It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama fuels gun buying boom with pledge to tighten laws

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Barack Obama fuels gun buying boom with pledge to tighten laws

www.telegraph.co.uk

Manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand, and many gun shops running low on stock as the US public buys weapons in anticipation of tighter controls.

On the campaign trail last year Mr Obama proposed restoring a Clinton-era ban on several types of military-style semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines, as well as background checks for buyers at gun shows, and other "common-sense measures".

His pledge has proved a potent catalyst, with manufacturers recording soaring profits since his election.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Meanwhile Obama pledges to tighten laws, which among other things will require everyone to pass a psychological test, Americans are buying more, and more firearms, including SEMI-automatic firearms, which the Mexican cartels are not getting, as more, and more Americans fear that the current administration plans to disarm ALL Americans slowly, except the military and police.

When is the administration going to understand that AMERICANS don't want the government to debar their right to own and bear arms?.....

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

When is the administration going to understand that AMERICANS don't want the government to debar their right to own and bear arms?.....

More like, when are they going to understand that AMERICANS will not let them do that.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think this has been done to death in numerous other threads, the UK is picking up very stale news.

Until the Dems actually cook something specific up (which of course they will eventually), it's just scaremongering.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
I think this has been done to death in numerous other threads, the UK is picking up very stale news.

Until the Dems actually cook something specific up (which of course they will eventually), it's just scaremongering.

You need to inform yourself a bit more...

The Democrats are already "cooking specifics up on how to debar our right to own and bear arms"....

When searching on Thomas.loc.gov for "firearms" there are 27 bills that come up only for 2009. One of those bills is H.R. 45. On another bill which Democrats are claiming that because law abiding U.S. citizens have SEMI-automatic weapons, that the Mexican drug cartels are getting FULLY-automatic weapons, hence the Democrats are trying to ban ALL Americans from owning SEMI-automatic weapons with nothing more than lies as excuses....

So, I am sorry to rain on your parade but this is not "scare-mongering"....Democrats have been trying since they got in power to debar Americans the use of firearms....just like they have done every time they are in power.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Obama himself doesn't appear to be much interested - he's never personally campaigned for renewal of the AWB besides a short note buried deep in his website's exhaustive list of proposals. His Attorney General briefly mentioned it, when asked, and never followed up with any sort of action - not surprising when the leaders of both houses of Congress opposed the idea.

The USA is not the UK, and the Telegraph is living on another planet if they expect to see UK-style sweeping gun bans in the US. Ever.

If "gun control advocates" expect to get a lot from the Obama administration, they're as deluded as the NRA is. The administration has it's hands full trying to stop the bleeding from the economic crisis, they're not dumb enough to waste their time on silly & divisive "culture war" distractions.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

HR.45 is still sitting around going nowhere.

Anyone can introduce a crazy bill like HR.45 - and just like a lot of dumb legislation, it's just going to sit there and make for good scare campaigns.

It's unlikely to ever get enough support to even be voted on, let alone become law.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

HR.45 is still sitting around going nowhere.

Anyone can introduce a crazy bill like HR.45 - and just like a lot of dumb legislation, it's just going to sit there and make for good scare campaigns.

It's unlikely to ever get enough support to even be voted on, let alone become law.

Riiiight with a mayority Democrats in the House?.....

Democrats have stated loud and clear that one of their goals is to disarm all American citizens, except military, and police officers...

Obama has broken many promises which he has made...

He claimed that once he was in power he would bring our troops home...now he is not only saying they will stay there at least for another 23 months if I remember correctly, but he is sending 30,000 more Marines to Afghanistan....

He claimed he would make transparency in government yet trillions of dollars have gone into a sinkhole, and they are saying they do not want to show who is getting this money....

Those are just some of the promises Obama has broken...and on firearms, Obama has always voted against firearms in the past, and he is not going to change now...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You may be septic about HR45 but they actually started to act against gun owners.

DOD ends sale of expended military brass making ammo more expensive.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
They can put stricter policies in place all they want, but the fact of the
matter is that there will always be firearms available to us. There are too many guns out there to have them all taken away for one thing, and most of us would NOT go for that anyhow. IF they ever attempted to completely take away our gun rights, well there would still be a massive black market as i'm sure you'll agree. It'll never go down!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

What Obama doesn't' understand either is that most American people are not happy with the government we have right now and what they had done to the America tax payer.

This time I will say that Obama is getting to big for his britches when it comes to our rights to bear arms.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
They can put stricter policies in place all they want, but the fact of the
matter is that there will always be firearms available to us. There are too many guns out there to have them all taken away for one thing, and most of us would NOT go for that anyhow. IF they ever attempted to completely take away our gun rights, well there would still be a massive black market as i'm sure you'll agree. It'll never go down!

Yes it will...it has happened in several countries, why in the world do you think it will be any different in the United States?....

There were millions of Brittish citizens who didn't want their right to own, and bear arms to be banned, yet it was...

There were millions of Australian citizens who didn't want their right to own, and bear arms to be banned, yet it was....

What in the world makes you think it is going to be any different in the U.S.?....

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm just glad I'm not any of the Secret Service agents who have to protect this dumbass.

If I were on his Secret Service detail, I'd have to throw up every morning before going to work!

And when the shooting started? I'd be yelling, "every man for himself!"

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Riiiight with a mayority Democrats in the House?.....

Democrats have stated loud and clear that one of their goals is to bisarm all American citizens, except military and police officers...

They have?

I must have missed that announcement

The Democratic Party is hardly marching in lockstep on gun control, it's a divisive issue within the party, and right now gun control advocates are a shrinking minority.

They started losing ground within the party after the 2000 election, and after 2004, an election in which gun control was clearly a decisive issue, the Democrats appointed a vocal opponent of gun control, Howard Dean, as their party chairman.

If HR.45 was so beloved by "the Democrats" (who are not a monolithic group any more than Republicans are, arguably less so) you would think it would have a cosponsor already, or even someone willing to say it's a good idea.

Instead, they seem to want to ignore it and hope it goes away.
Good

It's a ridiculous piece of legislation.

Not one cosponsor last I heard, let alone a parade of Democrats rushing to make it a law...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I think things would go down a little differently here because there are so many more guns in this country than in any other, and alot of these guns for one thing are in the hands of violent criminals who don't own these weapons legally in the first place. Couple that fact with the avid and LEGAL gun owners in this country who I doubt would just let their weapons go...I don't think it'll ever happen here, just my opinion. I know too many hunters and gun enthusiasts who would likely hide their guns away rather than give them up. I"m just thinking in terms of logistics here, authorities vs. the number of gun owners in this country....I don't foresee them taking ANYTHING away from us by force if we knew the score.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Oh really?

Lets begin by showing president Obama's record on gun control shall we?..

Barack Obama on Gun Control
Junior Senator (IL); President-Elect
Click here for 11 full quotes by Barack Obama OR click here for Barack Obama on other issues.
Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

www.ontheissues.org...

BTW, you can also check on that same link what some of the other Democrats' votes on firearms have been, including members of the current administration....

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81

I think things would go down a little differently here because there are so many more guns in this country than in any other, and alot of these guns for one thing are in the hands of violent criminals who don't own these weapons legally in the first place. Couple that fact with the avid and LEGAL gun owners in this country who I doubt would just let their weapons go...I don't think it'll ever happen here, just my opinion. I know too many hunters and gun enthusiasts who would likely hide their guns away rather than give them up. I"m just thinking in terms of logistics here, authorities vs. the number of gun owners in this country....I don't foresee them taking ANYTHING away from us by force if we knew the score.

You can't hide your legal weapons, only criminals would have firearms then, and just as bans were enforced in other countries, with millions of gun owners, so can be done in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Gun laws do not deter ANY criminals from owning firearms...it just infringes on the rights of law abidding citizens to own firearms...

Any law passed trying to control weapons is infringing in our Second Ammendment.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It is inconceivable that Obama will finish one term, or two, without helping pass more restrictive gun laws. For now the SCOUTS will not allow total disarmament of the US populace. Once Obama gets a few nominations on the court, however, things might change. At that point it might be up to the populace to uphold the 2nd amendment, as they will never be able to legally repeal it. All I can say is that anyone determined to retro apply new gun legislation has another thing coming should they attempt to confiscate my arms.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
All I can say is that anyone determined to retro apply new gun legislation has another thing coming should they attempt to confiscate my arms.
[edit on 17-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

We can't allow them to do this. If it reaches the point when they will try to take your firearms away from you, it is already too late.

As long as we are law abidding citizens AS WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ACCORDING TO OUR FOREFATHERS, they should not try to come up with ways to restrict any of our rights, including our right to own and bear arms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join