It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Russia Rearm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I found these questions/information, and was looking for some answers from fellow ATSer's ...

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Moscow will begin a comprehensive military rearmament from 2011. Does Russia need to be ‘combat ready’?

Explaining the move, Mr Medvedev cited concerns over Nato expansion near Russia's borders and regional conflicts.

Last year, the Kremlin set out plans to increase spending on Russia's armed forces over the next two years.

Russia will spend nearly $140bn (£94.5bn) on buying arms up until 2011.

Does Russia need to rearm? Is rearmament a way out of the recession? Should other countries be looking to rearm in the current climate? If Russia rearms do other countries need to increase their own military capacity?

I don't think this is a good idea in my honest opinion ... i don't think they will be able to afford it ... and if somehow they manage to i don't think they'd be able to withstand another 'cold war' ... just my thoughts ... what are yours?

Full Article Here
Questions Here

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well its a bit of a blind anyway as Russia has been rearming for some time now and has increased its military spending. The big difference is that the Russians unlike the Americans don't go aropund shouting and blowing off about their military might, they keep their cards close to their chests.

But the trigger for this activity has been, the expansion of Nato into the former Warsaw Pact countries, America's continuing imperialism and the ME problems. And no its not good for any of us. The is a real risk of this getting out of control the result being a pact between, Russia, China, India, Iran and the rest of the gang against the US and its allies. For the perps its merely unfinished business.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
I don't think this is a good idea in my honest opinion

Periodic military rearmament is an integral part of armed forces and defense of every developed country - irregardless of whether there is a Cold War or any threat of war. Armed forces are maintained by countries for a reason, and rearmaments are done for a reason as well. If you are to claim that a rearmament for a large country like Russia is not needed, then you might as well say a country doesn't need an army.

Everyone knows that the US is on the forefront of military development and build up - yes even today 18 years after the end of the Cold War. Even in the absense of the Cold War, the other countries are practicaly forced to also develop and modernize their military. The US is the leading force in the new era of global militarization (5th generation fighters, UAV technology, new carriers, etc.), and it is the reason why countries like China, Iran, India, and Russia among others are also increasing focus on military spending.

It is simply not an option for Russia to sit back and watch as the US becomes a military hyperpower - because this may lead to US completely dominating in other spheres such as global politics.

... i don't think they will be able to afford it

Russia will be able to afford it. The proposed rearmament would be innitiated only in 2011 for the most part. By that time the economy will turn around, and oil and gas prices (source of most of Russian government's budget) will no doubt rise again. Either way the proposed program is nowhere near as costly as the US military budget, nor will be on par "percentage of GDP"-wise with Soviet Union's military spending during the Cold War.

... and if somehow they manage to i don't think they'd be able to withstand another 'cold war' ... just my thoughts ... what are yours?
forumID=6217&edition=2&ttl=20090317220459]Questions Here[/url]

Who said a rearmament would lead to a Cold War? The Cold War started primarily because of ideological differences and attempts to spread differing ideologies (communism and capitalism) around the world to developing countries. Such a key difference does not exist between Russia and the US today - both are capitalist powers.

Second - even if there is something resembling a Cold War in the future, it will no doubt involve more than 2 parties. Whether Russia rearms or not, China is bound to become a superpower in the coming decades, and possibly India. Their military power is also growing.

So there will likely be a multipolar world, which is not that bad considering the negatives effects of the US hegemony of the past 2 decades.

So in summary - Russia needs this rearmament program. The military of the country is seriously aged in is in desperate need of major upgrading. This program will also pump tens of billions of dollars into the Russian economy for contracts. Also hopefully the living conditions in the military will become better and safer. As for US and others - this is not a big concern. With Obama in power in the US, relations between the two countries will hopefully improve.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Moscow will begin a comprehensive military rearmament from 2011. Does Russia need to be ‘combat ready’?

Absolutely. It is every sovereign nations right to be able to protect themselves. It is in Russia's national security interest to keep a well armed and manned military in order to be able to protect itself from any enemy foreign or domestic.

Does Russia need to rearm? Is rearmament a way out of the recession? Should other countries be looking to rearm in the current climate? If Russia rearms do other countries need to increase their own military capacity?

What building up of military weapons and equipment does is create jobs. It takes a lot of people to make weapons. While a full blown arms race is probably not in the best interest of the population of the world it does make sense to put people to work and allow them to bring home an honest days pay.

top topics

join