It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When does the 'open mind' close?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
People tend to congregate into groups.

When does the ideology of these groups become the norm? Just because they are outside of the 'norm' doesn't mean that their minds don't solidify into that train of thought.

I feel that opening your mind to ALL posibilities is the definition of not being a sheeple. Isn't believing in something, no matter what others say, a form of sheeple? No matter what it is?

Sure perhaps you believe in something that most people don't. Great. Though how far do you have to go until you become just another variant of sheeple?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76
When does the ideology of these groups become the norm?

I tend to believe that this occurs when the collective group becomes capable of convincing others that their ideas put themselves at risk of danger. When the group places the individual in a state of risk aversion, the individual's best response becomes a consignation of power, free will, opinion, etc. to the group itself.

Originally posted by dragonking76Though how far do you have to go until you become just another variant of sheeple?

That's actually a very pervasive problem. Some people will state that they are thinking for themselves, while in fact they are merely repeating the thoughts of others. At this point, you have evaluate whether or not the opinion of that other is valid. If the opinion presented fails a valuation test, subject to several variables, such as temporal/spatial relevance, factual discrepancies, biases, common criticisms, then by following such an opinion you would just become another sheep. The world is full of opinions, and no opinion is valuable forever. Constantly changing circumstances alter both the nature and consequent validity of any opinion.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I feel that one should always keep an open mind, but not so much so that it falls out!

you should check outRobert Anton Wilson's Prometheus Rising for some answers to your questions and then some..

you are correct that we all are ''sheeple'' in one sense or another, or as I prefer lemmings..

Out of instinct we look to others for direction, and in our development towards adulthood, we are imprinted with all sorts of knowledge that shapes each individual person. According to Wilson, human consciousness can be modeled by 8 circuits...

the following is a basic representation....prometheus rising provides a more thorough revelation of the model....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cf36e6d4c0f.jpg[/atsimg]

being set in ones ways, in a balanced and mindful manner, can lead to success...

opening the mind to multiple perspectives on reality is a way to create balance in the soul.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Thanksyou for the link, Iiinvision. Reading it now. I guess I shouldn't rain on everyone else's parade?

I KNEW SOMEONE ELSE DOT DOT DOT

So much info out there that I just don't know exists...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I say the mind closes when you allow it to, it's when you let it go and forget what brought you to opening your mind

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The moment you make the switch from 'receptive' to 'believer' is the moment your mind closes.

That is the greatest advantage that the Scientific Method has over any other type of 'true finding' method. No belief ever has to be held. Everything can be tested, retested, and retested. Science is what helps us further open our minds, and has been what helps us explore the universe with results that anyone can duplicate.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The ideology becomes the norm when a majority of society believes in that idea.

And nobody has a completely open mind, everyone has some sort of opinion unless the issue is new to them. Madison wrote in Federalist 10 that factions will form no matter what you try to do to prevent. Like-minded people will always seek out others who believe as they do and try to influence whatever situation they are in, whether it be political, social, or economic.

Once an ideology becomes the norm you also begin to see the condition of Groupthink where people may have a differing opinion but believe that since so many people believe in something that they must be right so they remain silent.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cognoscente

I tend to believe that this occurs when the collective group becomes capable of convincing others that their ideas put themselves at risk of danger......... Constantly changing circumstances alter both the nature and consequent validity of any opinion.

The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements.[1] It is the distressing mental state that people feel when they "find themselves doing things that don't fit with what they know, or having opinions that do not fit with other opinions they hold."[4] A key assumption is that people want their expectations to meet reality, creating a sense of equilibrium.[5] Likewise, another assumption is that a person will avoid situations or information sources that give rise to feelings of uneasiness, or dissonance.[1]

Cognitive Dissonance Results

edit on 24-5-2013 by Logarock because: n

top topics

join