It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's speaking when we are thinking

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
this is very interesting indeed..I never gave it too much thought..Do people who speak in other languages think in there native toungue? or what happens if your english and think with an Irish accent?lol

Okay, I'll say yes. The funny part is this... I know sign language, and when I think of talking to a deaf person, I am signing and not listening. lol

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by multichild
I sometimes able to debate with myself too, sometimes telling myself off for doing something stupid, or even using it to ask myself a question or create a situtation where dialogue is heared or thought, so that you can prepare for something.

He he. I was cursing all day in my own mind today because I wasn't in the greatest of moods at work today. I had to tell myself to shut up; in my own mind of course.

Here's the odd part of the thinking though. Sometimes, I will feel offended at another person's actions, or something they have said. I will think about how I will never give them anything again, or how I won't say nice things to them anymore. Now, I am a very kind person, generally speaking. The oddity is this... after having these negative thoughts, I have trained myself, or my brain, to counteract these feelings. What I do is, if I think that I will never say something nice to the person ever again, I make an effort to say something nice to them the next time I see them; and, if I say that I will never give them anything of extrinsic value again, such as tips because I work at a hotel, I will share my tips with them. Interesting?

Peace!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Nice one.... but in all seriousness, i can pretty much hear the voice of anyone??
It's weird.... like if i want to hear a song I'm thinking of or an actor (
) then i can usually think of the voice and hear it in my head.

Weird i guess but pretty cool.

I heard the voice of my grandfather before. It was actually kind of weird. This is for the paranormal studies. But it is the whole truth. Here is what happened...

I was lying on my brother's couch in his apartment, and everyone was in bed sleeping. All of a sudden, I could hear the sound of boiling in my brain; I could even feel it. Now I know that my brain couldn't have actually been boiling, but none-the-less, it caught my attention. Then I heard my Grandfather's voice, "This is not a test. You have been infected with a virus. Your brother is not crazy, your mother is Satan, and your Father has been kidnapped by the F.B.I." Now tell me that isn't weird!

Here is another strange occurence... I burnt my lip with a cigarette, because the cigarette had heated up. The I heard a voice say, "Owwwww!" My brother was washing dishes, and I went into the kitchen and asked him what was wrong. He said nothing was wrong. So, I put two and two together, and realized that it was my own voice expressing the pain from within.

I was outside having a smoke. Then I went into the house where I had music playing on the television. The next lyrics were, "One minute you fill my lungs with smoke, and the next minute you drink me!" I don't think that the singer really sang that.

I was watching Rocky II, and just after the part where Rocky(Sylvestor) cracks open and swallows the raw eggs, he looked at me and said, "You're Jesus!" Totally weird!

I was working at the recycling plant, and I was picking up garbage outside. At breaktime, I was walking towards the back of the building to go inside. A man was working up on a scaffold and screwing in a piece of sheet metal. I heard the thought, "Watch out for the screw!" As I approached the scaffold, a screw fell from the guys screw gun , and it landed right beside me."
That was a neat one.

Now, I was in a very odd state of mind during a certain period. I couldn't sleep for like four months. In my head, the thoughts were going turbo, like a major brainstorm. I could hear so many thoughts, unlike the singular thoughts that most people have. I could only compare it to standing in a crowded mall, and hearing hundreds of people talking at once. The odd part of the thinking process is that it was aligned to everything that was happening around me. It almost seemed that my thoughts were manifesting themselves. Just as the time I was playing a game with my brother and two other friends. I turned to my brother after having a thought which was, "Things that make you go hmm!" I said the same thing to my brother, Things that make you go hmm!" and next thing that happened was weird. My friend Nadine was staring at a jar and she started going, "Hmm, hmm!" This happened a split second after I said it to my brother.

I have had so many of these experiences. Neat and odd!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by multichild

YOu only realized this now? Ever since I've become "self aware" that's how I've always thought. I can understand most people in not so literate societies not realizing that's how to actually think.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hearing our thoughts is difficult to explain but my own theory is that when we think each word (and we can only think of one word at a time) the memory of that word causes our ears to faintly resonate with the memory of the sound that word makes...thus we hear it faintly cause the audio receptors have been stimulated. Hope that makes sense

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Acoustic coding is the preferred method of coding in Short term Memory.
So even when information is presented in a visual form , it is recorded in an acoustic form .

The phenomena called "substitution error " highlights this .....

When visually presented with letters , and then asking people to write down what they saw ,people would write down V when they had been shown B or S when they had been shown X.

V doesn`t look like B / and S doesn`t look like X ..... but they do sound alike.

Just a few tid-bits

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Sometimes i have discussions with myself, like:

WOW, that woman is hot.
Watch out shes jail bait.
No she isnt she looks like a woman.

Im crazy.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if it were possible to think in a different language or to understand certain things in a different way and reserve any speech thoughts for human interaction only. So if I see a tree I would not have to think about it at all it's telling me what it is (just by it's shape and colors) and I would know instead of asking questions, dissecting every bit of it down to the last quarks.

I thought of this after learning about certain people who can perform great tasks with their brains or rather it seemed the brain was functioning on it's own accord. For example certain autistic savants who just see the answer appearing in their mind when asked a difficult mathematic question. Where does it come from if the person is not actively thinking or at least not in symbols and speech which might simply slow the whole process of forming an answer by not only having to access the memory but putting it in a linear way also.

Maybe it is just the fear of "letting go" of control over one's own thinking (and possibly one's actions) that prevents us from tapping into any unused potentials of the brain.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Thoughts are Things.

That "have" People...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Nice one.... but in all seriousness, i can pretty much hear the voice of anyone??
It's weird.... like if i want to hear a song I'm thinking of or an actor (
) then i can usually think of the voice and hear it in my head.

Weird i guess but pretty cool.

Me too, awesome isn't it. Makes reading books better than watching films, as well as chooosing your own surroundings and what the characters look like, you get to choose the voices and the narrative

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by multichild
What an interesting point. do deaf people have an inner voice.

If they havent heared the voice, and they attaching the vocal words to the thought word, then I suppose they would associate the sound they create which isnt perfectly audible, but I suppose is perfectly normal to them.

When I first saw this thread I didn't have time to post. I have wonder about this voice too, but never put much into it cause it is the way I am. I talked with someone at work about it. He either didn't understand my question or he thinks differently. He thought I was a little strange that I have an inner voice when I think and it is my voice. When I read same thing. Even reading I am slow. I feel if I don't see and say (with my inner voice) each word I need to start the paragraph or sentence over again. I think I am not comprehending if I don't do that.

Is it possible to think in images? do you think in your own language? And the above? Deaf people, one that has never heard a sound, do they think in "sign Language" (images)?

How about someone that has never heard a sound nor has ever seen anything? deaf and blind? How do they think? do they think with touch or in shapes?

If this wasn't the only interesting subject that I have been looking into I would go read up on this right now.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Scientists, using brain imaging, have found that when we read or think verbally, the speech sections of our brains become active just as if we were actually speaking. The common thought is that your brain is using your speech sections to create this voice you hear in your head.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Do you know BriggsBU, of all the ideas put that one I think explains it the best.

Its always the simplest ideas isnt it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Is this InfraRedMan, the same guy who started the invisible man thread? Interesting topic, its some thing that I've always wondered about. What is Language and does it have anything to do with thought. You think of coffee. If you are English then perhaps you think of the word COFFEE. If you are French then you think of the word CAFFE. But before you come to the word, you are perhaps seeing an image of coffee, or maybe the fragrance, or the taste of coffee comes to mind. Does every person think the same thing when thinking of coffee? Can we truly say that any two people are thinking of coffee when they are thinking of completely two different images that represent coffee. things

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

*bows* My pleasure to be of service.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I say you use it! start asking questions and see what pops in. See if anything comes up. maybe your being called.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join