It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toyota issues safety recall on Yaris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As an owner of a 2007 model Yaris, I can honestly say I love it. It gets the best gas mileage of ANY non-hybrid vehicle on the market, and even better mileage than some hybrids. This is the second Toyota I've bought over the years, with no complaints whatsoever. I've never heard of a Toyota recall.

So here's the kooky thing about this. I got this "recall" letter yesterday. Being one that is wired to pick up things that just don't "ring true", my red flag instantly went up.

First of all, the safety recall has to do with the seatbelt. When the car is in a sudden impact, the belts will automatically tighten and restrain the passenger, allowing the airbags to deploy without injuring them. Apparently there is a gas of some sort that is emitted from the seatbelt mechanism that COULD ignite nearby insulating foam containing poyurethane, causing a secondary hazard in the form of a post-collision fire. Sounds pretty scary, right? Well, there have been no cases of this actually happening within the US, yet they are issueing recalls on over 130,000 Yaris vehicles from 2006-2007. I've searched, and there seems to be no cases of this in Europe either, yet they are recalling it there as well.

I find this rather odd. Perhaps I'm reading more into it, but considering that they don't allow you to watch what is being done to the vehicle, I'm a little skeptical of what this is really about. Usually, recalls happen AFTER deaths and injuries have occurred from a known source. Why would a company, whose sales have been dramatically affected by the economy worldwide, OFFER a recall BEFORE something happens? I'd like to think they are just an honest company who really cares about human life, but let's face it....how many corporations are really doing that these days? Perhaps I'm a little jaded with all the corporate greed going on, but I find it hard to believe that this is about a seatbelt and some foam.

I also find it rather odd that they are recalling a vehicle with the best non-hybrid MPG on the market. My radar is going off with this one. Any ideas here?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by emeraldzeus

Toyota to recall over 1 million cars worldwide
The fear of ..... Lawsuits

I saw this on a News program here in "Europa" , the car dealer was stressing how simple a procedure it was to change out the gas can effected.

The link i provided is msnbc.

I agree , a Toyota recall is a rarity indeed . And to think people scoffed at the idea of cars being made by the Japanese .

Edit; to add lawsuits comment.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I own a 2007 Yaris as well, and I heard about this here in Australia a few weeks ago, but I've yet to receive my letter. I don't really see a conspiracy in it, but it is a hassle nonetheless. My old Toyotoa Echo was recalled a few years ago for something, and they fixed it free, but of course I was without a car for the better part of a day.

Given the tough economic times right now, it's hard to determine which would be worse - recalling all those cars and avoiding very expensive accidents due to negligence, or letting things play out as they may, saving their money and hoping no one dies. If Toyota had to deal with a recall now due to deaths, and they were found to have had prior knowledge of the fault, that would spell disaster for the company. I think they were just dealt two bad financial options that are especially bad now.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Just because nothing has happened yet, they know it COULD, therefore, the manufacturer will take preventative measures.

There is nothing strange about this. Call your dealer and set up an appointment to have the recall performed, or for more info, call Toyota at Phone: 800-331-4331, Fax: 310-468-7814, Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST,

www.automallusa.net...

2007 Toyota Yaris Recalls
2007 TOYOTA YARIS Recall ID from NHTSA: 09V031000
Auto Recall Date: JAN 29, 2009
Vehicle Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:RETRACTOR
Model Affected YARIS
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 134895 Recall Details

Auto Recall Date: JAN 29, 2009

Vehicle Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:RETRACTOR
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 134895
Model Affected
2007 TOYOTA YARIS

2007 Toyota Yaris Defect Summary:
TOYOTA IS RECALLING 134,895 MY 2006-2007 YARIS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT PRETENSIONERS, WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO BE ACTIVATED IN RESPONSE TO A SEVERE FRONTAL IMPACT. WHEN THE SENSOR DETECTS A SEVERE FRONTAL IMPACT, THE FRONT SEAT BELTS ARE QUICKLY DRAWN BACK BY THE RETRACTORS SO THAT THE BELTS SNUGLY RESTRAIN THE OCCUPANTS. THE INVOLVED VEHICLES CONTAIN A CENTER PILLAR SOUND INSULATOR LOCATED UNDERNEATH EACH FRONT SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER.

Defect Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER DEPLOYMENT, THE GAS GENERATED MAY AFFECT THE SOUND INSULATORS. IN THE WORST CASE, IF THE SOUND INSULATORS IGNITE, THIS CONDITION WILL RESULT IN A POST-COLLISION FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE VEHICLE FREE OF CHARGE. THE MODIFICATION WILL ENTAIL REMOVAL OF THE SMALL URETHANE CENTER PILLAR SOUND INSULATORS (SPONGE) UNDERNEATH THE DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT PRETENSIONERS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-888-270-9371.

Estimated Vehicles Affected: 134895

Notes: TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. 90C

The seatbelts have what they call pretensioners in them and they do what you said, restrain the person when the airbag deploys. These should be replaced any time the vehicle is in a collision in which the airbags deploy. It is a safety feature. I work for another manufacturer in parts and service, and this type of recall is not uncommon. Just get the recall done at your earliest convenience as it is a safety issue.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think you should be happy a recall has been declared.. I would be - not that I ever buy a new vehicle! But if I did I would like that.

Put it like this - the technology in the cars devolops - and sometimes the push to get cars off the production line is too much... It really has to be responsible vs profitable - something the Japanese do do very well (contrast that to the Chinese
). And allso testing of things like gasses is constantly being re worked and improved upon, that is science.

If you got a recall you can be that a brand with a good name like Toyota is looking to reinforce that - just saying 'look, we may of made a mistake... You paid for the car, let us fix it'

Edit to add: I really like the Yaris... And I don't like cars

[edit on 17/3/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
I own a 2007 Yaris as well, and I heard about this here in Australia a few weeks ago, but I've yet to receive my letter. I don't really see a conspiracy in it, but it is a hassle nonetheless. My old Toyotoa Echo was recalled a few years ago for something, and they fixed it free, but of course I was without a car for the better part of a day.

Given the tough economic times right now, it's hard to determine which would be worse - recalling all those cars and avoiding very expensive accidents due to negligence, or letting things play out as they may, saving their money and hoping no one dies. If Toyota had to deal with a recall now due to deaths, and they were found to have had prior knowledge of the fault, that would spell disaster for the company. I think they were just dealt two bad financial options that are especially bad now.

If they have your car for the better part of the day, they should take you back home or work with a shuttle or give you a loaner. The mfg will reimburse the dealers for rental expenses within reason, so in a case like that, no more than one day. Next time, ask when you schedule the appointment!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
To remove the foam it takes about 15-20 minutes....all depends on the dealers schedule...not a conspiracy...been doin em for about a month now...i just need more hybrid highlander/camry owners to bring in their cars for the electronic steering rack recalls....they pay a TON better

[edit on 17-3-2009 by consciousdrum]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What emeraldzeus saying is he ia afraid that after he gets his Toyota back his gas mileage will be half what was before. I can see that happening.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Huh???

Not even related, not even close!

I've been in this business since 1990, and I have never heard of one complaint of someone's gas mileage being reduced, intentionally or not.

[edit on 3/17/09 by opal13]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think the Govt is going to install gps to track you 24/7.

They are going to put bio gas in the air bag too.

This is there evil plan to blame Japan for this.

Sorry, had to stick with the ATS theme.....................................

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by j2000
Sorry, had to stick with the ATS theme.....................................

Oh come on! You can do better than that

My money is on converting the car into a opportunistic assassination weapon... should the careful owner happen to drive past any one on the hit list the Govt will take control of the vehicle and run down the target.

Should the target actually be the driver then that person will be conveniently 'suicideed'... The doors will lock and a hose pipe from the exhaust will appear in the cabin.

Should you happen to drive past a skyscraper of interest the vehicle will fly straight into it and said skyscraper will fall down triggering world changing events....

You know that sort of thing, that's what they are going to do to the OP's little Yaris.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
LOL! Well, thanks for all the input....just thought it weird that there hasn't been ANY reports of issues involving this foam igniting, yet they are recalling the vehicles. Based on what is happening with the car industry and the history behind what actually DRIVES a recall to made in the first place, I just thought it a bit odd.

I'll keep an eye on my gas milleage, because hey, this IS a conspiracy forum, is it not?

Also, the GPS/tracking thing...that did enter my mind, but being one who is not a mechanic nor an electrician or anything else that would lend enough knowledge for me to recognize one if I saw one, there's really no way for me to know unless I bought a few books first.

It just doesn't seem right to me, but again, maybe I'm just jaded by all the corporate greed and hidden agendas going on these days.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by emeraldzeus
Also, the GPS/tracking thing...that did enter my mind, but being one who is not a mechanic nor an electrician or anything else that would lend enough knowledge for me to recognize one if I saw one, there's really no way for me to know unless I bought a few books first.

Here's a thought, if you have a digital camera then go to town taking loads of photo's of all the visible electrics and the engine and any other parts of interest... In all honesty if someone wanted to hide something like a GPS unit it would be very easy to make it very difficult to find... You would probably void the warranty looking for it.

But if they say they are only changing the one thing you can refer back to your pics for peice of mind.

OR... How about just asking if you can hang about when they do the work?? Most dealers will probably say no - but the bike mechanics I used to use let me hang around mainly cos I was interested in mechanics and I could make the tea.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by emeraldzeus

One news report said that three accidents that happened in Japan involving the Toyota Vize (Japanese verson of the Toyota Yaris) have reported such fires without any injuries to the passagers.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000
I think the Govt is going to install gps to track you 24/7.

The Goverment has alreadly done that. They call the thing cell phone. Plus the Government gets to listen to you all the time. Why else would the battery life of a cell phone be so short. lol

new topics

top topics

join