It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's speaking when we are thinking

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes thank you guys for coming back, I'm sure I could find most things out by going to the library or studying further, but in the fun of it all I love this website, and wanted to post it hear to get other peoples thoughts (so to speak).

I know there would have been a serious explanation for it, but you dont get others peoples experiences in books liek you can when your having conversation.

The mind is fantastic, and I'm sure if we could somehow harness it, we could do a hell of a lot more.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I wonder if Ozzy can decipher what he's thinking?
Thats Osbourn if you dont know..lol

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Ye be great to put that lot together wouldnt it, maybe after an hour or two you could get a decent sentence out if it.

I did love the post about putting the band together in his mind, even before he has written the song.

Its all very well, putting a scientific explanation to it, but in honesty I dont think the ME explanation, can fully explain my point.

You can think a smell, think how an object would feel, and from that you could argue that we have the ability to live within ourselves, much how the penial gland has sometimes been reffered to as the third eye to be able to live in other dimension, if you know how ot get there.

There could be a completely new form of living inside your head, where we could possibly be able to communicate through thought, with other people also in this different mental state.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by multichild
There could be a completely new form of living inside your head, where we could possibly be able to communicate through thought, with other people also in this different mental state.

Unfortunately, most people who have achieved this are probably now in a mental home/asylum.
If you do reach this level.... be certain not to tell ANYONE...seriously, keep it to yourself.

You wanna be free at least I'm sure.

Imagine the dream-state but when you are awake.... something like that.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yes very strange...

Isnt there a race of people called shamans, or is it just referred to as shamanism, where this practice of going into your head is a regular thing.

But I know what you mean, even if you did manage to go there, I wonder if you could be free long enough to tell the tale.

There are plenty of threads on this in ATS, and its all very interesting, and not good for those keeping us down, to have us cattle seide stepping into a different reality, especially if there we not spending any money!

[edit on 17-3-2009 by multichild]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm fascinated with the process of the "inner monologue". How our minds work, when we perceive, think, remember, and feed those thoughts back to ourselves in cyclical ongoing process is amazing.

To get some idea of how the inner monologue can be expressed, have a look into "stream of consciousness" writing. The last chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses is, in my opinion, a particularly beautiful example of this.

I think that the same parts of the brain are active, when 'thinking to ones self' and when speaking aloud. We just choose to "open the gate" and attach our active speaking to the words we're thinking. There's not separate parts of the brain for thinking and speaking, except for the muscle control of the larynx.

And I suppose the same thing must apply to hearing, as well - how we 'keep a though in our head' that we're considering, and how we hear and consider the thoughts of others are, at some level, a common function.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Cheers Ian, I will have follow that up, and read into it a bit.

And yes never thought it in the sense of hearing too, and yes I can see how its the same process, just that we dont open the gates as you say.

There would have to be different compartments for what your are thinking and know its a thought, and somewhere else where what your thinking doesnt become a second person in your head telling you what to do, in which case your said to be a nutjob!

This is great, thanks again.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Brain Map

New map of how neural fibres in the human brain connect and communicate

Our brains are the most complex networking system known to man. We are designed to be complex, dynamic, and adaptive.

You said that you don't like the "me" is the nervous system explanation, and that we are also, perhaps, the energy involved in this system. And, I would dare to say, as a scientist, that this electro-magnetic energy is, in fact, our "soul" energy, and as it flows in and out of our body from the infinite source of the universe for our use, it connects us to a greater energy field, which is, perhaps, God.

I do believe that the pineal gland can connect us to a higher source of knowledge, information, spirituality, because it acts, somehow as an "antenna", gathering up these EM particles (electrons / photons) for our body to use.

I could go on and on about my insight into this subject, which is why I'm participating. Yet, I think that if you're truly interested in this subject, then you really should do you homework and try to learn all you can about the science behind the modern models and findings. Furthermore, this is frontier science, and you can always apply for a grant to do research, if you are a good scientist with good credentials.

I am trying to encourage people to PURSUE insight, instead of just talking about it.

Cheers to your future endeavors,
O-315

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
what will really get you going is how this inner voice applies to infants and new borns whom havent learned language yet

does this mean that our inner voice only comes as an effect of learning language

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The Loom: Mental Labyrinth

How the brain works

I did a search in Google for "cortex map"

O-315

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
what will really get you going is how this inner voice applies to infants and new borns whom havent learned language yet

does this mean that our inner voice only comes as an effect of learning language

Yes, before you learn language, you think in symbols. And, this language is still quite malleable in infants. It is the root of language. And, as we learn a language, these symbols are reformed into "words" for concepts.

And, as for considering a rose as a view of rose, it's scent, and it's physical aspects (by touch); I would say that a baby can conceive of a rose in all of it's beauty, and "think" about it in an auditory way, but will not think the word "rose" until it has formed the word for it in the auditory cortex, by practice.

Think how your inner voice has changed, as you age, from your younger voices to your adult voice. This is the awkwardness of an adolescent as it develops. It must "rewire" the auditory cortex to reflect the new "sound" of your voice to fit the internal "model" of your voice.

My question is can you think in any other means than those you have been taught? Can you dream in a sense that you, or any of your ancestors, have ever had an organ to detect? (i.e. Can you think in "radio wave" vision? Or, can you think of a touch in "quantum effect"?)

We are the way we are, because of what we are.

O-315

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Do deaf people have an inner dialogue?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What an interesting point. do deaf people have an inner voice.

If they havent heared the voice, and they attaching the vocal words to the thought word, then I suppose they would associate the sound they create which isnt perfectly audible, but I suppose is perfectly normal to them.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by multichild

We could take this a little step further then and ask. Do deaf and dumb people have an inner voice? I’m not disparaging deaf and dumb people here of course merely being curious. If not then how would they think things over?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by multichild
Yes very strange...
Isnt there a race of people called shamans, or is it just referred to as shamanism, where this practice of going into your head is a regular thing.
But I know what you mean, even if you did manage to go there, I wonder if you could be free long enough to tell the tale.

Yep...it is a shame.
I think much of what the medical profession classes as "mental health issues/problems" could well be people who are just reaching another state of consciousness or mental evolution.

I mean... I'm not denying mental illness exists and I'm not knocking anybody who is affected by it...honestly.

I just think certain instances and afflictions could well be something more than a mental health issue or problem.
It could very well be a gift or a benefit.... but you speak to a doctor or psychologist about it and BAM... you're locked up or on anti-depressants or something.... sad indeed.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

That's our voice really? .. My thoughts always come in the form of a woman. Smooth voice, like silk, but deadly, kinda erotic... maybe that's why I prefer to brood on my thoughts...... yes, that'll be it..

To the OP -- if you want to know who's talking, you could try asking "hey, who's there?" verbally and see if you respond. I mean, the voice respond.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes blupblup I would agree, I think we are way to quick to demonise people with medical problems, when it may not even be medical, more of perhaps gaining a new depth in our mental abilities, but the second it becomes apparant its diluted with drugs and you are made to feel you dont belong and are locked away.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hi Rockpuck,

I wouldnt go as far as saying that I can suprise myself or ask myself where I am, but I will say that I can have a conversation with myself in my head, question my decision or even be annoyed with a wrong decision.

But to follow that up another thread spoke of an experiment that has been carried out that says that the brain knows the decision I iwll take 10 seconds before I do it, so could it be my me arguing with my brain decision sometimes, when I'm about to do something that my brain has already decided is the best course of action.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Be Careful!

The Devil will speak to you in your own voice too!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemo001
Be Careful!
The Devil will speak to you in your own voice too!

Hmmmmm i wondered how long it would be...

Of course... the devil, OK

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join