else has the technology. Take all quantum systems offline. I repeat, take ALL quantum systems offline. We may have hackers in our systems".

I hit the nearest comm panel "Toodles to command center. Profrabbit, we have a problem. The error is back but it is nonrecursive. It is jumping from source to source. We may have an intruder in our systems. Please inform Seeker that all quantum systems are going offline in approximately 10 minutes. He will have to contact us with further orders from the Yydryl".

[edit on 28-9-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join