It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoners eligible for stimulus package payments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Prisoners eligible for stimulus package payments

www.news.com.au

MURDERERS, rapists and drug dealers will reap $900 payments from taxpayers under Kevin Rudd's economic rescue package.

The jail grapevine is rife with news of the looming windfall for felons who worked on the outside in the 2007-08 tax year.

Thousand of inmates could get their hands on the latest round of stimulus cash, to flow from early next month.

While many may have robbed or bashed people for less, all they have to do to collect the money is file a tax return.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I dont think this is right. OK. So these people had lodged tax returns and in the real world would and should be eligible for the payment, but this stimulus payment is to encourage spending in society. These people are obviously not in a position to spend the money. Maybe they can spend it once they get out, but doesnt that defeat the purpose? We have been encouraged to SPEND the money and not save it.

Not only this, but Australians living overseas and pets of deceased persons that are beneficiaries are also technically entitled to these payments.

Our government really need to think about how this money is allocated.

The Opposition has criticised the program because pensioners living overseas and prisoners are receiving the payments.

Opposition treasury spokesman Joe Hockey told ABC 2's News Breakfast program, he believes pets are also benefiting from the cash splash.

"It's now emerging that dogs and cats may well be in receipt of this money, because if a deceased person's estate was bequeathed to the family pet, then they may well receive this money. This is the absurdity of Rudd Labor," he said.

"Literally hundreds of people die each year and leave, bequeath, their estates to pets or related activities. Of course, the executors of those estates have to lodge tax returns for the last year and simply lodging a tax return - satisfying the eligibility criteria - means that the estate gets the money and the dogs and cats are richer for it."
Cats, dogs entitled to stimulus cash

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The article makes no distinction between a person doing life for murder or some one doing two months for driving on an expired license.

Does AU only lock up murderers and deviants? Or are some people in jail for minor crimes or awaiting trial but cant afford Bail?

McNamara seems to think every one is a sexual deviant.
People don’t like murders and rapists, which is fine.

Discrimination is acceptable. Now it’s acceptable to label someone who downloaded music a felon, and lump them in with rapists.

It’s just my opinion but I think if it’s a minor crime they should get the money if they meet the criteria.

Seems to me the doggies and over seas pensioners should be more of a concern

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Plasma applicator

I am pretty sure (the way I read it) that they are mostly concerned about the long term inmates. If somene is in for only a few months for something relatively minor I personally have no issue with it.

And yes...if the pets or estates of the deceased get it then there is something drastically wrong with the system. Although. the pet suppliers need a cash injection too....

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

These people are obviously not in a position to spend the money. Maybe they can spend it once they get out, but doesnt that defeat the purpose?

Well, isn't this just peachy?

I hope the long term inmates are forced to hand the money over to victims of their crimes.

This is something that I hope sparks protests at the gates of prisons, by the victims of crimes!

Absolutely ridiculous!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I agree give the money to victims if there are victims.

I wonder what the percentages in moneys are as far as inmates, pensioner’s, pets, and people who have manipulated their taxes. What a real cognitive break down would be.

Over here we have seen a spike in pets getting full-blown burial services, complete with wakes and obituaries. I like my pets but I think that’s over the top.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Plasma applicator]

top topics

join