It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(PICS) Our multi colored "star" is back

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If it is sirus maybe the question should be why is it so bright now? Ive seen it also and at first I thought it was an a oncoming plane . What could account for a star becoming brighter than normal ?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

It's no brighter than it was last year or the year before that. It's no brighter than it ever is. Sirius has been the brightest star for a long, long time.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, after much awaited fanfare. I give you SIRIUS. Foot in mouth now. I tracked it from 10pm until I took this fresh photo tonight at 12:55am. Funny thing is it did not start flashing colors until this time of night. Low on the horizon. I officially retract my post from Sept 08' as well. It was Jupiter. I appreciate all your comments, especially you Phage. I learned something tonight. This thread ends now as far as I am concerned. But you guys will never take my orb sighting away from me. HA. Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I first posted this on another thread but after seeing this one it seems a little more appropriate as your incident occurred about 48 hours before mine and the thread here is a bit more trafficked.

Suppose here is as good a place as any to say that Georgia should be added to the list. I just saw one tonight (rather, this morning) from 2:30 AM to about 5:00 and took several pictures. This is actually my first post to ATS and the reason I joined... I hadn't even heard of this phenomenon until I Google searched to see if there was some sort of an explanation or anyone else who had witnessed this.

Sorry the images are rather small. Anyone know of any great image hosting sites that I could use, possibly with resizing capabilities that aren't restrained to making images smaller? I'm not terribly worried about the pixelation. I cropped out a lot of space, but here's a little bit of what I've got...

img18.imageshack.us...
img19.imageshack.us...
img16.imageshack.us...
img6.imageshack.us...

To let it be known, I was using a Minolta 5D with a 300 zoom lens. The 5D comes with an automatic stabilizing feature that was turned on, and I was also using a tripod for most of the shots that I took.

Glad to become a part of the community.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tom Waits For Nobody

Or, well, maybe it was Sirius. Sigh. Why do they make stars that change colors all wily-nilly like!? Just to confuse a want-to-believer?

Kinda feel a little stupid now, but I suppose I should feel less stupid than I was a few hours ago, or at least better informed.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Tom Waits For Nobody]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
if you are staring at Sirius long enough, it will move up, down, side to side. thats called optical illusion. it plays tricks on your eyes.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It's no brighter than it was last year or the year before that. It's no brighter than it ever is. Sirius has been the brightest star for a long, long time.

Prove it!
When no ones looking, they switch it off!
Ive seen them!

You know they?
Them?
Those?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Sirius like many bright stars, twinkles due to atmospheric refraction of light. The phenomenon is called Scintillation The colors you see are the colors of the rainbow.

The seemingly rapid speed with which Sirius moves across the sky is because it is located fairly close to the Celestial Equator. This is the imaginary line in the sky made by projecting the Earth's equator outwards. Since the equator rotates faster than any other part of the earth, so the Celestial Equator rotates faster and stars located near it move much faster than those nearer the poles. Visually, Polaris (the Pole Star) doesn't move at all throughout the night.

When observed through a large telescope, Sirius looks like this: Sirius through a Telescope

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
Ladies and gentlemen, after much awaited fanfare. I give you SIRIUS.

Just like to say - well done tw - science and logical thinking at work!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A friend pointed out this r,w, & b 'star' several years ago and mentioned its position over Beale AFB here in No. CA. I'd forgotten about it until my husband pointed it out to me again the other nite. We've recently moved from a few miles away to where we can actually see the sunsets now. Beale is approximately 30 miles away from us to the W. This does seem to stay hovered over the base, but, like others here, we've been noticing more. First, I saw another in the N sky and a few nites later, in the S. The E sky is obscured from here.

Last nite, however, my husband and I lost count of them! I'm near-sighted, but can clearly see the different colors in our original 'star', while the newer are fainter, they can clearly be seen thru binocs. All flash in the same sequence in the clockwise manner noted in another post here. VERY distinct, extremely bright, like a strobe. I urge everyone who reads this to get away from light pollution, get whatever you can to magnify these things - binocs, scope, your kid's PofC toy telescope - and look before you say it's Sirius or some other nonsense. These are NOT stars or planets and while they may look like they're up and away in the universe with the others, they are, IMHO, between Earth and the moon.

We show them to everyone we can capture and the response is always to same, "WHOA!!!"

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here are some pictures of the "Star" that I and my friends have witnessed.

I have never seen pictures of "stars" like the ones that I and others have captured, why is this so? How do you explain the intensity of these objects? This "Star" that has been visible in the same position for half a year now, appears to become brighter as time goes on. I have witnessed as many as 3-4 of these "Stars" all the same size - along with smaller star/orb like UFO's that move around.

Now your telling me these are planets? (View raw image, fullscreen please)

i31.tinypic.com...

i31.tinypic.com...

i28.tinypic.com...

i30.tinypic.com...

i28.tinypic.com...

i32.tinypic.com...

Here's a picture with reference: Look how CLOSE this thing is:

i27.tinypic.com...

Look at the detail of this orb:

i29.tinypic.com...

How do you guys explain the change in colour, the intensity of the light? The detail of the orb?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Troy_

The change in color is due to scintillation:

Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through the atmosphere.

en.wikipedia.org...

The intensity is because you are looking at bright objects. If you can provide approximately where you are, the time of night you are seeing the object and the compass direction, it can be determined what bright object you are seeing. Stars do not change in intensity but planets do, depending on their position in their orbit around the Sun.

The "detail" is not detail at all, it is a result of your camera being out of focus. Auto focus does not work on stars (or planets). The same effect can be seen at the end of this video, with even more "detail". In this case, the object (Venus) takes on a diamond shape because of the shape of the iris of the camera.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Troy_

I know what you mean. My kids and I have been watching them for a while now. As I have stated in a few threads on this subject, the one from my front room window is always in the same place, or not at all, and flashes like a set of disco lights. The one from the opposite side of the house looks very much like your pics.

There is just something about them. They are not like any of the other stars. I have lots of street lights near/all around, yet I can clearly see them with my dodgy eyesight. When I look at the flashing one with my binoculars I find it difficult to believe that it is a star at all.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here's an example of Sirius scintillation recorded by a CCD camera attahed to a large telescope (about x300). Note the effect created when the focus is pulled in and out. This is the way many 'orbs' are generated by small cameras looking at bright points of light. It's also the principle behind the STS-75 UFOs.

High Power Scintillation.

WG3

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just for the record, I had a star behaving in this multicolour fashion pointed out to me some years ago with red-white-blue pulsations being very bright and clear - fascinating to watch. It was high in the sky IE almost directly overhead and I put the phenomenon down to refraction by the ice crystals in the atmosphere at this latitude of 43 degrees south. I believe it was Jupiter that time which was then, like right now, at its closest point to earth and hence at maximum brightness in the clear moonless sky.

It wouldn't be difficult to imagine it being something more sensational than what it actually was

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
when i first saw sirius, i knew something was odd about it.. it changed colors, very visibly in the sky.

I didnt know it was sirius, but i soon bought a telescope and with manual aiming sigh.. i managed to watch sirius with the eyepiece. i would then up the magnification and realign the star. after getting to the max my telescope could do, i was amazed to see the changing colors blue, to red.. to green, to white, and rotating again.. the highest mag showed briliant rays coming out of a nothing center,

was truelly awe inspiring

later on, on the internet, I would find this star was sirius and an explanation of the color shifts, sirius is a dual star system. we are seeing the light from 2 different stars as 1 shifting pattern.

as far as i've seen, sirius is the only star that color shifts to the naked eye. being a dual star system is cool, but my original idea was that it was a pulsar .. which to the naked eye it really looks like a pulsar

anyways, hope this helps, i smile at the fond memory and curse the telescope that will no longer hold anyposition cause of a crumby non motorized stand

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

wow dood !!! your cam of sirius is cool !! thats what i saw thru my telescope except looks like the ccd ads a lot of white lite in the center.

what i say thru the eyepeice was radial lines coming from a pitch black center, a pinprick of a center not a donut hole lol anyways i was suprised i couldnt see a little star in the center but the spokes radiated outward and changed size and shape like your video along the outside edges

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
while i'm here, and we are talking about sirius

anyone have a suggestion on a good motorized telescope? that accepts a camera too

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Okay, I'm going to say the sky above me from W to E is a half circle of 180 degrees beginning in the W. The first 'star' appears here soon after dark at approximately 50 degrees. Then, we see the one in the S higher at about 55; then, again at 55 to the N; later in the E at about 60. Last nite, due to lingering smoke from a fire, it was hazy and all I could see to the E were 3 disco 'stars'. I've never seen any directly above.

THESE ARE NOT NATURAL. They are much closer than stars and planets, even though they look the same size in the sky; plus, they are more stationary. If the strobe-like flashes of light that pulsate in set patterns that never deviate were due to 'turbulence' in the atmosphere, why aren't all the stars close to that position flashing and why are some flashing higher than regular stars beneath them? Every nite?

These things weren't always here. Maybe I would buy your Sirius theory if I couldn't see Sirius where it always is and the color it always is...white. I have the feeling all you naysayers have seen them, but for some reason either can't or won't admit it. They are as plain as the nose on your face and we know they aren't friggin' stars!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
These Stars appear closer to the earth than the moon at times - why is this?

I have seen this Star remain in it's stationary orbit around the earth for awhile at a time, then suddenly change it's position in the sky dramatically - not typical of a planet. I have seen this Star next to the moon and even INFRONT of the moon where it is clearly closer to the earth than the moon. I have seen multiples of these Stars - one next to the moon, one to the west, one to the east, and one to the north - all the same size, emitting similar light - they appear as bright if not brighter than an airplanes headlights. I have seen one of these "stars" travel across the Detroit river into Windsor right above my head, only to "dissipate" and return to its stationary orbit in Canada. When this "Star" crossed the river, it traveled beneath what appeared to be "smaller" stars that immediately began to move as this "Star" crossed it's path and disappeared.

Why (more like, HOW) would a planet do this?

This star appears just as bright as the moon if not brighter, there is NO way you can miss it - it's like a second sun.

I do not EVER remember these Stars being so bright or even around last year, the year before, or any years previous!

I have been seeing UFO's for 2 years, and once you see one, you're always watching the sky. Not once last year or the previous year did I see these "Stars" so big, prominent, and bright.

There is something about them...

Maybe I am crazy and they are planets, but if so, what is causing them to behave so erratically?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join