It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's speaking when we are thinking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I know this may sound a bit silly, but I was reading through threads in ATS and suddenly become aware that when I was reading threads I was speakign in my mind, if you can understand what I mean. I think to explain it better would be when we see in a film, where somebody is hearing your thoughts.

Those thoughts and when your reading in your own ., are sort of making sounds in your brain, so you can actually hear yourself think.

Strange, but has somebody thought about htis before?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Its just the sound of your thoughts. We tend to impose our own voice over our thoughts as a linear narrative. It's just an aid to help you focus on one particular thing over all the noise created by your conscious and subconscious mind.

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yes I know your right, but dont you think its a bit strange that when we think we can hear it...

Its a strange concept, maybe as people say we only use so much of our brain, that we do have the ability somehow to listen to other peoples thoughts.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
this is very interesting indeed..I never gave it too much thought..Do people who speak in other languages think in there native toungue? or what happens if your english and think with an Irish accent?lol

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes that was my point, not who is it but more really in terms of it being a form of silent communication within our ..

lol and ye does the accent change, and I wonder if intelligent animals can do it too. I'm welsh, so my brain actually doesnt say butt after every sentence or innit, but only comes into play when i read or think, there isnt any slang associated with these loud thoughts.

Its a strange concept if yout hink about it, well thats what my . is telling me when im tying this.

Who is making this thread up, me as a person, or my thoughts thinking it for me so I can type it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by multichild

I don't think that we actually "hear" the voice in our .. As, InfraRedMan said, we superimpose our voice onto the thought. Right now, I'm thinking about something that my wife has said to me and I hear it in her voice. It's just my brain associating something that I know to the abstract thought in my . to keep it straight.

reply to post by Redpillblues
I had a teacher in college who said that we think in abstracts so it's not really a language. He said that he would often be asked, "do you think in English or Hungarian?" To which he would reply, neither, I just kinda think and I know what I'm thinking. My wife who speaks German and English just told me that she kinda just thinks in whatever. So, that makes me think that when you think, you just associate the language of the person to what they speak.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My girlfriend is Spanish. I asked her one day what language she thinks in and she said English. When she first moved to Australia she thought in Spanish but cannot remember the day when her mind made that transition. I found that rather odd.

I'm a musician and sometimes I dream I'm on stage playing and singing fully developed/composed songs I haven't even written yet. All the instruments are present... bass, guitar, synths, vocals etc. I have no idea how the mind can put all that together in real time.

Another thing I've found interesting about the mind and dreams is when something startles or scares you in a dream. How does one part of the mind hold a secret from the other? Obviously some part of the mind knows that the scare is coming... and has put energy into developing the plot but all the time that other part of your mind is like a passive observer that doesn't know any different. Strange indeed!

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Try thinking without words.

You dont need them in your own mind... just slows you down.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I get the sound of hot ladies to speak my thoughts..... Mmmmmm

Or morgan freeman or james earl jones..... depending on my mood

I'm messin..... it is an interesting and weird thing for sure, i've often contemplated this.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Agreed, it takes a whole lot of practice but it's worth thinking with intent and pure feeling. Reminds me of kything.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I sometimes able to debate with myself too, sometimes telling myself off for doing something stupid, or even using it to ask myself a question or create a situtation where dialogue is heared or thought, so that you can prepare for something.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I get the sound of hot ladies to speak my thoughts..... Mmmmmm

Or morgan freeman or james earl jones..... depending on my mood

How strange. I use Patrick Stewart. It's so real to me that sometimes I have to feel my . to make sure I'm not bald.

Earl Gray.... Tea.... Hot.... Engage!

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Nice one.... but in all seriousness, i can pretty much hear the voice of anyone??
It's weird.... like if i want to hear a song I'm thinking of or an actor (
) then i can usually think of the voice and hear it in my ..

Weird i guess but pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
As many have pointed out, its a way then of keeping a thought or action at the top of the thought ladder in your mind, and to be able to concentrate your brain onto that subject.

You can sort of understand now, when people say they hear voices in their ., if as th ebrain is one part of the brain wasnt connected properly to the other part or as a whole wasnt cnnected up so one part of th ebrain knew what the other part was oding, you could get into a serious issue of hearing these thoughts, or voices of other people and putting them into action, or driving oyu crazy.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by multichild]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

With a good enough imagination... why would the sounds of voices be the limit. You could imagine an object and feel it in your mind. You could see food and taste it, even smell.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by multichild

Its a strange concept if yout hink about it, well thats what my . is telling me when im tying this.

Who is making this thread up, me as a person, or my thoughts thinking it for me so I can type it[?]

That's the right question. Your thoughts are a function of your nervous system, and the "me" inside of your body, is your nervous system. You can't be aware of any part of your body without sensing it's "being", unless you're just looking at your skin (which is loaded with nerve endings anyway). What I'm trying to say, is the body is broken down into several systems. (digestive, neural, circulatory, etc) But, the "ME" in the system, is your nervous system.

Furthermore, when you are reading or thinking, some of that signal (in some people) filters through your "language" part and then through the "audial" part. This is what causes your "internal dialog" or "internal narrative" ... it is natural for you brain to make it formed in your voice, but this is not necessarily always. This "preps" the information for memories and abstraction. Read up on psychology, I'm not your college professor.

O-315

I do not feel that this thread has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING above top-secret. This is 6th grade physiology / psychology. Buy a book or go to school to get these answers. sheesh.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
yes very interesting organism315, but cant remember where I said you where my college professor or where I asked you to be that.

But thank you for your explanation, I think i get it now.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by multichild

We must have some freaky psychic link multichild! I was thinking the exact same thing!

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by blupblup

With a good enough imagination... why would the sounds of voices be the limit. You could imagine an object and feel it in your mind. You could see food and taste it, even smell.

Oh for sure.... most definitely

With the right mind, the possibilities are limitless indeed.
our mind is literally the most wonderful thing on the planet.
Is is beyond any computer and better than any camera....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join