It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope claims condoms could make African Aids crisis worse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Pope claims condoms could make African Aids crisis worse

www.guardian.co.uk

The Pope today reignited the controversy over the Catholic church's stance on condom use as he made his first trip to Africa.

The pontiff said condoms were not the answer to the continent's fight against HIV and Aids and could make the problem worse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The pontiff, speaking to journalists on his flight, said the condition was "a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems".

Really? Nowhere does he give any supporting evidence for his argument... but then again, I shouldn't be surprised, he represents a Fairy Tale to begin with.

This is where things start to get whack... when religious figures start making statements about health without providing any support...

In this case, it doesn't change any Catholics stance really, it just makes him look like a total ninny

It's one thing to say you don't believe people should use them as it breaks up the natural flow of what may happen, it's another to make disinfo statements about something.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-3-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Somebody needs to get a condom and wrapped around his "pointifecus"(I made this word) head, I mean the one on his shoulders.

I may get this post banned but hell it was worth it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

"It is of great concern that the fabric of African life, its very source of hope and stability, is threatened by divorce, abortion, prostitution, human trafficking and a contraception mentality," he added.

And AIDS. You forgot AIDS, Pope Benedict. I'm no international scholar, but I'm pretty sure AIDS kills more African people than divorce does.

How can anyone, let alone an organization as powerful as the Vatican, seriously advocate this way of thinking?

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well, maybe his father should have used one.

perhaps the world would be a little bit better place.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I don't think i will be taking any advice about sex or sexually transmitted diseases from a bunch of old kooks who diddle kids.
These people are absolutely dillusional.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Are any Catholics EMBARRASSED at their Pope? You should be reminded that this hatred toward African people might stem from his childhood as a Nazi Youth.

Science trumps religion, by the logic of God,
O-315

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Damn. The pope must smoke Dope.

Surprised he isn't on these boards arguing that Obama wants to hurt Veterans, take away your small farms, socialize health care, and turn the US into a communist country. It is the same type of ridiculous argument which has no basis in reality.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is just about the dumbest statement a world leader has made in the past 24 hours.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am constantly reminded these days of why I renounced the Catholic church at the age of 14.

Just another one in a long string of lies and deceit from an evil institution.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Maybe he's a racist.
... no really, maybe he just want's them all to suffer.
Say one thing (condoms are bad for you) and mean another (everyone go get infected).

And on the note of a few other things he addressed.

1: Divorce. ...? Really? divorce kills? I think king henry thought differently... killed because he couldn't divorce.

2: Abortion. Africa's number one problem at the moment, aside from Aids, is WAY too many people for the food supply. People are starving because there are too many mouths to feed... and the pope wants to put a stop to abortions and condoms?

... sounds to me like the pope wants them to overpopulate and starve to death.

3: Condoms ... yeah, I don't even have to say anything, you're probably already laughing at him.

Honestly... one of two things are present here...
A: He's borderline mentally retarded.
B: He's a racist and is trying to persuade people in Africa to contract Aids, overpopulate, and starve to death.

Retarded or Racist, he deserves zero respect.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The Catholic church continues to be one of the most dangerous organizations on this planet. We would be so much better off without the influence they bring to the world.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Why do we need the Pope for?
What is he for?
The same as the Queen.
Lets get rid of this scum that is destroying this planet.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My jaw is hanging off of my face.
What?!

- He's a controlling icon with too much power spreading a
destructive, and ignorant message that will continue to
promote the end of the population of Africa through a painfully agonizing disease.

He may as well have said -
"If you don't join my church - you get what you deserve."

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's a really stupid idea: As it currently stands in the recorded history of human kind, more people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. So the pope has some incentive for such a silly statement in hopes of maybe getting aids to cap #1 spot away from religion. It's bad for business and all that.

Nah, I'm just being silly.

Edit: Ther's always somethin'.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Manawydan]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The Pope is kind of like the old man at the grocery store who goes off on tangents about things he hallucinated earlier in the day. You just ignore him.

Don't worry, no one really takes his opinions seriously.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Here is a link to a similar pearl of wisdom from 2005.

I wonder if he bashes the bishops into his way of thinking?

berth

PS. And by the expression on Kofi Annan's face it looks he might have the right hand of god down the back of his boxers

[edit on 17-3-2009 by badBERTHA]

[edit on 17-3-2009 by badBERTHA]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Apparently the Pope doesn't understand that what happens in Africa doesn't necessarily stay in Africa.

The Italian peninsula is only a few short miles away from mainland Africa, how long until AIDS becomes a major problem in Southern Europe? How long until it affects the entire planet? Methinks the pope might be a little to old to realize the breadth of globalization.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Why does the Popes opinion even matter? Like a nation of people who think raping children or just showering will cure their HIV or that raping a lesbian will "cure" her or that you're doing a favor by raping just about anyone because you're just that great a guy would even come close to putting a rubber on?

Ha!

A doomed continent if there ever was one. It's about time we stop wasting the time and money.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeeGee
The Pope is kind of like the old man at the grocery store who goes off on tangents about things he hallucinated earlier in the day. You just ignore him.

Don't worry, no one really takes his opinions seriously.

Not so.
The problem is - is that many people DO take him seriously.
Watch the people in Rome when he speaks -

The church has succeeded to a great degree of instilling the
"fear of going against Gods wishes"
into those who are not able to decipher the truth.

If populations of people believe condoms are against God and the church -
they will not use them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join