It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(PICS) Our multi colored "star" is back

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I just came back in from luch break and it was there.
watched it for 30 min.It is due east of memphis at 30 degree elevation
at 4.00 a.m.

it is not a star looked thru binoculars and saw three lights red,blue+white.
pulsing and flashing it looks like star if you just clance at it but look at it for a few seconds and it changes colors.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
as well as pictures try and get a video clip....It sounds like Sirius to me too....when/if you observe it look to the right and see if you can see Orion....also, if it was Sirius, would it move that much within 15 minutes...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It took 10 - 15 minutes for it to fall below the tree line from where it was in the pics. If it is the ISS it is HUGE. The lights flashed white, blue, red almost like police lights. I first posted a thread about this in Sept. 08. I saw it through Dec. and now it was back tonight.

Sorry, but the ISS moves far too fast to hang in the sky for 10 to 15 minutes. It typically traverses the entire sky, Horizon to Horizon, in about 1 to 2 Minutes Maximum (At 17,000 MPH Average Orbital Speed, it would cover roughly 283 Miles in 1 Minute/60 Seconds).

During favorable conditions however, the ISS can appear 4 Times Brighter than even Sirius! (The absolute brightest star in the Night Sky).

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

So what ? We arent supposed to post information on sightings if we havent got any photo evidence ? So its useless to just post eyewitness testimony so that people know that something has at least been seen ? Well great. Thats a bit bloody elitist if you ask me , not everyone can afford a camera.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
wow finally someone who actually takes pictures of ufos
great job! looks strange

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If there were truly a huge new object in the sky, it would be massive news in astronomy circles. Yet... there is nothing. Nothing reported from observatories, universities, etc. How would they miss this?

Changing colors would indicate yes, it's a star. Unless you are suggesting a massive object in our own solar system is lit up like a huge Christmas tree.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have been questioning our twinkling blinking pulsating Venus with many people who seem to know, and the best answer and explanation is reflection. I have been looking up many years and have never seen Venus doing a lightshow, Sirius yes... but Venus?

I am no fundi on space, i am an idiot there, but everytime i see this bright blinking "star" i think it's Sirius but just to be told that it is Venus.

I have bought a new expensive camera and even set myself back to buy a decent telescope thanks to Venus, not for my love for UFO's! I never thought i would need a beaut of a telescope to see ET's.

It is all just odd, weird..even eerie at times, Venus is just acting up.

Your photos are appreciated and it is great to see that we get the pics with the story.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by qonone]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

The RA/DEC for a star is always the same, no matter the time or your location. Unless you're an astronomer those coordinates won't help you much.

At 1:00AM, Sirius was a little less than ten degrees above your horizon in the WSW (245 degrees)

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I know what Venus looks like. One Color white. Sirius is part of the Orion constellation right? It is way out there. Betelgeuse is red. Do you see the size of this thing? And how does a star flash red, blue, white as brilliantly as a police car? I know Sirius is the dog star but this is too luminous. I wish my camera would show better quality.

It happens all the time. I've seen this myself. It has to do with atmospheric conditions I've been told - usually more obvious with brighter stars that are lower in the sky.

Anyways, you could send your video and photos to Linda Moulton Howe at earthfiles.com as she is convinced that shaky photos of stationary stars are "alien generated holograms" LOL. It was truly hilarious listening to her interview her last "hologram" witness on Coast to Coast AM.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I saw this one or one like it flashing brilliantly in same colors , last night in the NE about 20degrees above the horizon at apx 9pm . I watched it through binoculors , amazing colors that seemed to revolve around it clockwise. It is not star and I identified Sirius in the sky while this was there. It stayed in the NE traveling slowly East for over an hour, then I had to go inside, it didn't seem to be moving or going anywhere besides slowly SE. I've also seen a similar , but not as large , object in the South sky, apx same distance above the horizon as the one in the NE, from about dusk to 10pm that only travels West and flashes same colors , it at times, looks like a plane coming in for landing so BRIGHT. I've seen it while driving on the highway and tracked it home.. it's not a plane. They are both in the sky at the same time now, i've only noticed the one in the NE for two nights now , the other has been there for months in the same place , every night. Amazing colors ! I don't believe they are stars.

Will post photos asap.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I am no astronomer. Bear with me I have some novice questions. I just loaded Stellearium last night and tried to get some coordinates someone could find for themselves. Can this be done by just searching around with you mouse in the program at that time at my location? You stated that Sirius was at 10 degrees at that time, How do I figure degrees with just my eye? One more question, 10 - 15 minutes seems very fast to move below the tree line, does it not? The other stars in the sky did not move that fast. It seems that this "one" moved faster than anything else in the sky. You could pretty much see it drop with your eye minute to minute. I am very interested in astronomy just ignorant in the field. Thanks for your input.

One more thing, a guy posted above that he saw it again EAST of Memphis around 4:00am and watched it for 30 minutes?????? That is not normal star behavior, to go around the globe twice in one night. One other guy said the ISS would traverse the entire sky in 1 - 2 minutes.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

press ctrl-F to search for Sirius.

An easy way to judge the elevation of an object is to hold your fist at arms length, with your thumb on top. Your fist is about 10 degrees high. You can stack fists to estimate the elevation.

Easiest answer, the guy in Memphis was not seeing the same thing you were seeing.

The ISS takes about 5-6 minutes to get from horizon to horizon.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
If there were truly a huge new object in the sky, it would be massive news in astronomy circles. Yet... there is nothing. Nothing reported from observatories, universities, etc. How would they miss this?

Changing colors would indicate yes, it's a star. Unless you are suggesting a massive object in our own solar system is lit up like a huge Christmas tree.

Are you sure they would actually report it, if it was something that they believed could possibly create panic?

That said, however, it was recently a newscast in Mexican TV, about this "star", or someone similar to it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ok, Now for the daylight picture of the same bearing so you guys can get an idea of how high it was at 1am. The compass gave a bearing of 241 degrees, slightly SW.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a65c45c3230.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 17-3-2009 by timewalker]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Stars appear to change colors because Atmospheric Optics. Usually happens when a star is close to the horizon. The atmosphere scatters the light like a prism so only one or more colors of the spectrum make it to the ground.

www.math.ubc.ca...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Exactly the right direction.
A magnetic compass in Houston reads 4.1º east of True North. This means that when Sirius is at 245º(T), the compass will read 241º.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You make a very strong debate. Stellarium shows it to be slightly lower. I used all the landscape images I could and the one titled hurricane seems to match the tree line the closest. It seems to be too low. Very close though. How about the time it took to fall below the trees, probably closer to 10 minutes. That seems to be very quick. I rolled the date back to the date and time when I posted the first one Sept. 08' and it shows Jupiter to be in about the same position. Would it change colors as brilliantly as that? I have learned more astronomy in the last 12 hours than I thought I could. Thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Planets do twinkle but it's not common. The atmosphere has to be very turbulent.

I recommend that you take another look tonight, using what you've learned. Make sure of the time and use the "fist" method to estimate the elevation of the object. Also, have a look around midnight when Sirius is higher in the sky. Then check it again at 1:00. You'll see how much it can move.

But if it isn't there, forget it. It wasn't Sirius.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Thanks for doing the extra work.
Not everybody does that.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I just wanted to say that I'm happy that people are finally starting to talk about these. I started noticing them several years ago on the east coast. At first, it was only one. A few weeks later, it was two, then three....all were scattered around the horizon in different directions. Same place every night, but did NOT behave like normal stars. I coined them "disco balls", because that's what they reminded me of....flashing consecutively between several distinct colors.

Then, we moved out to the west coast. None at first, but then they started to appear, and much brighter than what I saw out east. Like before, it was just one....then two, three, four, five....it peaked last summer when I counted (I lost count, actually) over 30 in the sky in every direction, scattered around the horizon. They were never directly overhead. Then, as quickly as they multiplied, they began to dissapate over the weeks. Now, it's back to a handful. I've never seen them move, however, they do move from night to night at times, but never in a way that the zodiac moves across the sky. I've looked at charts, and these do not correlate with star charts. I've looked through my high-powered astronomy binoculars, and the colors are amazing compaired to surrounding stars. These are not celestial objects, and I believe them to be man-made.

On rense.com, there are dozens and dozens of photos from a man who has attempted to take pictures of these things. Here is the link:

Strange Things Above

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join