It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Another link about their work:
Link

This appears to be their official site (in Spanish):
Meteotek

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain the lack of stars in these type of pictures?

Its the same with NASA photographs and moon landing photographs - there's never any stars?

I know there's probably a valid explanation, but it kind of spooks me out how I can stand outside, look to the heavens and see zillions of stars from way down here, yet way up there, I am expecting to see even more and there are none?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Burginthorn

This is a great question! Makes me wonder myself. So I googled!

www.physlink.com...

"The stars are there and the astronauts can see them if they look away from the sun. The reason that the stars do not show up on the film is that the stars are so dim that the camera cannot gather enough of their light in a short exposure. Our eyes are a lot more sensitive to light than photographic film. A good example of this is when we take a picture with a camera that is back lighted. The photographer can plainly see the features and colors of the object(usually a relative), but when the picture is developed, only the shadow outline can be seen of the person without any features. "

From the above link.

It goes into more detail at the link.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks hotbakedtater

I knew there was a valid explanation. On the many times when I've gone deep into the outback (I live in Australia) and lay on the ground and look up into the sky, the amount of stars there are compared to the amount you see when in town, kind of explains what that link was saying, but in an opposite kind of fashion.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ysterlong
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is unbelievable what you can achieve with relatively inexpensive equipment. For me, it is the first time I was made aware of this.

From now on I will look out for similar projects.

Thank you hotbakedtater - a flag for you!

PS. Thanks to Britguy as well - I love those pictures!

It is amazing that for less than $300 they can accomplish what takes NASA millions of dollars to do.

They know this, but all that extra " needed" money just goes to black projects.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Here's another good one I like (being a Pentax user too).

www.flickr.com...

I remember doing something similar, but lower altitude, as a teenager. A friend and I built a radio control module with a servo operated shutter release using a cheap compact camera - film only as this was looooong before the age of digital cameras. We then attached the module to a large kite and sent it up. The results were actually pretty impressive.

This Arena5 person has some really great shots. Their Astro 12 set is even more impressive.
www.flickr.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zupreme
Interesting. NASA and the world governments have, by default, classified all space photos, except for the relative few (which do number thousands admittedly).

I wonder how this development will be dealt with, considering that fact. I'm sure that "they" haven't gone to so much trouble to keep space secret, just to enter an era where high school kids are able to take their own photos.

Maybe it will be criminalized under the guise of keeping the skies clean or something.

NASA does not own space, and they are from a different country so NASA has no juristiction over them at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Those sure are some pretty clouds, but it's too bad the team didn't capture anything important, like land masses, or even other objects besides the Earth.

Maybe another go, with the camera pointed down or outwards?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Those pics are great! You can see the ocean and clouds together. Those pics of going through the clouds are interesting.

Too bad for that guy's shoes.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If anybody is trying this and wants help with implementing inexpensive control electronics, advanced imaging systems, tracking system etc, let me know, its what I do.

Also, be aware that there is a set of regulations that you have to follow when constructing and launching small balloons. They are not too big a deal, for example the tether has to be below a certain test strength (usually around 50 pounds) in case an aircraft strikes it and you have to file a flight plan before launch etc, etc.

It would be a fun project.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow, this is awesome. More people should try this. Who knows what they will catch on camera?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

This picture looks very sharp and clear. I think that these kind of balloons should be released in areas of UFO activity, they might catch something!

Thoughts?

How about a competition for schools science departments to get the best space shots using similar equipment. That way you will get hundreds possibly thousands of photos and some of them may show something unexpected.

Do NOT start a UFO competition otherwise you kill it before it starts.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This is one of the most fun/happy posts I have read in a long time. Absolutely brilliant! thanks for sharing this with us. The pictures are amazing.

We should all take a leaf out of these students book and send our own balloons up.

With all the doom and gloom posts nowadays this should be left on the front page to balance it all out.

Deservedly Starred and Flagged.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burginthorn
Probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain the lack of stars in these type of pictures?

Its the same with NASA photographs and moon landing photographs - there's never any stars?

I know there's probably a valid explanation, but it kind of spooks me out how I can stand outside, look to the heavens and see zillions of stars from way down here, yet way up there, I am expecting to see even more and there are none?

Because they sent the balloons up in the day time. Stars have to work nights, so they don't get to come out as often as we would like them too. I mean, They want too, don't get them wrong, but the sun kinda likes center stage.

Seriously though, because stars are not what you are told they are and NASA is going to start having some real problems soon if you people keep being so curious. I mean you can only keep something over peoples heads for so long before they watch a little closer. There is only so long that the cold war can be an excuse.

We are all like bumber cars and are powered off of the area that Nasa just so happens to control. The Ionisphere. Ground control to major Tom....rub a balloon across your head and see what that energy does to your hair, now imagine being able to swim in that sensation or hear consciousness itself. Superman is always listening. The all seeing eye, is always seeing, but never seen, by us at least. George Bush Sr. would like to remind you about a thousand points of light.

Nasa gives you space, while the real space you inhabit is being taken away day by day. These folks know how to fool you, they've been on assignment sense Egyptian times. The are really into using the Sun and Moon to make you feel like the smallest thing ever, so insignificant to the scheme of the cosmos (which means earth, by the way) and all they have to do to get you to believe it....is show you a picture or a movie, with absolutely nothing to back it up but more imaginary things....huge numbers....we are shrinking even smaller, now just throw in the Allusive Alien and no experience is required, start today, excellent benefits and all you need to do is nothing but believe. Reality really does bite.

These kids had a neat idea, but let's remember that a media company is who owns the rights to these photos. Barcroft Media to be exact and they don't get paid, unless you BUY what they are selling.

If you were the sphinx, you would lift your paw and have a read to remind yourself not to be taken in with the show. After all, you are the main attraction.

You guys thought you were watching "reality tv", but didn't know...you are the show....enjoy!!

Peace

[edit on 19-3-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Very cool thread - I wonder if anyone has attempted to do this experiment at night.. be cool t see the world lit up not to mention what tends to come out at night up there

Camera recovery could be aided by a little light bulb that blinks and maybe one of those find your keys doofers in the box.. clap clap.. ah there it is

berth

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
There are no stars in the pictures.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Hey forget watching the NASA live stream, we can send our own balloons up and see UFO's for ourselves. Only if we want to by about 5000 dollars worth of gear of course. This story is motivational.

Then stop typing, and get out there and do it!

Sorry about the one liner, but I truly believe we should all get started on doing this, this weekend. Well, I'll get started the weekend after (I have an exam on Wednesday).

This should be a new hobby for many of us (starting this weekend).

[edit on 25/3/2009 by Recouper]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Nuts & Volts magazine www.nutsvolts.com has been publishing articles about hobby near space research for the past year or so. They are how to and construction articles for the balloon, payload and rigging. Parallax, makers of the basic stamp, also have information at www.parallax.com...

I'm not advertising as I am not affiliated with either Nuts & Volts or with Parallax. I just wanted to put those sites out there for those who are interested.

You need to be aware that there are rules and regulations (of course) regarding high altitude ballooning, regarding payload weight, cut downs, etc. I will be happy to point you in the right direction if you are interested. For more information, look up "near space" on google.

Wouldn't it be cool to send up an ATS sign payload and photograph it against the earth? Maybe a prize could be put up for the first to do it. Like maybe a special avatar or something.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join