It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Using 'Mosquito' 17 khz for Child Crowd Crontrol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The electronic box dubbed “mosquito” is being used for the first time in an Indiana High School to keep students from lingering in hallways. The school has installed a box that creates a high-pitched buzz, 17 kilohertz, only audible to those under the age of 25. Students state the noise is “really horrid” and “screechy” and even hurts some of the children’s ears.

The reasoning behind the installation is to keep students moving. This technology was first used in Great Britain to scatter young loiterers from hanging out in front of businesses. This is the first use in a US school.

Adults can hear 16 kilohertz but normally not the 17 kilohertz level.

The kids are having the last laugh, they are now using the sound as a ringtone that teachers and parents can’t hear.

Source: WTHR.COM

Edit: Thread title
2nd Edit: Update Link
3d Edit: Same as 2nd ::grumbles::

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm sure these noises will never affect anyone psychologically when exposed for long periods of time.

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow they've found a new way to torture students into quitting school, how lovely.

This is simply ridiculous, it's very simple to keep kids out of the hallways, TEACH THEM. Teach them, and do it in a way that makes it interesting to students, instead of trying to FORCE them to learn.

More and more these days schools are becoming like prisons, all grey and discouraging indivuality or free throught.

Simply ridiculous.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
They do that in some stores in malls, when they want to keep kids away from them.
It's never really bothered me, I usually just don't notice it, it sounds like electrical buzzing.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
As a mother with a highly functioning child with autism who is fully integrated into the public school system, I have serious concerns here.

Many autistic children are extreamly sensitive to noise causing great distress for them.

Why would we impose something upon our children that we can't even relate to?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The page seems to be down. I would like to hear it, 'see' if I can still hear those sounds at my old age!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The page seems to be down. I would like to hear it, 'see' if I can still hear those sounds at my old age!

Sorry.

Link fixed and updated in OP.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This is very disturbing. Maybe they could use a electric grid, in case the sounds does not work. Or you know give the teachers small prodding sticks that can give a small shock, that might get them moving fast.er. At least with the sticks it will be obvious.

Maybe in the future kids can find a way to keep seniors off the streets at night, through maybe a noise that disturbs them, or maybe to cut down on police protection, and what we can do is send out a frequency at night to keep people in their houses, besides no one should be going out at night anyway.

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea, just does not see the big picture and the total effect this has on free will and society.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is absolute garbage, if the scumbags in power really cared about education they would RAISE THE BAR on the educational standards in this country. They're more worried about keeping kids out of the hallways during class sessions than actually providing a quality education for the children of our nation. This is disgusting at best.
The whole system is broken, and the "no child left behind" crap is a bunch of bunk!!!
I'm young enough to remember my middle and high school days, and trust me I didn't learn much of anything past the 9th grade. After that it was all rehashed garbage and preparation for government mandated testing. Total bs!
Good thread S&F.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You know people with the poor quality of education in our nation I still wonder why people allow their children to be wasting their development years been taught trash.

I guess school can not find anybetter to use tax properties money in school like on better education but making some sinister company rich while using their population control inventions, got to get ready the future zombies to keep supporting the nations morons in places of power.

How pitiful our nation has become.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It's things like this make me think we should decrease how many kids go to a school. I hated school because of the hallways and the other kids. Of course I have social anxiety issues, which were a lot worse in HS, but come on... what about the highly sensitive kids? What if being subjected to this noise for long periods of time does have an effect? Don't certain sounds drive people crazy and to do things they normally wouldn't? To me it's just wrong to do... find another way to get the kids moving... do what our school did, give the kids 5 mins to get to class, and if you were like 2-3 mins late you didn't get the credit for being there that day and it's considered an abscene... and after so many your parents are involved. Plus the teachers were in the halls giving us motivation to get to class, lol.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I wanted to present this as it was presented in the MSM and give time for some comments before I put in my 2 cents on the issue.

My first concern, of course, was to children that may have some disabilities or sensitivity to noise. This is fairly small town in Indiana. I know if it was happening in the city to the township school my daughter attends, I would be doing something about it. It bother me that in this story there were no parents speaking out about it. ::shakes her head::

My second concern is this: If a government school is doing this to KIDS and telling us about it, what could they possibly be doing to all the rest of us without telling us? HAARP, mind control, a myrid of possibilities. A thread was around recently with members of ATS complaining of hearing a 'buzzing' or electric sound. I share this too, even with most of the electronics off in the house it continues. I'm not a good example though because I live very close to a radio station so I think that excludes my experience.

But, what ARE 'they' doing?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Umm, this is very interesting method. If this is the first they are using this experiment in schools to see if it can control students, how effective is it and will this technology be use to curve teenagers and gang activities in public places past curfew on private properties? If so then, it is anothers means of safe-control by the government and private sector telling the parents " hey you're not doing your job". Lets see if this procedure is a safe method in creating obedience .

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

yes i have to agree with you on that face that schools are simply becoming prisons nowadays, im a senior in highschool and some of the rules that they are comming out with are just rediculus. it started off with no hats, abosolutly no mp3's, phones at any time. and a new one that says no student can be after school unless a teacher tells him that he can stay after

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I've never posted before.

But I thought that I would mention, that I sold these 'Mosquitos' for a few months. The company I worked for trialed the product for sales in Canada - and were seeing if it would be worth buying the contract for exclusive supplier for a few provinces. It didn't sell as well as hoped, so the line was dropped.

I was 22/23 when we 'acquired' it, and I could hear the buzzing, it made my blood practically boil, cause I already have an extreme sensitivity to these kinds of noises. But, the noise would 'disappear' with every pace you walk away from the device. It also has no ability to control thoughts or actions at all, it was literally just annoying... I would compare the noise to the sound a television makes when the colored stripes/no broadcast comes on, but higher pitched.

The aim of the product was geared more towards deterring vandalism in an outside setting at schools and playgrounds, as well as for safety concerns (to keep children out of unsupervised areas). There was some talk about mosquitos being used in conjunction with police patrols, once again, to enforce safety and deter vandalism here... but that was really more of an unproven product selling point.

In all honesty, anyone i conversed with that had product info for me didn't really have much more than dollar signs in their eyes... didn't seem like the type to take over the world. The government didn't seem to be involved, because if police were using it... they wouldn't need people to SELL the product, as every police station would order a few up, right?
As far as I know... just a get rich quick product that will most likely fail IMO. It failed here, very quickly.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Interesting, I found a ring tone of it played it didn't hear anything however I do have a non-stop ringing noise that I hear 24-7 and have my whole life so wondering if it's the same tone or not. What I hear is a whinny high pitched ring all the time.

Edit: I should add this seems pointless because over time they will no longer hear it and it will be ineffective.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Darthorious]

top topics

join