It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Need to Ban Guns - Ammunition Manufacturers Notified 3/12 - No Brass from DOD Anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Instead of Banning Guns, Ammunition is what will No longer be available - thus our Constitution Will Not be broken, yet we will have No ammunition for those guns. DOD sent out letters to Ammunition Manufacturers that they will no longer sell military spent Brass for manufacturers to make ammunition.

link to article: www.theshootist.net...

Now it has come clear...now we know what they intend to do.

It is an end-run around Congress. They don't need to try to ban guns--they don't need to fight a massive battle to attempt gun registration, or limit "assault" weapon sales.

Nope. All they have to do is limit the amount of ammunition available to the civilian market, and when bullets dry up, guns will be useless.

Think we jest?

Here are copies of two letters sent to Georgia Arms just Thursday evening--effectively cancelling a contract he had to purchase 30,000 pounds of expended military brass in .223, 7.62mm, and .50 caliber:

The Letters:

Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

March 12, 2009

Larry Haynie
Georgia Arms
PO Box 238
Villa Rica, GA 30180

Re: Event 7084-6200:

Dear Larry Haynie,

Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings. The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction. Mutilation of the property can be done at the DRMO, if permitted by the Government, or it may be mutilated at a site chosen by the buyer. Mutilation means that the property will be destroyed to the extent prevents its reuse or reconstruction. DOD Surplus personnel will determine when property has been sufficiently mutilated to meet the requirements of the Government.

If you do not agree with the new conditions of your spot sale, please sign the appropriate box provided below stating that you do not agree to the new terms and would like to cancel your purchase effective immediately. If you do agree to the new terms please sign in the appropriate box provided below to acknowledge your understanding and agreement with the new requirements relating to your purchase. Fax the signed document back to (480) 367-1450, emailed responses are not acceptable.

Please respond to this request no later than close of business Monday, March 16th, 2009.

Sincerely,

Now all brass ammunition will have to be shredded, and sold as scrap.

Georgia Arms, who brought this to our attention, is the 5th largest ammunition manufacturer of centerfire pistol and rifle ammunition in the U.S.

"We're right up there behind Hornady," Larry Haynie told me.

He also told me with the cancellation of his contract to purchase this brass, and the ending of his ability to purchase any more expended military ammunition, he will have to severely curtail his operation--laying off approximately half his 60-person work force.

Haynie further pointed out this move is a stupendous waste of taxpayer money--reducing the worth of the brass some 80%--from casings, to shredded bulk brass.

Now this NEXT part is very troubling also:

Haynie was manufacturing over 1 million rounds of .223 ammunition every month, which he sold on the civilian market to resellers, and to law enforcement agencies across the country.

He will start tomorrow sending cancellations of orders for .223 to law enforcement agencies all over the country.

So, this will mean that the Police Forces will NO longer have easy Access for their weapons also!

So........ this is how they are doing it, no worries about Gun Bans, they just won't have ammunition available for anyone, including our police forces!

Amazing!

[edit on 17-3-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If this is really germane to the ammunition shortage, what it means is that smaller manufacturers (i.e., Georgia Arms) will have to tool up to produce their own cases rather than using de-militarized brass.

From what I understand, commercial brass - that used by Hornady, Remington, Federal - have different inside dimensions than that used by the military, so the larger manufacturers won't be affected by this edict.

It's kind of odd. I have bought and used Georgia ammo products in the past, and seem to remember that they tended toward producing ammo with commercially available cases rather than that with a NATO headstamp.

An enterprising person could possibly use this as a money-making opportunity...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
uh oh...the people arent going to like this "NOT...ONE....BIT"-Joker.
First they take our money, then they take our jobs, now they are taking our ammunition(cause they cant take our guns).
Wow! Obama is doing stand up job so far aint he folks! What an idiot(sigh).
Are TPTB trying to get the people to start lashing out on them?
God why wont these people just leave us be? The reason S#&% is so f&#*$# up in the first place is because these bastards keep interferring in our lives. Im sick of it, and I am sick of all the harm that they are doing to their own people. I know this is a family site, so I am going to prevent myself from saying something I might regret, but I dont think I need to say it for people to know how I am feeling right now.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
If this is really germane to the ammunition shortage, what it means is that smaller manufacturers (i.e., Georgia Arms) will have to tool up to produce their own cases rather than using de-militarized brass.

From what I understand, commercial brass - that used by Hornady, Remington, Federal - have different inside dimensions than that used by the military, so the larger manufacturers won't be affected by this edict.

It's kind of odd. I have bought and used Georgia ammo products in the past, and seem to remember that they tended toward producing ammo with commercially available cases rather than that with a NATO headstamp.

i also read that the government is trying to limit the sale of used ammo casings that would end up as ammo going to overseas vendors...maybe they found out georgia arms was selling re-manufactured ammo that ended up in some un-friendlys guns. the directive ONLY INCLUDED .223, 7.39, AND 50. CAL CASINGS, the ones our boys are most likely being shot up with.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Big deal.....won't affect, .243, 30-06, .308, .270, .38, .357, .45, .260, .40, 30-30, ......

Plenty of brass for those.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I guess they are using any means necessary! If they cannot disarm the populace they will make ammo more costly and harder to find. This does not surprise me at all. I also am pretty sure this is only the beginning of the limits they are going to impose on gun owners!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wow this is a strange thing to do, but they've managed to do it which is impressive. So they arnt planning on disarming the nation, what the plan is to have them all armed, with minimal ammo to the point were after 72 hours they will have none. Now i hate the NWO as much as the next guy, but that is clever. Let your enemy think he is armed, when in reality he will be easily overcome.

Fox

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
They are only stating they are halting sending specific military calibers.

I'm sorry but your thread is a form of fear mongering, this shouldn't be too much effect on some of the bigger manufacturers and especially on other loads.

Star for the find but it really won't mean much except possible slight price increases.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If it were to be that much of a problem, revert back to the bow and arrow and crossbow weapons.

Plenty of resource out in the wild open to accomodate and to bypass any attempt at disarming the populace.

A well made bow and arrow, and a well made crossbow is just as lethal as any hard-ammo weapon.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Wont be long before they ban bows or put defacto ban involving arrows.

NEW YORK (AP) — A woman who was hit in the stomach with an arrow on a city street said Monday she at first thought she was hit by a baseball.

The 30-inch arrow struck Denise Delgado-Brown on Sunday afternoon as she was dropping off fellow parishioners at a nursing home after church.

Link

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The policy has been reversed thanks solely to public outrage.

Dear MSSA Friends,

I just received a phone call from the office of U.S. Senator Tester of Montana to inform me that at 5:15 (EST) today a letter cosigned by Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Baucus (D-MT) was faxed to the Department of Defense asking DoD to reverse its new policy requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass. At 5:30, I am told, Tester's office received a fax back from DoD saying that the brass destruction policy IS reversed.

Others report to me that they are already seeing evidence of this on the Websites of entities that liquidate surplus DoD commodities.

Our thanks go out to Senator Tester and Senator Baucus, and their staff, for getting on this problem promptly and making the reversal happen.

Staff for Tester and Baucus promise they will get me the documentation for this reversal tomorrow morning. I'll forward that when I get it.

Best wishes,
Gary Marbut, president
Montana Shooting Sports Association
www.mtssa.org...
author, Gun Laws of Montana
www.mtpublish.com...

Link

Will this be proof enough to the Obama Administration we wont tolerate any gun-grabbing crap or will it force them to use more covert methods to restrict our liberty? I'm afraid we'll find out before long.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I got the heads up on this.
NRA will be making a statement .

Join the NRA!

Roper

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This won't have any major effect.
Brass is not an uncommon or difficult to make alloy so one less source isn't gonna hurt much. If the gvt is shredding all theirs and dumping it on the open market, then that will probably drive prices down.
My only concern would be depleted uranium entering the bigger brass melting pot and showing up in unexpected places like your kids buttons.

eb

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Check it!

On Tuesday, March 17, the Department of Defense informed NRA-ILA that fired military small arms cartridge cases are once again eligible for sale, following a temporary suspension in such sales instituted last week. NRA-ILA began discussions with DoD shortly after the suspension took effect, and we were assured from the beginning that efforts were underway to resolve the issue favorably.

www.nraila.org...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

This reminds of that Chris Rock quote:

“Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystander .”
Chris Rock

Looks like we are going that way.....

Well atleast no more innocent bystanders getting shot, right??

Peace

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

Can't some company who already has some of this ammunition just " back engineer " it and re-create exactly the military grade kind that are being shorted?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Glenn Beck and Wayne LaPier just talked about this. They said that the decision has been reversed. So that is some good news.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Update:

Montana Senators stepped in, the plan is reversed now -DOD will continue selling spent brass for ammo.

link to article: www.worldnetdaily.com...

Responding to two Democratic senators representing outraged private gun owners, the Department of Defense announced last night it has scrapped a new policy that would deplete the supply of ammunition by requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass.

The policy already had taken a bite out of the nation's stressed ammunition supply, leaving arms dealers scrambling to find ammo for private gun owners.

Mark Cunningham, a legislative affairs representative with the Defense Logistics Agency, explained in an e-mail last night to the office of Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., that the Department of Defense had placed small arms cartridge cases on its list of sensitive munitions items as part of an overall effort to ensure national security is not jeopardized in the sale of any Defense property.

One of the companies that brought attention to the issue is Georgia Arms, which for the last 15 years has been purchasing fired brass casings from the Department of Defense and private government surplus liquidators. The military collects the discarded casings from fired rounds, then sells them through liquidators to companies like Georgia Arms that remanufacture the casings into ammunition for the law enforcement and civilian gun owner communities.

But earlier this month, Georgia Arms received a canceled order, informed by its supplier that the government now requires fired brass casings be mutilated, in other words, destroyed to a scrap metal state.

The policy change, handed down from the Department of Defense through the Defense Logistics Agency, cut a supply leg out from underneath ammunition manufacturers.

The policy compelled Georgia Arms to cancel all sales of .223 and .308 ammunition, rounds used, respectively, in semi-automatic and deer hunting rifles, until further notice. Sharch Manufacturing, Inc. had announced the same cancellation of its .223 and .308 brass reloading components.

"They just reclassified brass to allow destruction of it, based on what?" Georgia Arms owner Larry Haynie asked WND. "We've been 'going green' for the last dozen years, and brass is one of the most recyclable materials out there. A cartridge case can be used over and over again. And now we're going to destroy it based on what? We don't want the civilian public to have it? It's a government injustice."

This policy didn't come out of the blue," wrote Owen. "The Commander in Chief is clearly sending a message to gun owners that they should be paying more for ammunition. If he can't do it through regulatory action, he'll do it by forcing ammunition manufacturers to spend more on production."

top topics

join