It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness signature discovered spanning the brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Consciousness signature discovered spanning the brain

www.newscie ntist.com

Electrodes implanted in the brains of people with epilepsy might have resolved an ancient question about consciousness.

Signals from the electrodes seem to show that consciousness arises from the coordinated activity of the entire brain. The signals also take us closer to finding an objective "consciousness signature" that could be used to probe the process in animals and people with brain damage without inserting electrodes.

Previously it wasn't clear whether a dedicated brain area, or "seat of consciousness", was responsible for guiding our subjective view of the world, or whether consciousness was the result of concerted activity across the whole brain.

Probing the process has been a challenge, as non-invasive techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging and EEG give either spatial or temporal information but not both. The best way to get both simultaneously is to implant electrodes deep inside the skull, but it is difficult to justify this in healthy people for ethical reasons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
That is a breakthrough. Consciousness is something so abstract I never thought that scientist could detect it. For me consciousness is the one thing that defines us and I would even say that it’s our soul. I wonder how this finding could be used. Could they one day trap our consciousness or redefine it?

www.newscie ntist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

consciousness arises from the coordinated activity of the entire brain

along with different regions this includes both the left and right hemispheres. The left and right, front and back working together to create a simulated awareness obtained from a slightly limited collection of information from the sensory organs.

I am of the persuasion that everything in the universe is ''conscious'' to varying degrees based on my perceptions...

when the technology arises, if it hasn't already, they will be able to ''activate'' different regions of the brain with electromagnetic impulses that could possibly create a virtual reality. Or they, those that have unlimited capital to spend on projects like these, could even develop silent weapons of mass distraction that use different frequencies that could affect emotions, perceptions of events, and state of mind.

On a more positive note, they could also use these findings to heal those with mental issues that affect their lives in extreme ways.

Looking at how fast we have developed in the last century, we ought to see giant leaps in fields like this, or we won't even have a clue as to what is going on, as we would be directed like wireless robots....

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The best way to get both simultaneously is to implant electrodes deep inside the skull, but it is difficult to justify this in healthy people for ethical reasons.

reminds me of those crazy nazy psychiatrists.

so it's easy to justify this in unhealthy people ?

why don't they do this to themselves those unconscious psychos ?

anyway,

consciousness arises from the coordinated activity of the entire BODY and there is no need of electrodes or billions of dollars to find that out.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm getting a bad link or something and can't read the whole thing, but judging from the snippet and the replies I'd say this "finding" resolves very little.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CapsFan8

Link is working fine.

top topics

join