It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B.C. court case has potential to make Google, Yahoo illegal in Canada

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You are wrong, that is not illegal.
If you rent dvds from the shop, and have friends over.
It is considered PRIVATE.
Look at the copyright laws, it says PUBLIC exhibition.
Imagine that, needing people to pay to come to your private party, because you are listening to music.
The argument isn't about this, the argument is that they are trying to say the internet is public.
Due to torrent sites being available to the public.
However if you go on instant messenger with your friend, and download a movie off him.
Its not available to the public, is it?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

The new warning I have seen the word PUBLIC has been removed. I may be right on this or you may be right on this, I do not know for sure but I would not push my luck. If it is not illegal yet it may be before mess is over with.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

A guy in CA received a download of 9 tracks from Guns-n-Roses unreleased recording. He puts it on his site and it is downladed by others about 1,300 times. Others download from them.

The CA guy is going to prison. He won't know for long intil the feds total up "lost revenue."

It's happening right now.

The point is, media corp. can't make any money the traditional way and they don't want you to download anything they could have sold. As long as they make a show of trying to sell in stores or through 'fee' downloads (copy-protected, of course), they will continue to fight to limit internet access to their "products."

jw

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think it's obvious we are already slaves to the internet and subject to all restrictions they put on it - I believe it's a plan anyway to do this (get us all hooked and then cut us off).

There are no longer paper phone books in the local public library - it's all "online" and when they restrict, and especially censor, the internet we will be without all this current online freedom.

I think everyone should be printing hard copies and CD's/DVD's of anything of value from the internet now anyway. I have been acquiring paper books as well as printing online books while I am able to afford the print and paper because they won't be there forever and once they're gone, then what?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kshaund

Excellent point!

People have called me a 'dinosaur' because I insist on discs or "hard copies" of everything worth downoading (there isn't that much, when you think about it).

Untill another Gates or Woz comes along and creates a better network, we will be enslaved to the internet.

I believe alternatives will arrive or evolve, so I'm not as hopeless.

But, just in case, save it.

jw

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is like banning streets because you can find drugs on them and prostitutes...

Come on people.... let's get real...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Although this hasn't got much press coverage, it won't take long for someone to try similar tactics in the US.

Remember the "internet bully" conviction last year?

And the ACTA Treaty, terms of which Obama has declared "a national security" secret and exempt from disclosure?

Are we seeing a piecemeal diminution of our 1st Amendment freedoms and restriction of the 'net?

Deny ignorance.
jw

Any Canadians here? Try this search engine, it is a good one, and does not place a 5 year cookie like Google does. clusty.com...
Google now own Yahoo, and it is widely known that Google reports to the NSA. So do yourself a favor, and use a different search engine. Clusty gathers "clusters" that show results, and is much better that the others ever was. Been using it myself for years now.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
yeah it's not long before the US, Australia, the EU, etc... it's all on-going. Those riaa guys are bloody persistant. But if i were in the music of movie biz i would too. But not to that extent. Bloody ridiculous....

Give the customer what they want and they will come. Even if they have to pay. Just like STEAM for videogames. If they can do it for music or movies just like steam then sure....

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Sometime this year, the ACTA Treaty limiting internet access will be presented in the US for ratification by our Senate.

As of now, the President is refusing to disclose its contents under the guise of "National Security" secrets.

Makes you wonder what they are hiding, no?

jw

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join