It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama fuels gun buying boom with pledge to tighten laws

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
We'll see what happens.

Personally I don't expect to see a lot of gun control moves by his administration.

Despite all the fears from RKBA people, Obama doesn't seem to me to see gun control as any major part of his agenda, I think he recognizes it as a political minefield that can only get in the way of his larger political & economic goals.

He's nobody's Second Amendment poster-boy to be sure, however his position has moderated steadily over the course of his career - he's even spoken about how his time in the IL State Senate forced him to reexamine his beliefs on the issue.

He's smart enough to look at the statistics and note the spectacularly poor record of gun control legislation at controlling gun crime (all evidence seems to be that gun control laws usually tend to make things worse), and in the end I think he's a guy more moved by facts & figures than by ideology, fearmongering aside.

He's also smart enough to see that the legislative support isn't there - much of the Democrats' gains over the last couple of election cycles have been in swing states, not urban liberal bastions. And the candidates from those places generally tend to be gun control opponents - outside the big cities & suburban sprawl, gun control advocacy is political suicide in the USA these days.

<< 1   >>

join