It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 1388 - "Required Service" and "Mandatory Volunteer"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Most of the lazy lame parents in the country will eat this up. You know the same one that vote for the Nazi "O".

Free baby sitter! You mean you will take our kids all weekend?!? wow!

Well as long as they all get a trophy, then it's ok. We don't want our little muffin feeling different.............

Bunch of lame zombies in this country.

Will take 10 states in the middle and you Commies can have the rest.
But if you want to move here, or travel thru, it will really, really cost you.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Still mandated by the Fed. Govt.

Still a bunch of Commies.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

The drawback is that, as with a "mandatory" national service soldier (draftee), not only does the government get to disrupt your entire world, like it or not, but it also gets to pick your enemies for you. In this case, the government would get to disrupt your entire world, like it or not, and pick your FRIENDS for you. In either case, I dispute the government's right to select associations for me.

With that said, I didn't find the word "mandatory" anywhere in the link provided. Wouldn't "mandatory volunteer" be an oxymoron? I think by "volunteer", they would probably mean "unpaid worker", so a "mandatory volunteer" would be a slave, or, in this case of limited service terms, an indentured servant.

But again, I didn't see "mandatory" anywhere in that link.

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by shrike071

I stand corrected on the "mandatory" question. Maybe I ought to read all the way through these threads BEFORE posting an opinion. In any event, everything else I said still stands, probably in a stronger voice now.

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I would support a mandatory service if it were for community service, not being sent overseas to fight in wars. It would not hurt any American to put in so many hours of mandatory community service, and it could be a very positive experience, in which our youth can grow and learn what rewards come with giving of ourselves. What are the drawbacks?

The draw back i that the youth will be needed to make money for taxes to pay off this stupid deficit given to them.

No time for community service
Just Work work work to pay off the sins of the past

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
OK serious time out here.

No one is really honestly arguing for any kind of mandatory service to the government by all citizens young and old are you?

Are you nuts! I already waste enough time doing everything I can to avoid taxes and now you want me to have to work at avoiding mandatory service too!

Talk about punishing yourselves!

This is not the America I was promised in the brochures!

I am going to demand all my money back and null and void my contract for false advertisement.

I will sue for damages too.

I will win!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I would support a mandatory service if it were for community service, not being sent overseas to fight in wars. It would not hurt any American to put in so many hours of mandatory community service, and it could be a very positive experience, in which our youth can grow and learn what rewards come with giving of ourselves. What are the drawbacks?

Well, it would hurt when people are barely making enough money to support themselves and family with their already overloaded schedule.
Obviously, for youngsters in High School, sure, not a bad thing, but for the rest of us, well, we don't have the time.
If people didnt have to worry about making money (which btw is totally pointless. We should be using a gift economy), then I think it would be a great thing.
Think of the buddhist monks.
They dont eat unless they are given food from the community. Because of that system, the monks live to better the community, and as thanks, they receive food.
Do you see the world we live in?
This is NOT how humans are supposed to live.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz

Yes, I understand that it is forcing people to do things, I understand you are terming this as "slavery" (but it isn't really that is it).

Yes it IS slavery, listen to your own words! You said: " I understand that it is forcing people to do things" if forcing someone to do my house work isn't slavery what is?

The only thing the Playstation Generation do of their own volition is eat chocolate and watch TV

If you have a Government that subsidize abortion as birth control, that sex is a wonderful feeling and not be ashamed without telling the a damn thing about what it costs to raise them school them feed them, etc the last thing I want the government to do is make them mow someones lawn when they can mow the family yard! Kids go to school here 5 hours a day here where I think they learn a load of crap then they come home and eat dinner. Hopefully the parents insist they eat as a family and talk.

Then if they want to get into a little playstation nothing wrong with a Dad playing something like that with his kids as family time and that is time I don't want them working with some other kids whose fathers are idiots and teaching them a bunch more crap.

Otherwise the world will just have generation after generation of fat kids watching TV all day.

Yeah well I have a solution for that too but I doubt it has gotten bad enough for anyone to listen

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
So if somebody drops litter and I force them to pick it up ... is that slavery?
You are absolutely blowing this out of proportion. It is not slavery. You are simply calling it so to try to stir people up.

If you fail to see how this can be beneficial to society then you really need to have a hard think. Oh no wait ... you already have a solution don't you

It will be like a summer holiday or a brief three month camp. It is not slavery because slavery had no "end date".

Edit: add last bit

[edit on 19-3-2009 by george_gaz]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this is in conflict with the 13th ammendment if this is forced participation. We need to start ignoring legislation that the federal gov't doesn't have the right to pass and push or state legislators to back off the federal gov't.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hello xmen,

I checked the 13th amendment out a few hours ago because I heard it was in violation of this ... see below:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

So yes, it is in violation. That is why it will be wrapped up as "voluntary" I guess?
I still don't see this as a bad thing as I think it will help create a sense of responsibility in a lot more youngsters (it won't work on all obviously).

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

So, you support slavery? If it's mandatory, then it's not done of that persons free will, and there's no reward in that theft.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Space,
I would guess that you never heard of conscription, also called 'the draft.' Look it up sometime and consider how this might be a 'draft' for non-combat purposes.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I was just reading this.
Role of Youth in Marxist Revolutions
What do we do about it?
Certainly not sit in our homes scared!

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The bill just passed the chamber...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is all very worrying, ive never been much of a conspiracist until a few years ago. so much so i have an entirely new perspective on life. Obama is the vehicle in which the NWO will drive a stake right thru our liberties. and the evidence i think is overwhelming of this conspiracy.. they talk about it in the open now.. be weary.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

A rather silly and bad analogy, I think. If you are saying that the mandatory "service" is ok because the kids will be fixing the problems they themselves created, or even the Average Jo(e) people, then, sure, this analogy works.

But it's NOT quite like that, is it?

You are absolutely blowing this out of proportion. It is not slavery. You are simply calling it so to try to stir people up.

What is slavery? It's getting work done by others without paying them for it while assuming a position of authority over the one doing the work such that the worker has no choice.

Lessee.... The Government wants to get us to do work without paying us for it while assuming a position of authority over us such that we have no choice.

Sounds like slavery to me.

If you fail to see how this can be beneficial to society then you really need to have a hard think.

If you believe that "community service," a rather vague term, really, which can be defined specifically in any way the Government wants to define it, is a good power to hand to the Government, believing the altruistic paint job, you have much to learn from history.

What this would do is allow those PTB to use us as they see fit, calling whatever they want done "community service," and for all intents and purposes enslaving us.

And let's not forget the opportunities this creates for indoctrination...

Oh no wait ... you already have a solution don't you

Though this was not addressed to me, I will respond: As a matter of fact, I do. I invite you to read my book, linked in my sig. Read the Inrto first, also linked.

It will be like a summer holiday or a brief three month camp.

And you're sure of this because...?

It is not slavery because slavery had no "end date".

Well, at the moment, I guess it is "indentured servitude" which is merely slavery with a time limit. But given that they are "looking at" (though like the "Patriot" Act, I suspect they have things already planned and in the wings) ways to indenture kids, adults and seniors... I suspect that if we give this inch, the full mile will be taken in fairly short order.

Once we allow the Government to dictate how we spend ANY of our time, they will encroach on our time more and more.

This is part of the ugly plan They have for us. Might I make the suggestion: Wake Up.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you fail to see how this can be beneficial to society then you really need to have a hard think. Oh no wait ... you already have a solution don't you

It will be like a summer holiday or a brief three month camp. It is not slavery because slavery had no "end date".

Edit: add last bit

[edit on 19-3-2009 by george_gaz]

Littering is already punishable by a fine. Taxes are already paid to maintain public places.

This is someone's warped idea of forcing service to the state.

The state is supposed to serve us. It is supposed to do that based on what the will of the citizens reflects.

This like too many other measures is not a reflection of the citizens and is not even being voted on and debated in a fair way to the citizens. Instead it is simply being inserted into lengthy bills that deal with lengthy and varied matters that the only thing the representatives are in fact debating is did my district get enough pork out of this for me to curry favor with the big money contributors so I can get relected.

That your pie in the sky notion is your notion is great. It shouldn't be bound on the rest of us.

Go volunteer to your heart is content to do what the dysfunctional system is already being paid and empowered to do.

Fine people for littering to deter it and pay for it's clean up. Keep public areas safe and clean with tax money we already pay.

Guess what you won't be doing while your picking up litter? You won't be researching the corruption in Washington or doing anything political to stop it.

Our government is out of control and moving towards a social dictatorship and when you recognize how they abuse and expand any power they do usurp or can gain, you will understand that it's not a sunny spring time day that you are leasurely enjoying the fresh air and sunshine picking up the litter while everyone applauds your environmental and civic awareness as they drive by throwing more out of their car windows at you.

It's a cold wintery blustery day and your feet hurt and the shoes you have to wear in them with too many holes don't do a very good job at keeping them protected or warm. That your stomach is rumbling and your throat is dry, and it's hours before you will see a warm spot, something to drink or a meal.

Something to drink and a meal that you haven't made a dime towards earning while forced into this free labor to your glorious state.

The government is elected to serve us, not tell us how to serve it.

You have no earthly idea what you are arguing for except some glorious little fantasy of utopia in your mind.

Meanwhile the Federal Government has just sent a 42,534 dollar bill to the local municipality you live in for "Clean up fees" and your rent just went up, because your landlords property taxes just went up to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

There's no illusion that the draft is not voluntary. Your comparing an apple with an orange.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join