It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Retaliates With Tariffs on U.S. Products

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Mexico Retaliates With Tariffs on U.S. Products

www.foxnews.com

MEXICO CITY — Mexico said Monday it will increase tariffs on about 90 U.S. products in retaliation for last week's decision to end a pilot program that allowed some Mexican trucks to transport goods in the United States.

Economy Secretary Gerardo Ruiz Mateos said the U.S. decision violates a provision of the North American Free Trade Agreement that was supposed to have opened cross-border trucking by January 2000.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
So wait a second...not even we have to take their illegal immigrants, not only do we have to give them millions of dollard to fight a drugwar, and we all know where all that money is going to end. Not only they have brought crime,gangs, and almost bankrupted border states coffins, but now they have the audacity to slap tariffs on our products!

I think we should be done with Mexico, put all our troops in the border and let the people finaly overthrow those crooks that sit on that governement. I hate to say this but that country is in long need of a Hugo Chavez.

On the other hand...does this mean that the North American Union is all but over? That the Amero is doom even before it got into circulation? There is at least some good news out of all this apparently...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Id make the entire border 1 big bonfire and keep it burning..Evacuate the us citizens outa there and let them fend for them selfs for a bit..I wounder how many will leave this country if they knew there familys back home is in danger?...HHHmmm

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

To me is just astonishing the audicity of the mexican goverment when knowing that in this economy where even their illegal citizens here can't even find work, would mess with the country that has fed many of their citizens for the past decades.

If their is a country that should be thanking about their relatioship and luck of being so close to the US that should be Mexico.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

So wait a second...not even we have to take their illegal immigrants, not only do we have to give them millions of dollard to fight a drugwar, and we all know where all that money is going to end. Not only they have brought crime,gangs, and almost bankrupted border states coffins, but now they have the audacity to slap tariffs on our products! I think we should be done with Mexico, put all our troops in the border and let the people finaly overthrow those crooks that sit on that governement. I hate to say this but that country is in long need of a Hugo Chavez.

Well, Bunch, I agree with everything you said above, EXCEPT that last sentence. Letting a Chavez-type take over is the equivalent of shooting the patient that has a cold in the head. Then again, maybe that's what you meant?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

It is exactly what I meant becasue the problems of Mexico is the corruption in their govenment that operates like a gang and has been doing that for many decades. It was the same problem that Venezuela has which created the feel of animosity among the poor in which Chavez came to power.

The only reason why Mexico hasen't go through the same process is becasue all their poor make their way here. Talking about an ingrateful bunch of crooks!!

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have to disagree with you guys, on the grounds that yet again we are meddling in another countries business. Part of the reason they are having such major problems with the drug cartels is because the largest illegal narcotics market is right across their northern border! If drugs were simply legalized and regulated by our government, there would be no market for these drug cartels..not to mention the massive amounts of money our government would make in the process! Also, drug related violence would plummet on both sides of the border as a result. The simple fact of the matter is that our own government is profiting from the illegal drug trade, and businesses over here absolutely love the cheap labor that illegal mexican immigrants provide. THESE are the real reasons that our border with Mexico hasn't been shored up, any program directed at stemming the flow of illegals into this country via our southern border is nothing more than political posturing in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
notice how they only put tarrifs on products coming across.
the funny thing is that they didn't put tariffs on the grain , corn, rice , and beans that are coming into their country. i say we cut off their food and see how much their additude changes.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This truck issue has been a long hill battle. It was previously approved as part of NAFTA and the US has not lived up to its end of the deal.

IMO, Mexico has the right to retaliate if the US can't live up to its terms of the deal.

I have no doubt the US would have done likewise if the roles were reversed.

BTW what does this retaliation have to do with cartels and illegal immigration?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Instead of continuing the Bush/Cheney policies in foreign policy as the Obama has decided to do
, perhaps he should redirect that entire war mentality by invading Mexico and all of Central America and give all those countries a shot at being Commonwealths of the United States.

Just an idea from a lady off the grid who thinks the Democrats and Pres. Obama are making a huge mistake in continuing the Bush/Cheney foreign policies in the Middle East and Afghanistan and Pakistan. Taking care of that southern U.S. border would be a great help to the USA as well as Canada.......

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
But isn't that what we want?
No free trade agreements?
No North American Union?
The problem of illegal immigrants clearly, logically, isn't with Mexico or the immigrants.
Its with the people who employ them!
That make a market for them.
Isn't it them who are the problem?
The greedy selfish pigs, who want to pay someone $2 an hour, so they can squeeze out a few more million to buy a better yacht.
They are the ones responsible for Mexicans coming over the border.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Note the comments at the end of the OP article:

Ruiz Mateos said Mexico remains open to resolving the dispute and is "confident that we will find a satisfactory solution on this issue." The trucking program is one of the last and largest disputes between the U.S. and Mexico over the 1994 NAFTA accords. In 2001, Mexico brought the case before a dispute-resolution panel, which recommended that the United States comply with the program and allow Mexican trucks within its borders.

Translation- The US will bow to pressure, and allow the Mexican trucks into the US. Nothing like giving into a bully to get them to stop bullying!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

Agreed on all counts! Looks like i'm going to have to change you from foe into friend as i've been agreeing with what you've had to say quite a bit lately

No NAFTA would make me a very happy guy.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

What you are missing is that Clinton promised in NAFTA to allow Mexican truckers free entrance to the US. Up 'til then, and since Shrub Bush, they've been denied access to US highways because of safety concerns. They'd have to offload their cargo at the border or just past it.

Bush refused to allow Mexican trucks into the US, despite Clinton's NAFTA promise, unless they met US safety, pollution and driving standards.

We either honor the "Treaty" or abrogate it.

My guess is that Obama will find some concession that will approach NAFTA compliance, rather than take a stand.

Mexico is a huge trading partner/market, after Canada, for US goods.
Obama will compromise standards, so maybe your NAU and Amero are not gone entirely. There's still "Hope" for you that things will "Change."

jw

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin

Instead of continuing the Bush/Cheney policies in foreign policy as the Obama has decided to do
, perhaps he should redirect that entire war mentality by invading Mexico and all of Central America and give all those countries a shot at being Commonwealths of the United States.

Are you serious? A joke surely?

It's that type of meddling and Empire building in other countries that has given the US the bad name it has around the world ATM. That's why groups like Al-Qaeda exist now. I can just imagine how unsafe that would make your homeland... and rightly so!

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It got everything to do with it in the sense that the Mexican government for years has used the US to deflect the attention of the problems of its citizens and send them here where they get enslave. Instead of creating an economy woth vast natural resources that they have they rather keep the power and the wealth in the hands of the few and what does this cause as a result? Crime and immigration.

If your own country cannot provide you with an adecuate way of making a living then organized crime, crime in general and gangs would not seem so bad of an option in order to put food on the table for your family, or others decide to leave that situation altogether and decide to come here.

The Mexican oligarchy is as bad as the Russian the only thing they where lacking was the organized crime part aka "mafia" and now we are seeing it thrive with of course the help of corrupt government, military and police officials.

I dont have a problem with mexicans that come here and work as I'm hispanic too and can correlate to living in a place where there is nothing for you because those with power just keep feeding themselves. What gets me mad are the governments that are influence by the oligarchs that dont care how many people die of hunger as long as they have their yachts, bentleys and mansions.

There is wealth is Mexico just in the hands of a few.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
You can bet all you've got that Calderon will be leaving as prime minister really soon. He's turn against his masters on : drugs and free trade.

He's toasted IMO.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Yeah and the Mexican government has gone on the record more than once saying that they would deal with the problem of illegal immigration...to what end? I guess that after 30 years we can see to which end.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

100% correct. If there weren't jobs waiting here, there would be no illegal immigration. No one wants to face this issue with action.

Solution? $$
Find, identify and penalize employers; charge Mexico for illegals, pay them for busting "coyotes."

See this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

jw

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Last time I checked Mexico didn't force US employers to hire illegals.

Mexico didn't force the US to allow 50% of the people who were issued a US visa to overstay their visits.

Mexico didn't tell the US government to authorize appear in court slips to OTM's (Other Than Mexicans) that were apprehended on the border and who later never appeared for court.

And I still don't see the connection you are making about the trucks and illegal immigration.

BTW welcome back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join