It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Received a $101,332 Bonus from AIG

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have heard that AIG does the house and senate pension plans or the pension plans goes throu them so maybe that is a reason for helping them.Just a thought but then again i could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My God!!!

ANY chance to bash the man isn't going to be lost!

ALL within the first 100 days?

I thought ATS denied ignorance......well.....

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
And we are surprised about this because? Seriously..... did any of you really believe any of the BS Obama spewed during the election?

Whats that???

You did????

Silly people.

Mussolini had a phrase for people that believe blindly in political "leaders".....

"Useful Idiots".

The great Savior strikes again

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Apparently this entire AIG bailout is nothing but payback for the campaign contributions.

Yeh sorry, but how is 170 odd billion a payback for 101k?

I do not see any consipiracy or any foul play either tbh.

[edit on 18/3/2009 by Kliskey]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ah Gawd that's a drop in the bucket to waste - I don't give a flip about who AIG donated their political backing.

What gets me is listening to the congressional hearings today on AIG.

It suddenly dawned on me how close this free market is to sounding like Hilter.
How could I make a statement like this. When you hear a few of the congressman say that the government owns 80% with plans to sue or take over control ... I'm dumb struck.

I'm not opposed to making laws to prevent this from happening IE The glass-stiegel act (sp) but I sure don't want the government socializing business.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth
The great Savior strikes again

And this post my fellow ATS members is why posting sensational titles work.

Many people won't even the read the article, and the majority of people won't actually check if the information therein is correct.

On the evening of September 16, 2008, the Federal Reserve Bank's Board of Governors announced that the Federal Reserve Bank of New York had been authorized to create a 24-month credit-liquidity facility from which AIG may draw up to $85 billion. ...

An additional $37.8 billion loan was extended in October. As of October 24, AIG has drawn a total of $90.3 billion from the emergency loan, of a total $122.8 billion. ...

On November 10, 2008, the U.S. Treasury announced it would purchase $40 billion in newly issued AIG senior preferred stock, under the authority of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act's Troubled Asset Relief Program. source

Is Obama to blame for the travesty of the bailout? Yes, he does have some blame just as any other Senator and Congressman who went along with these shenanigans, but to claim that he is the sole culprit is incorrect.

And the claim that Obama, because he received contributions from AIG, wanted to save AIG while letting other institutions fail is not only completely unfounded but historically incorrect, as it was Paulson and Bernanke, two Bush appointees mind you, who made those decisions in September.

Deny Ignorance? Yeah right...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

And Obama was so upset about others getting millions in bonuses. HE WANTED MORE! He got the redheaded step child's share. LOL

He was just so convincing when he talked about holding those accountable and creating justice. Oh the corruption!
But I am not surprised as this is of course politics IS IT NOT?

[edit on 18-3-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. The taxpayers are the cats and the corporations and the politicians are the ones doing the skinning. That is what happens when disreputable individuals are given an enormous amount of power and are not held accountable for their actions.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Funny to me how AIG had the money to be throwing around to all these corrupt, barrel assed politicians when they knew they were going down. Guess they knew to buy the government before it was realized that all their money was fake. It paid off for them I guess, as soon as this F-ING circus surrounding these bonuses subsides, and they trick us into thinking they gave the bonuses back, we'll feel vindicated and turn the channel back to "dancing with the stars". Then the government will give the AIG execs the money back through another channel with a thank you for pretending to give it back, and they'll all laugh and sip cocktails, telling jokes about how easy it is to fool their cattle.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Its not the first time big corporations have contributed to their candidates of favor.

Same has happend on the Republican side.

Cheers!!!!

Yes and both sides are equally to blame for the situation this country is in.

Are you trying to defend democrats? The fact is though, a DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT has been elected and it is going to be in the spotlight now.

Both sides suck though.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdchop
And even Sent. Dodd knew about it - why do you think HE put the provision in the bail out. Cause he knew he was a recipient of the money and with the way it was written; the people who got the money from "Bonuses" would not be touched. Or so he thought.. Now look where he is - He is back tracking trying the fight this

In all fairness, it appears that Sen. Dodd was actually doing the opposite of what is being claimed.

Dodd appeared on CNN today and said it was Treasury officials who insisted on weakening bonuses provisions (source).

According to Glenn Greenwald at salon.com

That is simply not what happened. What actually happened is the opposite. It was Dodd who did everything possible -- including writing and advocating for an amendment -- which would have applied the limitations on executive compensation to all bailout-receiving firms, including AIG, and applied it to all future bonus payments without regard to when those payments were promised. But it was Tim Geithner and Larry Summers who openly criticized Dodd's proposal at the time and insisted that those limitations should apply only to future compensation contracts, not ones that already existed.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Sorry if I missed someone else posting this.

The other troubling thing about the AIG bailout is that AIG runs the (democrat-controlled) congress's pension fund.

So you see? The democrat-controlled congress HAD to bail out AIG.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hdchop

We are talking about a hundred thousand dollars. People do not climb that ugly ladder of their political careers to help a company for a hundred thousand dollars. It is silly. Then to turn around, let the company have bonuses, ridicule them, and threaten to give it back.

it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Bottom line: Congress and the President are totally responsible for this crap, period. Congress for voting for this piece of garbage they call a bailout and the President for signing it. This is why the Government has no business getting involved with the free market system.

Congress knew this provision for the bonuses was in the bill.......Oh wait, they rushed it through Congress and most did not even read the bill, by their own admission.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Its not the first time big corporations have contributed to their candidates of favor.

Same has happend on the Republican side.

Cheers!!!!

I guess you forgot about the huge amount of money given to AIG in the form of a bailout in order to prevent them from failing while ignoring other institutions. You seemed to have glossed over that point.

I suppose you forgot about the huge amount of monies funneld through Haliburton and Enron to the Republicans that were in power for the last 8 years..you know, the ones that started a war over false premises and lies and lined up contract after contract to companies those leaders had stock in.

And those monies continue to flow to those stock holders who were once in power...remember..we are still stuck in that war they created...and will be for the next 3 years or more...and the first installment on the tab has yet to even come in.

Just glossed over that point I suppose...dispite it was happening over a span of 8 years compared to the 4 months of the current admin.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-3-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Bottom line: Congress and the President are totally responsible for this crap, period.

Didn't you forget an 's' in President?

That would be a statement I could more easily agree with.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge

Originally posted by hdchop
And even Sent. Dodd knew about it - why do you think HE put the provision in the bail out. Cause he knew he was a recipient of the money and with the way it was written; the people who got the money from "Bonuses" would not be touched. Or so he thought.. Now look where he is - He is back tracking trying the fight this

In all fairness, it appears that Sen. Dodd was actually doing the opposite of what is being claimed.

Dodd appeared on CNN today and said it was Treasury officials who insisted on weakening bonuses provisions (source).

According to Glenn Greenwald at salon.com

That is simply not what happened. What actually happened is the opposite. It was Dodd who did everything possible -- including writing and advocating for an amendment -- which would have applied the limitations on executive compensation to all bailout-receiving firms, including AIG, and applied it to all future bonus payments without regard to when those payments were promised. But it was Tim Geithner and Larry Summers who openly criticized Dodd's proposal at the time and insisted that those limitations should apply only to future compensation contracts, not ones that already existed.

Just because the man said it you are going to believe it?

He isn't the most popular man in D.C. right now, don't you think he might be trying to shift the blame on someone else?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Someone should send this to FOXNEWS. They would love this kind of material.

I've said it before I'll say it again...

Anyone who has the money to run for President is already corrupt, so what's the point in voting other than minor details?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I suppose you forgot about the huge amount of monies funneld through Haliburton and Enron to the Republicans that were in power for the last 8 years..you know, the ones that started a war over false premises and lies and lined up contract after contract to companies those leaders had stock in.

For starters, that is your ridiculous assuption about the war.

Second, are you saying because in your mind there was corruption during the Bush years that it is ok for Obama to do the same thing? Is this what you are saying? If not, then bringing up the past is moot and has no bearing given that the Dem's control everything.

Instead of putting blame with this current administration, you are bringing up moot points from the past. Silly liberals trying to deflect blame. Funny.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge
Didn't you forget an 's' in President?

No, I didn't.
What other President signed this current bill which allowed for the bonuses?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join