It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a tax on chocolate (hmmm... chocolate) be the answer to the obesity crisis?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Could a tax on chocolate (hmmm... chocolate) be the answer to the obesity crisis?

www.dailymail.co.uk

Dr Walker, a who works as a GP near Glasgow, said a chocolate tax would make the country healthier and help defuse the obesity timebomb.

Yesterday, his call for the British Medical Association in Scotland to back his stance was defeated by just two votes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Talkabout a nanny state, or is this just another excuse to tax us to death.....

is the thinking behind this really about the nations health or is it in fact "well they're eating lots of chocolate so lets raise the price and make something out of it"

Whats next are they going to ban eating it in pubic an offence

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There are many things in this world worse than chocolate. :shk:

Why don't they focus on the real problems with the world, focus on fixing them and focus on what they actually have the authority to do before going after chocolate.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thats kind of a shot in the dark,I eat chocolate all the time and I could hardly be called obese,goes with anything,if you eat 5 lbs of something sure you will get fat,not the substance it's the consumption

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I doubt by taxing chocolate they are going to make any difference with the problem of obesity problem.

Like most illegal drugs, people will still find a way to get their fix. What they need to do is start teaching proper nutrition in school at an early age and combine it with twice daily exercise. Make it fun for the kids and they will be all over it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Are people that retarded???!!!???

A TAX SOLVES NO ISSUE OTHER THAN TO THICKEN THE WALLETS OF THE ONES ISSUING THEM!!!!

Mod note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I find it highly unlikely that it's chocolate that is behind the obesity epidemic. How about the prodigious amounts of dfast food sold every day? Or snack chips? My guess is that chocolate containing foods are a minor contributor. But that's just my humbe opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that it's chocolate which is even making people fat and obese in the first place. It is the fast food outlets.. why not tax McDonald's then?

Peace

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
chocolate is too broad ... it would have to be on sugar, and white flour .. those are the main things that get people addicted to eating ...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'd rather see them tax High Fructose Corn Syrup. Chocolate isn't healthy in excess but its a far cry from the leading cause of obesity. When you can get 5 double cheeseburgers for $5 at McDonalds, its hard to imagine people binging themselves to obesity on chocolate candies.

Let's tax HFCS to the point where food manufacturers would rather go back to sugar. It's more natural, it would make food taste better, and the health benefits would be enormous. The reason highly processed sweeteners like HFCS are so bad for you is the speed and ease which they are passed through your body. Digesting sugar (the old fashioned kind) takes a toll on your body that you can feel, thus making you queasy after eating too much. Sort of like your body's way of telling you to ease off the soda. When you drink excessive amounts of artificial sweeteners, your body's self defense mechanisms don't kick in as well. I remember back in the day when people would drink Coca Cola by the glass, now people seem to drink it by the 2-liter.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I tend to agree that its the fast food industry thats causing the problems, my son who's 15 is telling me that a lot of his mates whos parent/s are either working of dont cook think nothing of having a mcdonalds at lunchtime then a fish supper for tea,

this cannot be healthy, but it's easy and it's quick, and for most takeaways you don't even need to waste those precious calories by walkking to the shop, they bring it to your door.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have some intelligence to share with you folks regarding chocolate prices in 7-11 stores across Canada...

I will not say where I got this information to protect my source

The price changes will occur on March 23. 2009

The changes are:

regular chocolate bars, 1.29, changes to 1.39

King size bars will change from 1.89 to 2.09, Canadian.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The bad thing is that these taxes will not go to the farmers who grow the cocoa crop, but to the distributors, or whoever makes the most profit out of the sale of cocoa.

I wonder how much is chocolate marked up from the grower to the buyer.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Personally, my obese butt can do without chocolate.

Now if they did away with my tv, video games, and internet I, as well as many others, may be more inclined to step outside and doing something about our obesity.

Ah, but life is good with all these modern conveniences.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What worries me are the replies so far. Why is it assumed that it is OK to tax anything for punitive reasons? Taxes are meant to be a fair share of government expenses paid for by each person. Somehow they have become a way to control what we do, what we eat, where we go, what we buy... and people seem to be OK with that?

OK, fine. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'd like to go on record as calling for a tax on passage of stupid regulations and taxes.

(Yes, I know it's UK. But the same attitude seems to be world-wide.)

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Who told them taxing chocolate could help solve obesity?

I know to much chocolate is bad for you, but honestly who here can eat a half pound of chocolate at once and not feel sick?

Now who here can eat 15 soft tacos at taco bell and just feel full?

I bet more people are more inclined to eat 15 tacos then eat enough chocolate to actually be a main cause in obesity.

By the way, I am not obese, but I do love my soft tacos at taco bell

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is really good for you.
Not that Hershey's stuff..

I think if they wanted to really tax food it should be the sodas, fast foods, and frozen dinners.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

It's not the chocolates so much as it's the fats. Transfats in particular should be taxed because they contribute directly to bad health. It's part of a high fructose sugar-transfat-salt-msg flavour bomb that's cheap and keeps the folks coming back.

Tax the bad stuff (they add to public health costs anyway), take the tax off the good stuff (especially fitmness programmes).

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Why don't they just leave it all alone?

I mean, we already have the "sin" taxes on cigarettes and liquor. Fine. Those are choices people make that aren't necessary for survival. I don't like it, but so what?

Leave food alone. Hell, everything you put in your mouth can kill you.....we can even OD on water, for crying out loud. Nothing is good for you anymore.

Like I said in my first post, focus on the big problems in the world and fix those first.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This was reported last week on newsnight, and the politicians on there said exactly what they think of this idea.

If anyone would care to actually read the article in the OP, they would see that a DOCTOR said this - not anyone in government.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join