It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by mf_luder
The USS Penelope.
[Color=orange]All hands prepare for immediate departure. Engine room, spin up the drives. Helm, lay in a direct course for Alpha Centauri.
[edit on 18-3-2009 by mf_luder]
[edit on 19-3-2009 by mf_luder]
Originally posted by Studious.
A message from Admiral James Gordon:
To: Captain mf_luder
Studious is a fine officer but he has an insubordinate streak. Not that he’s a ruffian or a thug, but he just will not follow orders when he feels they conflict with his concept of honor. He just does not understand that orders must be followed. He’s the most disciplined man I have ever had the pleasure of commanding but he is a headache to give orders to. His men admire him, not because they’re friends with him, but for the compassion he shows them. It’s odd, he seems so simple to understand. So rigid, seemingly so predictable. But, In fact few people really know him.
Even his Personnel file is a little lacking in personal information and if you ask him about it he’ll probably tell you nothing. He even looks older than his record states. Already some say his hair is graying. Though it’s probably because of the weight of command. It weighs more heavily on him then the rest of us. His military record is exemplary. Every order, that he choose to follow, was completed meticulously but yet seemingly effortlessly. He has been passed over for promotion time and time again because of his insubordination. He is effective but my colleagues cannot see past his disobedient behavior.
Your probably wondering why I would even assign such a person to your command. After all he does not respect the chain of command, he’s an enigma and he’s not one you can easily have a drink with. Well, on a mission like this, a search mission, methodical tactics may just bring our people home.
Originally posted by Skyfloating
There's been a suicide. Apparently someone decided to blow his brains out, before the enemy does or that this ship is a particularly good place to splatter ones brains all over the wall.
Vagueness of a particular objective. That, amongst other concerns, was the cause of the foul mood.
A mission? A mission to install a mission? What? A Captain–whom we shall call 'Cadbury'–knew
not, as his final preparations were undertaken to undock from the Regellian out base in Orion's
Nebula and depart aboard the Yydryl. A new crew awaited, encased safely inside the hull of this
newly constructed and more than sufficiently armed and manoeuvrable ship of the line. A
predominantly Regellian ship of the vast, expansionary Orion Alliance... it would also have speed.
“Such short notice...”
And words equatable only in part to 'Swine' or 'Bastard' were muttered through sharp fang in the
general direction of a Supreme Commander, despite its non-presence.
A short while ago in most perceptions of the passing of “time,” it had been threatened by
Commander Zogby-Poll that Captain Cadbury be eaten by creatures of a larger and more predatory
size than he, for the near ruination of certain diplomatic relations in and around the vicinity of
Betelgeuse during an unauthorised excursion to there. For the mission that now lay ahead, it had
been mandated clearly to not make such detours again, or suffer directly the consequences of
“Why, I ought to sodding well abrogate! Casus Belli! I ought to f...” his communicator cut him
off mid-sentence with sounds, reporting to him of a tragedy aboard the Yydryl. New crew members
already aboard, Spec-Ops technician Whisper67, Empathic Chief Medical Officer Antar, and
Navigation Officer Sky(floating) have discovered the body of their Communications Officer, who
has apparently zapped himself in the cranial mass. “What? Another suicide? Are you sure?” It
would be the 27,000th reported across the Orion Alliance in the spacing of one Regellian
“Yes, Captain. He's evaporated himself with a standard issue Hyper-Vortex Proton Disintegrator
in a small library in his quarters. There is not much of a remainder for Antar to autopsy, but the
general consensus among us so far is that this is a suicide. We're almost certain that it is.” informed
Skyfloating. “He was the first on board and we have not been able to find a trace of any assailant
through any available detection apparatus, only traces Visible_Villain left before he took his own
life.” Sky's accent was carefully attenuated so the 70% Regellian Captain could properly understand
his dialect, which was similar in nature but also very different at times.
“Thank you. I trust your judgement. Hold all non-crucial investigation until the rest of the crew
is aboard. I'll be joining you all shortly.”
Would the death of a crewman before even undocking cause to further ill-omen this already far
too egregious mission? he wondered to himself. And then he wandered back to his original
“You've been assigned a new crew since most of your last were eaten as punishment for your
own mistakes. Prepare. Board. Undock, then await further instruction” is all command had told him.
But they forgot to say “And brace yourselves!”
Weapon System Technical Data:
- High-Intensity Proton Demolisher - A large scale weapon based on the technology found in standard issue Proton Disintegrator pistols. Fires highly concentrated bursts of energy that seek out the co-ordinates of programmed target. Once contact is made the concentrated energy is released causing overstimulation of protons to the point that they burst. Has a large area of effect. Can fire 1 round every 30 seconds due to charging cooldown times.
- Thorn Charges - 2000 Yggdrasil Pods have been grown on the Yddril. These pods produce balls of corrosive acid that are discharged from the pod at the speed of sound. Pods self supply and will store 10 charges. After impact the charges splatter, depositing a highly corrosive acid on anything in the vicinity.
- Pinpoint Annihilator - Mainly used for attacking small targets. The annihilator launches a cluster of 3 homing missiles that will follow the target until they or the target are destroyed.
- The Yddryl was formed from a plant species native to Rigel. The particular species itself is vine-like. The tendrils of the ship will grab, entangle, and crush any vessels within their reach. These cannot be controlled.
- "Galactichip" readers are positioned around every doorway on the Yddril. Any being who passes throught the readers without a chip present in their body will be targetted by the ship's interior tentacles and crew will be alerted.
- The plant species that forms the Yddryl has been genetically modified in many ways. The "skin" of the ship has been altered so that its density is 3 times that of diamond. This makes the ship's body near indestructible.
- The ship is equipped with a repellent magnetic field that can be activated to stop metal projectiles fired at the ship.
- The ship is made of organic material and is thus vulnerable to combustion. However, with a lack of oxygen in most areas of the universe the risk of fire is minimal.
Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
reply to post by mf_luder
"Formal Query, Captain. I have reviewed the weapon load outs aboard the vessel. They are very extensive. Is combat anticipated?"