It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is "male privilege" real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Women have certainly got the shaft in the realm of political power, career, etc, but is it true, as the Feminist movement believes, that men have historically been happier and more fortunate than women?

Sure women have their own special plights, such as childbirth, more poverty, vulnerability, etc, but so do men. Did women have to fight in Vietnam? Does the justice system treat them as harshly as it treats men? Are they told they shouldn't cry when they're sad?

While I support Women's Rights, the truth is as humans, we are all oppressed, for many different reasons.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Women have certainly got the shaft in the realm of political power, career, etc, but is it true, as the Feminist movement believes, that men have historically been happier and more fortunate than women?

Sure women have their own special plights, such as childbirth, more poverty, vulnerability, etc, but so do men. Did women have to fight in Vietnam? Does the justice system treat them as harshly as it treats men? Are they told they shouldn't cry when they're sad?

While I support Women's Rights, the truth is as humans, we are all oppressed, for many different reasons.

I can understand how 'male privilege' at least appears to be real. However, I really question how real it is. It's more a case that things are different for men and women. 'Men' and 'women' are massive generalisations anyway as not all men are treated the same, in the same way that all women are treated the same. This goes for relationships within their own groupings as well as men relating to women and vice versa. That 'it's a man's world' is a common enough phrase, but in reality, it's only some men's world.

It's interesting that you mention that men are 'happier'. In the UK, recent figures showed that 'suicide' is the 2nd biggest reason for death amongst males in their teens to mid-30s. 75% of all suicides in that age group across both sexes were male. This hardly supports the idea that men are happy or perhaps even emotionally stunted and insensitive; there's obviously a lot of men out there desperately unhappy and sensitive with nowhere to go and no one to turn to. Men are the gender that is meant to 'suck it up' after all.

Also, if happiness is partly based on feeling secure and at ease, then it's also interesting that the vast majority of victims of violent crime and attacks &c are men. The much transmitted cultural image of the vulnerable woman out alone and at the mercy of the night is a peculiar one as it doesn't reflect reality when it's more likely that a lone male is far more likely to be attacked.

There's a lot of things I'd like to see addressed before I die such as pay disparity between sexes and other issues where women traditionally get shafted. However, I'd like to see other things redressed too, such as attitudes towards fatherhood in courts, employment opportunities for men in some areas (it's not just women that face 'closed shop' employment problems) and so on.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Actually I've heard more women than men attempt suicide, but men are more likely to "succeed" because they use more violent methods. In some countries women commit suicide more because they don't get help.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Actually I've heard more women than men attempt suicide, but men are more likely to "succeed" ..............

Tutt Tutt Tutt

Keeping the sisters down ... "they can`t even do that right "
Of course i have completely taken what you said and twisted it .

One a serious note .

You are right about mens preference for a violent suicide , ...... messy too.

=======================================
Historically the division of labour between men and women was just plain common sense, however with the advent of baby formula and a mechanised world any physical disparity lessened .

But every subtle and not so subtle act of social engineering we partake in has consequences for our species.
Just as long as we are willing to collectively take responsibility for those decisions ......

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Did women have to fight in Vietnam? Does the justice system treat them as harshly as it treats men? Are they told they shouldn't cry when they're sad?

I actually agree with you. I think we are all oppressed. However, that statement begs the question, by whom? The Illuminati? The NWO? Some religious or ethnic group? Reptilians? Satan? Who is doing this to us? Or, are we all complicit? Are we all party to, and participant in, oppression in general and at times this participation in oppression works against us instead of for us as we hope?

Did women fight in Vietnam? Vietnamese women did. War is not a "male" issue. Not only men die in war. Women and children also die in war, or are mutilated, raped, traumatized etc. War is a human tragedy. Not a male one.

Are women treated more leniently by the justice system? I have yet to see evidence that clearly shows that they are, in all cases. In some cases perhaps they do get a slight advantage, but in others, they seem to be treated more harshly.

Women are admittedly not told they shouldnt cry when they are sad, but they are told they should not be aggressive when angry. "Be nice, dont hurt anyone..." It isnt that women are more free to express their emotions, or men less so, but that certain emotions have become associated with a gender and we all must "stay in line." Stick with the role that is assigned us. Dont be "yourself," be a "woman" or a "man" forget that there is, in fact, a lot of variation within the genders. Accept the definition we hand you and go with that, suppress your own natural self, your own natural feelings, your own ideas, dreams, goals, etc. Just queue up and get in line.

When we tolerate injustice, when we tolerate oppression, of any group or of any individual, we are tending the seed of oppression itself. And there is no "them" that is doing this to "us." We are all collectively the "them" as well as the "us." We allow our fear to cause us to oppress others, and in time, this oppression creates fear in the currently oppressed and victimized, and there is a swing in the other direction, and we in turn are oppressed and victimized. Like a wildly swinging pendulum, it seesaws back and forth, first oppressing me, then you.

The only thing to do is cut the cord that suspends the pendulum, rather than, (as we currently do) pushing the pendulum back and forth between us. And the cord that suspends the pendulum of oppression is fear. Fear of not having enough, of being attacked, of death itself. All these fears lead us to attempt to suppress or oppress anyone or anything that might potentially harm us.

But I suspect that we are not yet ready to cut the cord of fear. Spiritual masters from Buddha, to Lao Tzu, to Jesus, and including many lesser known humans, have been urging us in this direction for thousands of years, and probably for longer than that. It seems we are still looking outside ourselves for the oppressor, be in Satan or the NWO, rather than looking inside ourselves and rooting out the seed of all oppression, fear, in the place it really resides. Our own hearts and minds.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I would say that males are more shafted in todays society, than females. Probably alot of females had too much power in there hands, and have abused it, so they can wreck lifes.

But heck female power and position will only get higher the more time goes on.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The antagonism between men and women is engineered. Another distraction used to control, like racism. Sure there are differences in function and ability of the genders, but the whole man as "god" deal threw things out of balance. We need each other and compliment each other, one should not be so overwhelmingly in control over the other as we see today-especially in the crazy world of fanatical religions. So while male privilege might be real, it's obviously not doing the world any good-not doing men any good.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In our times i don't believe that either males or females have more priviliges.I'll agree with Merriman Weir that things are just different.(offcourse there are some exceptions)

In the other hand,what we see in these crazy times of ours is that the differences between males and females slowly fade away.Now that's a frustrating matter if you'll ask me.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think websites like this can break through the boundaries of sexual stereotype. No one will know what sex you are unless you make it obvious or state it in your profile. Your opinion and openness to new ideas and your willingness to research new stories is all that really matters here. I think this website is amazing. It is free and it is private and anonymous.

I cannot find the link but there is a website that can determine which sex you are by how you type. It can be fooled though. It teaches you which words are more common for which sex to use.

new topics

top topics

join