page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"Proving that you don't need Google's billions or the BBC weather centre's resources, the four Spanish students managed to send a camera-operated weather balloon into the stratosphere.

Taking atmospheric readings and photographs 20 miles above the ground, the Meteotek team of IES La Bisbal school in Catalonia completed their incredible experiment at the end of February this year"

From the article (above quote).

Wow, this is incredible! I want to try it myself now. Also, I wonder why no one else has tried this yet, or if they have.

This picture looks very sharp and clear. I think that these kind of balloons should be released in areas of UFO activity, they might catch something!

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Wow, that picture is incredible.

Good for them for doing something as cool as that. Cheers.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here's another good one I like (being a Pentax user too).

www.flickr.com...

I remember doing something similar, but lower altitude, as a teenager. A friend and I built a radio control module with a servo operated shutter release using a cheap compact camera - film only as this was looooong before the age of digital cameras. We then attached the module to a large kite and sent it up. The results were actually pretty impressive.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Thanks for sharing those pictures, very impressive! I think this is really awesome, and wish I had known about this kind of project when my kids had science projects to do. My dad went to school for photography, and my brother could have helped with the RC part.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
when we were younger we used to buy the estes rocket with camera attachment.
nothing like these photos but it was cool non-the-less.

amazing how high the balloon was able to reach!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is unbelievable what you can achieve with relatively inexpensive equipment. For me, it is the first time I was made aware of this.

From now on I will look out for similar projects.

Thank you hotbakedtater - a flag for you!

PS. Thanks to Britguy as well - I love those pictures!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I guess this would be fairly easy to do these days as even a lot of low end cheap digital cameras have the ability to be programmed for interval based image capture. Just hook it up to a kite - with some good padding - start the interval image capture and launch.

If I had the time I might try it myself but just too busy these days.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Thats great!!! I think there were a few of us here on ATS that had proposed the idea of doing that but I don't think it went anywhere.

Now that we know that it works maybe we can give it a try and see for ourselves what is up there rather than look at doctored Nasa photos.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

I know! I am seriously considering looking into this as a summer project for when my 13 yr old comes for summer. How cool if I could get pictures of my city, from so high up, then, actual pictures of space!

This is really cool!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Keep in mind though, its going to have to take a rather large weather balloon and a butt load of helium or hydrogen to get it to the desired height. I would also not advise you to launch it near any airport or major city without permission first. Here where I live, they do soundings of the upper air via balloons but it is all done at specific times of the day by Nav Canada mostly at airports.

You wouldn't want to send your balloon up into an area of sky that sees a lot of air traffic....bad for both your balloon and the plane.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Oh, I never thought of that. It might be a teensy bit out of my budget! I wouldnt want to send something up that would cause trouble for air traffic, we have a lot here in my city.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This reminds me of a thread on here a while back where a few people were discussing doing the same sort of thing. Just to see if they could spot anything that shouldn't be there.

Amazing that these young lads done it! Well done...

Up your's NASA!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Interesting. NASA and the world governments have, by default, classified all space photos, except for the relative few (which do number thousands admittedly).

I wonder how this development will be dealt with, considering that fact. I'm sure that "they" haven't gone to so much trouble to keep space secret, just to enter an era where high school kids are able to take their own photos.

Maybe it will be criminalized under the guise of keeping the skies clean or something.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hey forget watching the NASA live stream, we can send our own balloons up and see UFO's for ourselves. Only if we want to by about 5000 dollars worth of gear of course. This story is motivational.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
That is way cool especially as it was so cheap to build! get the wind in the rite direction area 51 watch out HA HA.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Brilliant stuff, mind watch you don't get classed as a terrorist spy.
Now what we need is someone to do this and capture a UFO.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Some Canadian kids did this about a year and a half ago.

www.canada.com...

There are some pictures floating around from it as well. I'll see if I can track them down.

Voila, I found them.

www.sbszoo.com...

[edit on 17-3-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Definately worthy of major kudos! Star and flag for posting this.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Seeing the size of ballon they used, it might not be as expensive as I thought.

Very doable.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Really cool idea.

Hold on! With a parachute, arctic survival suit, oxygen tank and flask of Earl Grey, I'd weigh about 120kg - that's only 80 balloons! Assuming that I don't get sucked into a jet engine at 30000ft or encounter an unfriendly descent of woodpeckers, I could become a stratonaut!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join