It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I can see Planet X from my wireless webcam.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KIRKSTERUK

Are you serious? Can you get a screen cap and post a picture for us? I never thought of trying that!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
What we should do is organise a couple of groups of people to do this on a serious scale.

Perhaps one group in the UK, one in the US, Canada, and somewhere else in the world...

Once we have a few people in each group they could be tasked with taking snaps of particular locations.

For example, the group in the UK could be tasked with taking high-resolution images of the moon. From that far up, they would be very clear and have a LOT of detail on them... it would certainly give NASA's images a run for their money.

The US group could take snaps of space in general... attempting to get images of worth by sending the baloon up at night, which would allow stars to shine through in the shadow of the earth.

The Canadian group could take images of the North Pole to show how much ice really is 'melting' up there...

Any ideas on this?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
wow the potential to get a crew of people together from all over the world with a few of these to possibly monitor UFO activity is massive !!!!

Find a few key areas around the world and have these looking in the sky for us..... Hmmm def a quality idea a foot

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by QBSneak000

I know! I am seriously considering looking into this as a summer project for when my 13 yr old comes for summer. How cool if I could get pictures of my city, from so high up, then, actual pictures of space!

This is really cool!

Tater,

You might want to get in touch with these folks. They actually have an on-going program especially designed for student involvement. I'm sure that if you asked, they'd be happy to help your kid's school set something up.

www.jpaerospace.com...

The main page of their website has some links to some pretty cool photos from balloon launches to 100,000 feet or more. Some videos too!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Thank you! That sounds really neat! My son loves science and his science teacher. Maybe I can email his teacher this webpage and idea.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Images of the moon with a good camera would be amazing. I'd also like to see some nightshots.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Right!

We should certainly get a group of people together then to do this.

All images collected should then be published right here for all to see.

I'm in.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
How did they retrieve the equipement?
They used a parachute right?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Star and flag!

Kind to think of it, Burt Rutan's White Knight airborn launchpad (first stage) in addition with the SpaceShipOne (second stage) vehicles use a pretty simple concept. They launched the first stage that was carrying the second stage and when they reached at stratosphere level they released the second stage which with the aid of a small rocket booster went to above stratosphere level entering suborbital level carrying a 40 kilogram weight in to near orbit.

The average weight of White Knight and SpaceShipOne is listed here

www.aerospaceguide.net...

although I can't believe that a 1 pilot seat airplane and a 2 pilot seat vehicle carrier can weight collectively only 80 kilograms as listed on that page!

The original thought is that some people using balloons instead of White Knight could launch a low weight photographing device and maybe even propel it to the moon with a two stage or 3 stage concept.
Moon could be photographed by a plain camera, if we put our mind to it long enough. How about an international or an ATS project?
(via donations?)

[edit on 17-3-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Similar project from 2007.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.natrium42.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thats pretty damn amazing, i want to try that sometime.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

www.flickr.com...

Nerves jangling, he awaits the moment when Carpe Diem, his homemade 18-foot-long rocket, hurls itself heavenward with 737 pounds of thrust, shockwaves — or “mach diamonds” — surging from its supersonic exhaust. With dazed exuberance he watches it recede into deep blue sky, and then, with the release of parachutes, gently drift four miles away, preserved for another flight.

At a cultural moment when billionaires like Paul G. Allen, the Microsoft co-founder, and Sir Richard Branson, the Virgin Atlantic chairman, are getting into the space business, the members of the Tripoli Rocketry Association are the ultimate do-it-yourselfers — backyard versions of Burt Rutan, the legendary engineer of the first privately financed manned rocket.

From Florham Park, N.J., and as far away as London, 100 launchers came — plumbers, paint contractors, firefighters, bankers and Silicon Valley techies united by their passion for building rockets capable of blasting 94,000 feet into the air, at nearly three-and-one-half times the speed of sound, as one record-setter did this weekend.

Members of a gonzo subculture, the hobbyists have been known to launch Weber grills, Port-A-Potties, bowling balls and pink flamingos. But once a year, on this bleak, 400-square-mile dry lake bed, they meet for the Indy 500 of rocketry, with waivers from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The rockets are there..we need capable balloons and off to the Moon!

[edit on 17-3-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow I just looked at some awesome pictures. I really am considering doing this too. It would suck if you lost your camera though!!
Lol. Wow everything just looks so peaceful from that far up.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Interesting...

A guy on here last year tried to gather support for a project very similar to this...I was down.

He got banned...

Funny how things 'come around'...

Glad to see someone came thru with the goods...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, if this does get going and there are people interested, I may be able to donate the weather balloons for the project. I just have to check to make sure we have ones the right size.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
One thing that I haven't seen pointed out is how these same kinds of balloons can easily be misidentified as UFO's themselves. The balloon can be made to look like anything.. A worm, a cylinder, a sphere, etc..

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet.. This one was made of 3 trashbags and ended up traveling 500 miles.

And some of them can be piloted remotely. They're actually quite maneuverable just depending on windspeed. This is a hyperblimp that is one of the most maneuverable I have ever seen.

-ChriS

[edit on 18-3-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

It's interesting when you think about the possibility of space balloons. The balloon would have to be extremely resilient though..Possibly a layup consisting of carbon fiber and other exotic stuff.. Maybe even with one of those fancy exterior spray-coatings that is being developed (mainly for homes) for capturing solar energy for powering all on-board systems. It would have to carry a return capsule too but when you think about it maneuvering it in space would be extremely difficult if not impossible. The light weight of the craft would make it more energy efficient (sofar as thrust is concerned) and more maneuverible in a way.

One of the biggest hurdles would be to design a balloon that won't flop all over the place in zero gravity. You could use the balloon to be pressurized, maybe even store breathable oxygen.. The problem is the connection point(s) between the balloon and the spacecraft. It would have to either not exist (the balloon being part of the spacecraft itself) or be extremely rigid to take the kinds of loads and punishment it would inevitably experience.

But when you consider all this its quite possible it could be done. The balloon would mainly act to assist the efforts of the craft and make it more efficient (less fuel and also act as a giant solar panel). But the balloon could be designed to extend and retract like an actual solar panel so that when the balloon reaches its peak altitude, the spacecraft could retract it so that direct thrust could take over for the spacecraft to reach escape velocity of earth's gravity. Then, in space, the balloon could be easily folded out again to act as a giant solar sail/solar panel.
(alot like that one little solar-sail spaceship in star wars if you've ever seen episode II)

-ChriS

[edit on 18-3-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"Proving that you don't need Google's billions or the BBC weather centre's resources, the four Spanish students managed to send a camera-operated weather balloon into the stratosphere.

Taking atmospheric readings and photographs 20 miles above the ground, the Meteotek team of IES La Bisbal school in Catalonia completed their incredible experiment at the end of February this year"

From the article (above quote).

Wow, this is incredible! I want to try it myself now. Also, I wonder why no one else has tried this yet, or if they have.

This picture looks very sharp and clear. I think that these kind of balloons should be released in areas of UFO activity, they might catch something!

Thoughts?

@ only ages 18-19??
That's pretty darned impressive!!
I was to busy worried about baseball and girls.
Congrats to them, and I hope to hear those 4 boys names soon in the future making further amazing advances.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by KIRKSTERUK
I can see Planet X from my wireless webcam.

Ok mi amigo!
Drop the bomb on us.
Show us the pic.
Lay it on us.
Because I know that has to be your next step after that amazing revelation.
What's next??? Bigfoot eats scraps off your back porch, and David Rockefeller is your personal investor??

Thank you for dropping major knowledge and adding to the topic

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join